Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK1 1.8tdci - veg oil anyone?

ssray

I've dabbled for years with veg oil svo(new stuff) not wvo(old used stuff) 

My last vehicle that I used it in was a rover 400 2.0 , I did a twin tank conversion, 5 gallon marine tank in the boot for starting and running down(so the pump etc is not full of veg over night,it gets too thick) then the main tank had just new veg oil in it 

Start and warm up on diesel then switch over to the main tank and the veg would go through a heat exchanger to thin it then into the fuel pump, no difference in performance etc 

The vehicles I used before were all Bosch pumped, Citroen bx(mix in the tank), Toyota Hilux(mix in tank) pug 205(mix in tank)

Understanding that the 1.8tdci is common rail dose any run neat veg in one? Ta Ray

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ssray said:

I've dabbled for years with veg oil svo(new stuff) not wvo(old used stuff) 

My last vehicle that I used it in was a rover 400 2.0 , I did a twin tank conversion, 5 gallon marine tank in the boot for starting and running down(so the pump etc is not full of veg over night,it gets too thick) then the main tank had just new veg oil in it 

Start and warm up on diesel then switch over to the main tank and the veg would go through a heat exchanger to thin it then into the fuel pump, no difference in performance etc 

The vehicles I used before were all Bosch pumped, Citroen bx(mix in the tank), Toyota Hilux(mix in tank) pug 205(mix in tank)

Understanding that the 1.8tdci is common rail dose any run neat veg in one? Ta Ray

I'd be inclined to say no, it's usually a big no no on common rail diesels as it clogs everything up.

Maybe you'd get away with it diluted but I would be very wary still. 

The older 1.8 TDDI might be happier on it than the TDCI though I appreciate that's not much help to you!

• Like 2

Cheaper than diesel. 🤣🤣

Screenshot_20220308-185407.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, iantt said:

Cheaper than diesel. 🤣🤣

Screenshot_20220308-185407.png

Wow that's a good price! 

Thanks, it's a while since I had a veg car(2007 I think) so I'm kind of out of the loop and s lot of forums I hung around have vanished

• Like 1

I have seen people running veg on 1.8 TDCI's with mixed results, but not for a long while.  It's not quite as simple as any common rail being unable to run it.

I think the reality is, it's going to take some modification to do it, as well as experimentation with ratios, and even then it's a lottery how long the pump & injectors will last.  Veg is obviously much cheaper than diesel right now, but those savings could quickly be wiped out by one major part failure.  I wouldn't risk it personally. 

• Like 3

I think I'm going to look for a older a4 estate or possibly a older Merc 300td

Thanks for the replys

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ssray said:

I think I'm going to look for a older a4 estate or possibly a older Merc 300td

Thanks for the replys

Basically the older the better. Mechanical fuel pump/injection is the way to go

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club