Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problems Problems Problems

David1978

What to say about this absolute pile of junk? I can not believe how this "car" is the UK's best selling, as it only comes 2nd to the Fiat Punto MK 1  that I had the misfortune of owning in terms of reliabilty/build quality.

So here's a list:

1. Automatic transmission. Awful. Next to useless in cold weather. Ford do not want to know.

2. Rattles from every conceivable place you can think of. Horrendous creaking from passenger seat. Ford do not want to know.

3. MPG is horrendous, even for an automatic.

4. Problems with the Sync 3 screen. Intermittent so far, but screen is completely blank after turning ignition on. Power button will not turn it on, the latest incident where it did switch on was when it went over a bump. Guess what. Yep, that's right, Ford don't want to know.

5. Ride is harsh. Can feel every bump judder through the driver seat and steering wheel. Ford do not want to know.

6. Car smelling of petrol INSIDE the cabin. Ford do not want to know. Issue has cleared, for now, but not exactly confidence boosting for how this car behaves.

7. Ford KNOW about the Automatic transmission problems and the Sync 3 issues. They refuse to do anything about it.

8. Ford Dealerships are useless and use every excuse under the sun so as not to fix their cars.

9. Ford UK does not answer complaints

So, there you go. I could go into more detail, but this car isn't worth the trouble. If you own a Fiesta, or any Ford for that matter, get rid of it for something way better. If you're thinking of getting a Ford. Don't. All it'll do is cause you grief. From experience, Vauxhall, FIAT, VW (yes VW), Nissan (owned by Renault), Chevrolet (thankfully no longer sold in the UK, but still 2nd hand ones on sale) and now Ford will cause you nothing but grief.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Mate that's just your experience, most of us really like our fiestas, at this point its a well known thing to avoid the automatic ford's lol

• Like 1

Yes, understand if you are angry about specific things that have happened to you, but you're in the wrong place really to vent. My humble little Mk8 100PS is a ***** delight, I absolutely love the thing, and the old Mk7 before that had it's moments too. They are great cars that rightfully deserve their long-standing place at the top of the best selling lists.

• Like 1

Do you need a hug? You sound like you need a hug.

Had a 1.0 as a courtesy car and it was pleasure to drive, the mk7 ST I used to have was bad build quality and felt rattly, got a MK8 ST and its lovely, yours sounds like a lemon. 

• Like 2

That's a lot of manufacturers you don't like...have you considered the problem may not lie with the cars?

Sales lists are meaningless really.  It's only once you've bought the car that you find out how awful it is...by that point, it's already on the sales list.  Same goes for box office sales,  never understood how that can be used to determine how food a film is.  

Lots of people have bought Mk8 Golfs, based on their experiences with the Mk7...sales figures are high, that doesn't mean the car is any good!

Lastly, it seems like you want a premium motor...nothing wrong with that...but you can't expect it for Ford money.  I'm in the same boat with poor ride, vibrations, general lack of refinement etc.  But most people don't care about any of that...as long as they can use the car as a smart phone and it looks cool from the outside then that's what sells cars nowadays.  We're in the minority!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You don't say how old / New your Fiesta is ?

Are all these issues covered under warranty ? 

If it's on Finance then put the ball firmly in the lenders court.

You have alternatives..........

Mine's an automatic and I wouldn't part with it.

Yes, as already said, it sounds like an unlucky experience there. I've had a lot of cars in the last 50 years and unfortunately in my experience these things can happen with any brand, "premium" or otherwise.

Fwiw, mine has been trouble free for 4 years, no rattles, friends of mine have had a 100ps automatic for the same period, absolutely love it and again no problems.

My neighbour's just bought her third Fiesta in a row after loads of issues with MINIs, ours is our fifth Fiesta, I know other members have had more than that.

• Like 1

I loke my mk8 but it also has problems. 

My driver seat has some play in it and when I go on a roundabout I can feel it moving slightly, I have had some scares with it but don't know if the dealership is going to do something about it. I also have a loud knock when I turn the car while braking and they don't know the solution to it. A bit of a bummer I'd say. 

Other than that, I feel lucky to have bought the car right before the prices have skyrocketed in the past year. 

Cost me about 12000 euros with about 29000 kms in it. 

My little 1.6 Titanium2011 reg  aint missed a beat in over 7 years i have had it.

Good luck

Had my mk7.5 for nearly 5 years. Did have a few problems at first but got sorted straight away. Only thing I have a gripe about is the fuel economy but the type of driving I do the engine doesn't get up to operating temperature so I just have to live with it. Was thinking of swapping for something else but the way car prices are right now and with nothing wrong with my Fiesta I am going to keep it a bit longer.

