Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK4 Parking Pilot Malfunction

SMK7

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone can help. Got an error message this morning on my MK4 focus saying parking pilot malfunction, none of the sensors working and the light illuminated off beside the gear-stick. I've cleaned all the sensors etc and nothing, still buggered.

has anyone had experience with this? Have a possible fix or can gimme an idea of what it'll cost to take to a Ford garage to fix?

thanks

I'd try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to force reboot all the modules, see if that helps.

Or pull the fuse for the parking module if you can find it.

I've seen both replies saying about battery related issues, how sure would you say it's likely that compared to module or sensor issue?

I wasn't suggesting a battery issue. Disconnecting the battery is just a way of cutting power to every module and sensor in the car and force them to reboot/reinitialise which can clear some faults.

It is worth checking the battery voltage too as if the battery is low it causes the modules to do funky things.

1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

I wasn't suggesting a battery issue. Disconnecting the battery is just a way of cutting power to every module and sensor in the car and force them to reboot/reinitialise which can clear some faults.

It is worth checking the battery voltage too as if the battery is low it causes the modules to do funky things.

Thanks Alex, bit of a novice here but is there a procedure to check the voltage? Plus if I disconnected the battery would it mess up my codes?

thanks

I've looked at the Ford pass app and had this message on the 6th of this month -

Your Car equipped with FordPass(TM) Connect has entered Deep Sleep mode to conserve battery energy. Remote features including start/stop and lock/unlock may be temporarily unavailable because your battery charge level is low. 

You can easily fix this yourself by going for a longer ride. Make sure to keep your air conditioning and accessories off during this drive to recharge your battery faster. 

If your vehicle doesn’t start: - Jump start it then take it for a drive to recharge the battery - Contact your preferred dealer for further service if needed

Unless your car has been sat for a few weeks, then that means the battery is too low.

So probably is the cause, if not helping the issue.

There are no radio codes if you disconnect the battery, but it sounds like it really needs charging.

• Like 1

I have a mk3.5 not mk4 but currently have park pilot malfunction error- forscan shows one of the sensors failed. Think I need to remove bumper to replace so waiting til weather a bit warmer to deal with. 

Possibly a sensor needs replacing? If one sensor goes it affects all of them? But I'm certainly no expert and this is with a mk3.5.

Peter

1 hour ago, SMK7 said:

Just back from getting battery tested and it's 100% fine..

As has been said by others, your battery needs charging.

Once the State of Charge (SOC) falls below 72% the car will start shutting modules down to conserve power. You have nothing to loose and everything to gain by charging the battery for at least 8 hours.

Make sure to connect the negative lead of the charger to the main chassis earth point and not the battery.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, unofix said:

As has been said by others, your battery needs charging.

Once the State of Charge (SOC) falls below 72% the car will start shutting modules down to conserve power. You have nothing to loose and everything to gain by charging the battery for at least 8 hours.

Make sure to connect the negative lead of the charger to the main chassis earth point and not the battery.

Well I don't have a charger unfortunately and as I said I took it to a garage who put it on a tester and was told battery was functioning as normal. The keyless entry is still working and I would assume the car would shut that down before sensors would it not?

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, SMK7 said:

Well I don't have a charger unfortunately and as I said I took it to a garage who put it on a tester and was told battery was functioning as normal. The keyless entry is still working and I would assume the car would shut that down before sensors would it not?

Functioning normally and sufficiently charged isn’t the same thing though. 

• Like 3

Update -

Hasn't worked since I posted this and then today I go out, start car and sensors are fine, no error. Checked front driver's side and sensor went off fine. Got to work, parked up and front sensors went off and then error pops again 😫

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club