Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rare EcoBoost 1.0 tale of not-woe.

ElCani

That's certainly very encouraging. Our Ecoboost has only done just over 41K miles but is due for a wetbelt change as it's 10 years old this year. In our 6 years ownership it's been serviced annually at a Ford dealership even though the annual mileage has never exeeded 6,500. The only exceptions were 2 years ago following the lockdown when the mileage was so low that I skipped a service and just changed the oil myself using a Pela pump to suck the old oil out and last year when I put it into the local indie that I've used for years for the Mk2.5. Unfortunately the idiots used Forte engine flush. I naively assumed the 1L Ecoboost had been around long enough for independants to know about these things. When I queried it they claimed they'd checked with Forte who stated their product was compatible but I don't believe that. Hopefully the belt change will get done before any problems arise, if I don't swap it in before then. Although our average annual mileage is low it's nearly all extra-urban on dual-carriageways or fast A-roads and journeys last 30-60 minutes with just 5 minutes or so of local roads at each end for warm-up and cool-down so I'm pretty confident the internals are clean. Certainly the oil I sucked out looked new.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the story. I'm in the middle of deciding whether to get the belt done. 2013 1.0 125 with 39K miles.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mine's booked in for wet belt replacement in May, 9 years old and 64.5K miles on the clock. No engine issues whatsoever so far and an 80% service history but will be interested to see what the condition is of the items removed. Will post an update on here for information purposes.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Acid House 1988 said:

9 years old and 64.5K miles on the clock.

Very sensible to be getting it done early.

So many seem to think they have to wait until 10 years or 100,000 miles, and seem to miss the point that these are a maximum, not an actual target.

I wish you luck and hope all goes well with the planned work. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Uno, as I said earlier, will report back once the job is done so that others on here can get some indication of what the situation might be with their own vehicles.

23 hours ago, unofix said:

So many seem to think they have to wait until 10 years or 100,000 miles, and seem to miss the point that these are a maximum, not an actual target.

I wish you luck and hope all goes well with the planned work. 👍

Me 🤣

Mine is now 10 years old exactly ('13). 

Will get the job done April or May.

I thought the main idea with wet belts was to catch out lazy owners that don't change the oil regularly and don't use the correct spec

and here's how...

not widely spoken about, but the old world additives that made engine oil incredibly durable and long lasting (High SAPS) , have been swapped to Low SAPS, (for environmental concerns - lies)  But to get Low SAPS oils we have to discard all the old proven principles, use less durable materials in many moving engine parts and the newer additives are far more expensive - they also provide significantly lower lubrication properties under extreme abuse, but the main win is its magically less durable and fails to time - helping the engine and wet belts self destruct

• Thanks 1

I know of a 19 plate fiesta 30k miles, belt has deteriorated and blocked up the strainer. So low mileage and not to old don't escape the issue. 

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, iantt said:

I know of a 19 plate fiesta 30k miles, belt has deteriorated and blocked up the strainer. So low mileage and not to old don't escape the issue. 

Any idea on the service history or the oil used? For a newish vehicle on such low mileage that seems strange at the very least....

• 10 months later...

Well, my focus Titanium 125 is  Feb 2017, so 7 years old.

I have had it on the market for some time with no success and people are asking  If it has had a new engine or at least cambelt change so the buying public seem to be  aware of the problems thanks largely to the internet.

I have always  used a Ford trained Independent for regular services and he always  insisted  on the correct oil being used. It’s been serviced on the dot annually. I have just had a new catalytic converter 

fitted at €1450. 

I did use it for towing a trailer tent all over France and Italy for a year and it is an amazing car with plenty of power. 

Im thinking of having it done now which should give me another 6/7 years peace of mind.