Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Burning Smell / Smoke "please Help" !

dp1987

As ive mentioned on a previous thread i have a 2000 "X" Reg Focus 1.8 Zetec and would appreciate any advice on my problen from members who obviously know alot more than me. :unsure:

Its my first car since passing my test and about a month into owning it there was suddenly smoke/steam pouring out of the sides of the engine after driving for about 30 minutes. I pulled into a car park and all the water/coolant was leaking out alot until it had all gone. Pushed it around to a garage and the pipe were the water goes into the radiator had split leading to my engine completely over heating.

So he fitted a new pipe and filled the water up but when i got home there was still a little bit of smoke that i seen when opening the bonnet and a slight burning smell when getting out the car. I then took it to another garage a few days later were he left it running for a hour and could not find anything wrong with it but replaced the temp gage just incase.

Fast forward a month and i still 80% of the time smell burning when getting out of the car and twice have seen a little bit of smoke when lifting the bonnet up and a bit of oil on the floor were its parked over night altough oil levels are ok.It always seem to run fine but maybe about twice a week it randomly judders/makes jerking motion when accelerating up to 40ish more so in 2nd and 3rd and will do it all day.

When i purchased the car it had 12 months mot and had a clutch fitted about 3 months before. Ive had the cambelt done also. My oil is quite dark so im thinking of getting a full service with the oil change and new spark plugs etc is this worth it??

The smoke ive seen coming from the engine after driving comes from underneath that silver metal block in front of the engine with the X mark over a picture of a hand. "sorry dont know anything about engines lol" pic is not my engine its from google.

engine-compartment1.JPG

As i say it my first car and i dont know what could be causing these problems so any advice from anyone on what i can do/get checked out would be great.

thanks.

As ive mentioned on a previous thread i have a 2000 "X" Reg Focus 1.8 Zetec and would appreciate any advice on my problen from members who obviously know alot more than me. :unsure:

Its my first car since passing my test and about a month into owning it there was suddenly smoke/steam pouring out of the sides of the engine after driving for about 30 minutes. I pulled into a car park and all the water/coolant was leaking out alot until it had all gone. Pushed it around to a garage and the pipe were the water goes into the radiator had split leading to my engine completely over heating.

So he fitted a new pipe and filled the water up but when i got home there was still a little bit of smoke that i seen when opening the bonnet and a slight burning smell when getting out the car. I then took it to another garage a few days later were he left it running for a hour and could not find anything wrong with it but replaced the temp gage just incase.

Fast forward a month and i still 80% of the time smell burning when getting out of the car and twice have seen a little bit of smoke when lifting the bonnet up and a bit of oil on the floor were its parked over night altough oil levels are ok.It always seem to run fine but maybe about twice a week it randomly judders/makes jerking motion when accelerating up to 40ish more so in 2nd and 3rd and will do it all day.

When i purchased the car it had 12 months mot and had a clutch fitted about 3 months before. Ive had the cambelt done also. My oil is quite dark so im thinking of getting a full service with the oil change and new spark plugs etc is this worth it??

The smoke ive seen coming from the engine after driving comes from underneath that silver metal block in front of the engine with the X mark over a picture of a hand. "sorry dont know anything about engines lol" pic is not my engine its from google.

engine-compartment1.JPG

As i say it my first car and i dont know what could be causing these problems so any advice from anyone on what i can do/get checked out would be great.

thanks.

simple one really that silver thing is the heat shield to the exhaust manifold ill say that youre rocker cover gasket is leaking right behind it the oil is dropping onto that hot manifold giving the smell you say youre getting and a little smoke it will have burned off likely so wont be easy to see but thats likely the issue have the rocker cover gasket replaced and you should be fin.ps youre coolant looks like it could do with a flush and change

simple one really that silver thing is the heat shield to the exhaust manifold ill say that youre rocker cover gasket is leaking right behind it the oil is dropping onto that hot manifold giving the smell you say youre getting and a little smoke it will have burned off likely so wont be easy to see but thats likely the issue have the rocker cover gasket replaced and you should be fin.ps youre coolant looks like it could do with a flush and change

Hi thanks very much for your reply/advice. I will get that replaced asap! Do u have any ideas as to why it would be jolting when accelerating?? and is it worth me just paying for a full service?

thanks

Hi thanks very much for your reply/advice. I will get that replaced asap! Do u have any ideas as to why it would be jolting when accelerating?? and is it worth me just paying for a full service?

thanks

joliting can be a few things the maf which in the picture is the rectangular small box on the large pipe coming from the airbox could also be a clogged air filter worn spark plugs or needing new spark plug wires could also be the coil pack breaking down or the fuel filter needing replaced hard to say without actually being in the car and feeling it ide say that its best to have a full service done and have the gasket replaced on the rocker cover you should be able to see the oil if you look at the back of that heat shield

• 10 years later...

I have a 1995 E-150 Ford Club Wagon Van and I am trying to get running again. I was trying to crank it  & It would not crank and Saw smoke & burning wires smell  coming from left fender while drivers door open. After checking the ignition module was melted.  So I replaced it. Now It still won't crank and the smoke is still coming out of the drivers fender while door is open. What could be the problem?