Car only has 27K on it. Not bad for 7 years old!!!!

I am not keen on the mk8 Fiesta because it can't have the same luxury as my Titanium X on the mk8 Titanium X (no full leather at all.)

@David1978Hope you get yours sorted out either through Ford HQ or your finance provider if its on finance.

• Like 1

It's not that I don't like manufacturers, as I said, I'm going on my own experience. The VW Golf I had was a MK IV diesel. The engine was fine, but at the time it had no central locking, so the barrels in the locks kept freezing and breaking in cold weather. New brake pads/discs were installed on it and it was never the same afterwards. Fiat: Fix It Again Tam. I need say no more. Vauxhall. Owned 2. Both had power steering issues, handbrake issues, tracking issues, electrical issues to name a few. I'm probably being mean to the Chevrolet, it was a decent wee car, just horrendously underpowered and you could not feel the clutch "bite". Nissan, brakes failed TWICE before and after the master brake cylinder being replaced.

Maybe I have been unlucky, but I've had a Kia, a Hyundai, my first car was a 10 year old Volvo 440 and none of them experienced any issues apart from the Kia, but only because the previous owner hadn't taken the car in for it's recalls. Once those were done, the car was brilliant. I actually miss it and regret selling it as early as I did.

Now we move onto Ford. My dad had a Ford Mondeo MK 1 while I was learning to drive. Brilliant car. Dad hired a Ford Galaxy when we were younger so we could all fit in it and have some room. Again, brilliant car. I also learned to drive in a Vauxhall Corsa and a Ford Fiesta (I can't remember the MK of both of them, but it was around the late 1990's, maybe 97/98). Both good cars, although the guy that had the Vauxhall I'm sure had something wrong with his brakes as you had to shove the pedal near enough to the floor to get any kind of stopping power.

I have driven many different cars/vans in one of my jobs during the early part of the 2000's, everything from Skoda Felicias to an Alfa Romeo (can't remember the model) to Jaguars. I was even in a Lotus, but I didn't drive it as it belonged to my managers son. I found the less expensive cars better to drive, but that's just my opinion. Even drove many Fords, obviously earlier versions. There was the Focus MK 1 and I thought it was a really good car. Maybe it's just me, but the more technology they seem to put on cars, the worse the reliability and the more that can go wrong. 

As for this wee Ford Fiesta, the latest development is there is now a burning smell coming from the engine, although it did disappear, so I'm hoping it's not something about to go horrendously wrong. I also believe the make and year of the car is at the side under my name, but just incase it isn't, it's a 67 (2018) plate Fiesta Zetec 1.0L Automatic. I bought it second hand, and to begin with it wasn't bad. The issues have gradually crept in, some of them getting worse or only noticeable in the cold since buying the car in May/June 2021. The car has done just over 21, 000 miles, so almost barely anything for the age of the car.

To answer some other points, we took out an extended warranty, but it may as well have been written on a piece of scrap paper for all it's worth. As mentioned, Ford UK do not want to know and neither does the local Ford dealership, which I HAVE to take the car to due to the warranty taken out on it. So, yeah I guess I've been highly unlucky, but that doesn't excuse any manufacturer, whether it be cars or something else to not take any responsibility for when something does go wrong and come up with so many excuses it makes Boris Johnson look like he's telling the truth.

If you have a Ford and it's been good to you, fair enough. I've unfortunately ended up with a lemon. 

Used prices have gone up, so you might not loose out if you sell it on and get something else.

• Like 1

Can't remember if mentioned, but the Sync 3 screen has been acting up. First time, I couldn't turn it on and going over a bump fixed that problem. Now this second time, I knew something wasn't right when it started up. This time I couldn't get the thing to turn off!! After 20 frustrating minutes, of opening the door, closing the door, taking the key out, putting the key in, pressing the on/off switch to no avail...the Sync 3 thing finally turned itself off.

Now a quick search online reports that these are common (seems like the automatic gearbox is also a massively huge common issue too, but Ford refuse point blank to acknowledge it exists). I did find how to "soft reset" the Sync 3, but come on.....this car has the latest Sync 3 update, was registered February 2018 and now this thing acts up? What's next Ford? My engine blowing up? A fire? The whole car crumbling to bits?

It's now obviously 2022, even though this car is a 2018.....these sort of issues should not be on ANY car that has been around for a while, especially the Ford Fiesta. Seriously considering a Skoda Estelle, that's how bad this thing is.

