Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shda engine

Danielwit

Hi guys..I need to replace engine in my focus 2009 1.6..its a shda...having looked Thier are various codes ..are any of the the other engine codes compatible, ie a direct fit..or does it have to be shda..thanks dan

There are a few differences with the 1.6 petrol engines in the Mk2 Focus.  Main one being Ti-VCT.  You can't swap a Ti-VCT engine with a non-Ti engine.

37 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

There are a few differences with the 1.6 petrol engines in the Mk2 Focus.  Main one being Ti-VCT.  You can't swap a Ti-VCT engine with a non-Ti engine.

Tom, as you know, I'm a petrolhead, and often watch loads of 'car' shows on the telly. They often seem to swap engines on car rebuilds with no thought to what came out of it originally. Is that just because they have huge TV budgets, and an unending stream of mechanics on hand to overcome all the potential issues? (I realise that one bloke in his shed just wants an easy swap!)

4 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Tom, as you know, I'm a petrolhead, and often watch loads of 'car' shows on the telly. They often seem to swap engines on car rebuilds with no thought to what came out of it originally. Is that just because they have huge TV budgets, and an unending stream of mechanics on hand to overcome all the potential issues? (I realise that one bloke in his shed just wants an easy swap!)

Basically, yes!!  Reality is you can put any engine in that you want as long as it'll physically fit in the space...and if it doesn't, just get your fabricator to cut some lumps out of the chassis and weld in extra strength elsewhere if needed. 

In this particular case, the Ti-VCT engines are the same size as the basic engines, but the wiring loom is different, the PCM is different, and the cluster may be different as well, I doubt the OP want's to swap all of those.  They also use a different gearbox which would physically fit, but the ratios would be wrong, may or may not be noticeable in the real world.

So when you're watching Fast N Loud or whatever, check out how much fabrication they have to do to move engine mounts or radiators or simply to make space.  How many bespoke parts they have to order such as driveshafts that were never designed for that car & diff combo or super expensive adapter plates to mate the engine to the 'wrong' gearbox or modern clusters with electronic inputs that are specifically designed to fit into older cars originally with cable speedo etc.  On older cars they'll often fit smaller radiators and fans or relocate the battery to the boot for extra space up front.  Ultimately, with a massive budget and the right guys (fabricators especially!) you can do pretty much whatever you want...and that's why they demand such a high price at auction, as you could never do the same being one guy in a suburban garage over a few weekends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club