Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should I replace the battery in my Fiesta?

cyber
聽Share

I've got a 13 plate (so more than 8.5 years old) Fiesta 1.0 (mk 6.5) ecoboost.

In the 4.5 years that I've owned it, I've not replaced the battery. Looking under the bonnet, the battery has a ford logo on it so I think it must still be the original battery?

Given that the car is approaching 9 years old, should I be replacing the battery?

The current battery hasn't given me any problems since I bought it other than the start/stop function hasn't worked for a couple of years.

• Like 1

if it still work then no聽馃檪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Depends on your circumstances really.聽

If you absolutely need the car to start first time every time due your job or health or something, then it may be worth replacing for peace of mind.聽

If it wouldn't be much inconvenience if it was to fail without warning (get a jump start, wait for breakdown or use another car) then really there's no point spending on a new battery yet.

• Thanks 1

If you intend keeping your car for the next 5 years then a nice new battery with a 5 year warranty is worth considering 馃憤

• Thanks 1

If it ain't broke why fix it ?聽聽聽聽聽 @isetta what's your view, should they spend the money on a new battery ?

The stop/start thing is not the fault of the battery. If you do replace it than it will probably start and work again for a couple of months.

• Thanks 1

Only replaced batteries myself when starting began to be an issue/battery obviously not holding charge.

My Mrs is a very low mileage user nowadays so her cars batteries rarely get a decent charge. Nevertheless, her current SEAT Mii is still fine at nearly 8 years, her previous Ka was still ok at 7 years plus when we parted with it. Last one I remember replacing was her Citroen ZX at 9 years plus when starting was getting a bit laboured, but that was a diesel so had a bit more work to do.

Many of us would regard non-operational start/stop as a bonus.馃榾

• Thanks 1

Thanks all, most comments saying stick with the current one.

We mostly do short journeys (less than 10 miles) with a couple of long ones in a year but given the mileage, I think the previous owner did much longer journeys.

I know there's no such thing as 'typical' but in previous cars I would get 4-6 years on a battery so this seems quite long. Is 9 years+ quite common on these cars?

Unofix has invited me to respond. 聽I wouldn鈥檛 replace it unless it actually needs replacing. The original batteries in new cars do seem to last well. 聽In my 2007 fiesta it lasted just over 10 years (I sold the car to my brother when 9 years old) . But in my wife鈥檚 mazda2 the original battery only lasted 7 years, I then replaced it with a lion brand battery, that only lasted 4 years. 聽It suddenly failed. It now has another lion brand battery in it. I don鈥檛 always buy the cheapest of everything , honest. 聽

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, cyber said:

I've got a 13 plate (so more than 8.5 years old) Fiesta 1.0 (mk 6.5) ecoboost.

In the 4.5 years that I've owned it, I've not replaced the battery. Looking under the bonnet, the battery has a ford logo on it so I think it must still be the original battery?

Given that the car is approaching 9 years old, should I be replacing the battery?

The current battery hasn't given me any problems since I bought it other than the start/stop function hasn't worked for a couple of years.

Get it tested,it probably has lost a lot of its crank power.I replaced mine a few months back,original battery from 2015.It went completely flat.I would just replace the thing.The last thing you want is to be stuck.My CRV Honda鈥檚 battery has just been replaced,car is just under three years old.Batteries are fickle things.The car is still drawing power even when it is shut down,with all the electronics in modern vehicles.

• Thanks 1

Get it tested and go from there many places will test for free.聽

I had a battery die on the m6 once. Started first time every time up until the point it wouldn't.聽

• Thanks 1

Hi all, my thinking is , what price is peace of mind, if suspect its going to let you聽

down at some point, probably when you need to get somewhere, sods law !!!

I would stick a new one on !!

• Thanks 1

I replaced my 60ah efb with a higher capacity AGM and used forscan to tell the car of the change this allows the car to charge the battery faster so stop starts works more often and for longer. it cost 拢100 and came with a 5 year warranty

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club