19 minutes ago, David1978 said:

Can't remember if mentioned, but the Sync 3 screen has been acting up. First time, I couldn't turn it on and going over a bump fixed that problem. Now this second time, I knew something wasn't right when it started up. This time I couldn't get the thing to turn off!! After 20 frustrating minutes, of opening the door, closing the door, taking the key out, putting the key in, pressing the on/off switch to no avail...the Sync 3 thing finally turned itself off.

Now a quick search online reports that these are common (seems like the automatic gearbox is also a massively huge common issue too, but Ford refuse point blank to acknowledge it exists). I did find how to "soft reset" the Sync 3, but come on.....this car has the latest Sync 3 update, was registered February 2018 and now this thing acts up? What's next Ford? My engine blowing up? A fire? The whole car crumbling to bits?

It's now obviously 2022, even though this car is a 2018.....these sort of issues should not be on ANY car that has been around for a while, especially the Ford Fiesta. Seriously considering a Skoda Estelle, that's how bad this thing is.

I've heard Lada are making a comeback 👍

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Wino said:

I've heard Lada are making a comeback 👍

So is Santa I believe.

On 1/19/2022 at 1:04 PM, David1978 said:

What to say about this absolute pile of junk? I can not believe how this "car" is the UK's best selling, as it only comes 2nd to the Fiat Punto MK 1  that I had the misfortune of owning in terms of reliabilty/build quality.

So here's a list:

1. Automatic transmission. Awful. Next to useless in cold weather. Ford do not want to know.

2. Rattles from every conceivable place you can think of. Horrendous creaking from passenger seat. Ford do not want to know.

3. MPG is horrendous, even for an automatic.

4. Problems with the Sync 3 screen. Intermittent so far, but screen is completely blank after turning ignition on. Power button will not turn it on, the latest incident where it did switch on was when it went over a bump. Guess what. Yep, that's right, Ford don't want to know.

5. Ride is harsh. Can feel every bump judder through the driver seat and steering wheel. Ford do not want to know.

6. Car smelling of petrol INSIDE the cabin. Ford do not want to know. Issue has cleared, for now, but not exactly confidence boosting for how this car behaves.

7. Ford KNOW about the Automatic transmission problems and the Sync 3 issues. They refuse to do anything about it.

8. Ford Dealerships are useless and use every excuse under the sun so as not to fix their cars.

9. Ford UK does not answer complaints

So, there you go. I could go into more detail, but this car isn't worth the trouble. If you own a Fiesta, or any Ford for that matter, get rid of it for something way better. If you're thinking of getting a Ford. Don't. All it'll do is cause you grief. From experience, Vauxhall, FIAT, VW (yes VW), Nissan (owned by Renault), Chevrolet (thankfully no longer sold in the UK, but still 2nd hand ones on sale) and now Ford will cause you nothing but grief.

Hi,

You've bought a lemon by the sounds of it, perhaps a test drive would've helped.

We have a 2018 (68) ST-Line-X on 17" wheels and a 2019 Vignale, also on 17" wheels, both 1.0 100PS automatics, the ride is not an issue.

Fuel economy, around town on both, is around 29 MPG up to 45MPG on a run, not that much worse than a manual.

I'll try and answer/advise on each of your issues:

1: It's not the best, in most applications (EcoSport & Focus MK3.5 125PS), but in the Fiesta @100PS it's actually quite good, but has some characteristic issues, which are:

Torque converter slip in first and second gear, then torque converter lock up in 3,4,5,& 6. Takes some getting used to.

The gearbox has a warm up strategy that creates even more slip when cold to prevent damage to the internals, this should last no more than 5 miles, if you're only doing short journeys then it's never going to warm up. Ask Ford if there are software updates for the PCM (The PCM & TCM are combined on these) this may help a bit.

The transmission has an adaptive shifting learning strategy which adapts to the driver's driving style, it's still adapted to the previous 20,000 miles driver, ask Ford to reset the adaptive shift strategy in the transmission so it can adapt to your driving style. 

2: Neither of ours rattle. Has it had a bad bump and all the trim has been re-fitted poorly? If the seat is creaking, grease all the visible moving parts.

3: A manual isn't much better, especially around town, try using Super Unleaded, it does help (TESCO 99 is best)

4: Probably never had the software updated. Search Ford Sync updates UK and follow instructions on Ford site to update software.

Perform a master reset and then in settings turn OFF Wi-Fi and turn OFF automatic updates

5: Ensure tyre pressures are correct 34 PSi Front and 28 PSi Rear

6: Can't help with that other than do not press the throttle when starting the engine, the PCM does that for you. Ensure air cleaner is clean and not damp

7: If the warning light isn't on then there aren't any issues, see advice above

8: ABSOLUTELY 

9: Ford UK CRC are usually quite good, if you're nice to them

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club