Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 Hatchback boot locking questions

AntonovAN12

A few questions about the boot and central locking on the Mk2 hatchback.

When the boot is unlocked using the button on the key without unlocking the doors, is it possible to accidentally lock the key in the boot?

I was thinking it could happen if you were to accidentally put the key down inside the boot and then close the hatch down. Is there a sensor that somehow stops it happening? I could go out and test it myself with the spare key in my pocket.

While the boot switch was not working, I made sure to unlock the doors first before the boot, and put the keys back in my pocket to stop that from happening.

Also, can the boot be opened from outside the car while the engine is running and the doors are locked from the inside while driving? I always drive with the doors locked from the inside.

While stopped in traffic, would it be possible for someone to walk up to the boot, open it and run off with something? I know it is not likely, but the car I had before needed the key to open the boot from outside, so that was not possible.

I need to ask for someone to test it by trying to open the boot from the outside while I am inside the car with the doors locked and engine running.

Thanks for any information.

As it's not a proximity fob (keyless entry type) then yes you can accidentally drop the key in the boot while closing the hatch and it'll lock...

The boot can't be opened if you're driving with the doors locked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

As it's not a proximity fob (keyless entry type) then yes you can accidentally drop the key in the boot while closing the hatch and it'll lock...

The boot can't be opened if you're driving with the doors locked.

Additionally, if the car is locked, you are able to open the boot on it's own by double clicking the 'boot' button on the fob...

• Like 1

I can confirm that you can lock the key in the boot of a mk2, I've done it.😒

I had to pay someone to drive back to my house and get the spare key.

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, MarkRS9 said:

Yep, my wife would have charged me too! 🤣

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Additionally, if the car is locked, you are able to open the boot on it's own by double clicking the 'boot' button on the fob...

That's what I have been having to do while the boot switch was failed, which made me stop and think about not locking the key in the boot.

Depending on how far from home I was, if it had happened I would have been seriously tempted to break a window and flip the back seat down with the button to get to the key. The glass can be had for about £25 on eBay, or a whole door for the same. That's another reason to have one of those spring-loaded window breakers mentioned in the other thread.

The spare is a non-remote key, so I would have had to get into the boot by folding the rear seats if I could unlock with the spare.

34 minutes ago, MarkRS9 said:

I can confirm that you can lock the key in the boot of a mk2, I've done it.😒

id second that done it my self lol

I did something similar on a Mk4 Golf about 10 years ago...it's not an oversight I intend to make again! :unsure:

The door module was faulty and didn't register the drivers door open.  I unlocked the car, put the key in the ignition, then shut the door to get something from the boot...  Door locked on auto-relock before I'd got round to the boot!  Ended up stranded in a carpark 15 miles from home early on a Sunday morning....had to wake a relative to bring me the spare key!  

I haven't left the key in any car and shut the doors since! :laugh:

My facelift with keyless locking has a key sensor in the boot behind the rear seats that’s supposed to detect if the keys are in the boot when you try and lock the car. 

Could be that this is keyless specific, can’t remember if I’ve ever tested how well it works. Can’t lock the car with the keyless button on the boot anyhow so it’s unlikely I’ll ever be testing it by accident.

9 hours ago, troy45 said:

My facelift with keyless locking has a key sensor in the boot behind the rear seats that’s supposed to detect if the keys are in the boot when you try and lock the car. 

Could be that this is keyless specific, can’t remember if I’ve ever tested how well it works. Can’t lock the car with the keyless button on the boot anyhow so it’s unlikely I’ll ever be testing it by accident.

It is only keyless cars that have the radio antenna in the boot.  Mainly to detect proximity for keyless boot opening, but does also mean you can't lock the key in the boot on keyless cars.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever managed to lock the key under the bonnet?

I can see how that could happen if you opened the bonnet, put the key down in the engine bay and then closed the bonnet.

7 minutes ago, AntonovAN12 said:

Has anyone ever managed to lock the key under the bonnet?

Is that some sort of a challenge ?

Have you locked your key under the bonnet ? 🤣

• Haha 1

I haven't ever done it. I stop myself and think to make sure the key isn't in the engine bay there before closing it.

I'd be more worried about the key slipping down into an unreachable place...can't see why anyone would put the key down in the bay. :biggrin:   

But yes, in theory, even with a keyless fob, as there's no antenna there and the bulkhead will block the interior signals, the car should lock with the key under the bonnet.

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

..can't see why anyone would put the key down in the bay. :biggrin:  

For that very reason I deliberately keep the key in the bonnet lock whilst I have it open, as an old person with diminishing memory, I would be truly f*cked if I slammed the bonnet closed with key resting on the engine 🤣

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I deliberately keep the key in the bonnet lock whilst I have it open

Been there, done that, it was one of those small keys that detach from the main key fob

Drove around with that key sticking out my bonnet lock for at least 3 days before I noticed it

• Haha 1

Once you've opened the bonnet just put the keys back in your pocket. It's not rocket science. :dry:

• Like 2

Just now, mjt said:

Once you've opened the bonnet just put the keys back in your pocket. It's not rocket science. :dry:

Nope, it's 'pocket science'... LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club