Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 10 years old next year

MrRedman

So my Focus is 10 years old next year and is currently on 29K ,the wet belt change should be next year according to Ford,having read about the cost of replacement what’s everyone doing just moving the cars on? or parting with a grand ? 

If it is the 1 litre ecoboost with a 6 speed box I would move it on. Lots of problems with these, not just an expensive wet belt change.

Cooling problems that can quickly destroy the engine. Clutch made of cheese which can destroy the gearbox when it fails.

The newer versions have a better coolant pipe arrangement and stronger clutches but still have the wet belt, at least until the Mk 4 which have a chain instead.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pcaouolte said:

If it is the 1 litre ecoboost with a 6 speed box I would move it on. Lots of problems with these, not just an expensive wet belt change.

Cooling problems that can quickly destroy the engine. Clutch made of cheese which can destroy the gearbox when it fails.

The newer versions have a better coolant pipe arrangement and stronger clutches but still have the wet belt, at least until the Mk 4 which have a chain instead.

Yeah it’s the 5 speed 100bhp version I think the pipes been done not sure which clutch is in it 

5sp 'box has a different clutch with no DMF iirc.  The recall replacement coolant hose will eventually snap again, so that's something to keep an eye on.

There have been a few threads on this, although they generally take a tangent from the initial question so may not be easy to find from a search.  From a very small sample, it looks like most people will either sell up or play cambelt roulette.  Unless they have a very low mileage, desirable, or sentimentally valuable car, it's just not worth the cost at 10 years old.

• Like 1

I part exchanged my low mileage 2013 Focus 1.0 ECOboost 2 weeks ago. 

During 7.5 Years of ownership the car was trouble free. It only required regular services and some preventive maintenance. Being a former mechanic the car was fully serviced by me.

The car is however almost 9 Years old and the wetbelt change would be due next Year. Even if I would perform this job myself the costs for all required parts and special tools (including the torque converter) would still be high. 

Where I live (In the Netherlands) the Focus MK3 still has great value. Prices are high at the moment.. Because of the oncoming maintenance costs and the current value of the car it was the right time to sell it. After I received a good offer I bought a 2018 Kuga Vignale with a 4-cylinder 1.5 ECOboost engine. 

• Like 1

It's an interesting dilemma. A quick glance at Auto Trader shows asking prices for 2012/2013 Focuses of varying spec/mileage anywhere from £4,000 to £7,000. 

Bearing in mind how much it can cost you to change and the possibility of finding a "lemon" even if much newer, it could make sense to do the cambelt on a known car in otherwise good condition.

• Like 1

Duplicated post

Edited by Eric Bloodaxe
Duplicated post

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club