Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Bangers & Cash... just delightful!

StephenFord

Recently I stumbled upon a TV show called Bangers & Cash. It's a follow me documentary about a family run car auction business in Yorkshire. When channel flicking, I saw one of my favourite cars onscreen, a 1987 Sierra Cosworth, so watched the feature, and have subsequently downloaded and watched every single episode of the show which is now through series 5.

Every episode I learn something usually about an obscure car brand that I've never heard of, and seeing that car coming to auction, often with a brief follow up of the restoration the eventual buyer did. One episode featured a 1st edition Mini Cooper S, the condition was the most awful 'barn find', rotten to the core, barely making it onto a pallet via a forklift and I fully expected it to crumble on the journey to the auction house. You wouldn't even have given £20 scrap for it. It sold for just under £20,000!

It's such a relaxed show with genuine characters who all have a simple love for the car. Can't imagine that love being extended in the future with battery cars. So if you're all NetFlixed out, well worth a dip in, just download any episode at random to see if you like it, make yourself a cuppa (Yorkshire of course), and chill out...

bangers.thumb.jpg.c988111b3d243d005032f336783b927e.jpg

• Like 5

How have you not see this until recently.

It's one of our go to programmes along side Blind frog ranch and Skinwalker ranch and Curse of oak island.

• Like 2

@StephenFord was that the blue Mini that went for £18k? I couldn't believe it made so much! 😲 

Crazy money!

1 minute ago, Turvey said:

@StephenFord was that the blue Mini that went for £18k? I couldn't believe it made so much! 😲

You saw a colour on that car?? All I saw was rust and dropped foliage LOL

• Haha 2

They've just filmed a spin-off series where they will be restoring cars as well.

It's on Yesterday (the channel lol) starting Thursday night at 8pm.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

They've just filmed a spin-off series where they will be restoring cars as well.

It's on Yesterday (the channel lol) starting Thursday night at 8pm.

Now on series link - thanks Tom...

• Like 1

Just watched first one on the Astra GTE, bought for too much money (£7800), and sold for too little (£15250 - a loss of £5k after restoration), bang on the tradition of vintage car restoration LOL Though the Mini Cooper S I mentioned in my 1st post now restored looks amazing.  I'm hooked...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Just watched first one on the Astra GTE, bought for too much money (£7800), and sold for too little (£15250 - a loss of £5k after restoration), bang on the tradition of vintage car restoration LOL Though the Mini Cooper S I mentioned in my 1st post now restored looks amazing.  I'm hooked...

I thought the first one was tonight...  Looks like I'm already a week behind. :laugh: 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I thought the first one was tonight...  Looks like I'm already a week behind. :laugh: 

Sorry buddy, I kinda ruined the ending for you there... 😁

• Haha 3

On 7/26/2022 at 1:37 PM, Turvey said:

Crazy money!

I think its going to feature in one of the "Bangers & Cash Restoring Classics" programs, along with the peugeot special that was in last weeks prog. When I first saw the prog - recommended by a neighbour a while back - I recognised the place. I'd visited a motor museum there a few years back - nominal fee to enter at the time, lovely place.

8 minutes ago, RMurphy195 said:

I think its going to feature in one of the "Bangers & Cash Restoring Classics" programs,

It's already been featured, it looks incredible, especially when you consider the genuine 'barn find' condition it was in. The 'restoration' team have fallen into the typical restoration ethos, of buying far too expensive, spending far too much money, and then selling at a loss 😅

I noticed a an old yellow mini on one of my walks the other day.

It was down the driveway of a house that looked like nobody lived in it, the mini itself had two flat tyres and by looking at the vegetation around it, it hasnt moved in a long while...its on a K plate 1993 ?

1 hour ago, Wino said:

I noticed a an old yellow mini on one of my walks the other day.

It was down the driveway of a house that looked like nobody lived in it, the mini itself had two flat tyres and by looking at the vegetation around it, it hasnt moved in a long while...its on a K plate 1993 ?

Well, based on this series, I don't suggest you try restoring it for profit... :laugh:

Yes, K is 92/93.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Slightly different topic but still TV related...  If anyone missed the Buses episode of Inside the Factory last night, it's well worth a watch! :smile: 

BBC Two - Inside the Factory, Series 7, Buses

OMG, I was going to post about that! The best bit for me was them making the windscreens and showing how the elements were embedded in the glass, had no idea that buses had QuickClear windscreens! Not sure I'd have had the confidence to drive that brand new bus out of the factory, definitely squeaky bum time LOL

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

...had no idea that buses had QuickClear windscreens!

Me neither.  Though thinking about it, they'd need a pretty big scraper otherwise! :laugh:   Also found it interesting that the black edging around glass is for UV protection against the adhesive.  I always just assumed it was an aesthetic thing!

And yeah, there's no way I'd have driven that through the tiny door lol.  He drove a train on last weeks programme, but you can't really steer those wrong. :biggrin: 

• Thanks 2

Was going to start another thread, but this one seems to have morphed into a car TV show, so here's another recommendation, a new series called, "Celebrity IOU Joyride" do NOT waste a moment of your time watching this piece of cr*p!! It is fronted by the very talented and creative engineer, Ant Anstead. Premise of the show is that you get a 'celebrity' with huge pockets, who want to have a car modified so they can gift it to someone in their life who has done them good..

Most recent episode was of Mary J Blige (a lady singer!), who wanted a car for her personal assistant. However, Mary has absolutely no knowledge or passion for cars, and the woman she was gifting to, also has no knowledge or passion for cars. They ended up buying a brand new top of the range Range Rover as the base car.

However, every time Ant suggested a unique mod for the exterior, Mary refused, saying she wanted to keep it low key and subtle. All his skill and talent totally wasted. I have no idea why he did this show (apart from money!).

She did allow a re trim for the interior, and a few other very minor mods. To any petrolhead, this show is an anathema, unlimited funds, unlimited talent, yet the celebrity wanted it kept standard, so goodness knows why she wanted a 'modification' show when she should have just gone to a RR dealer and run through the option list!

Anyway, a truly awful show, if you have any interest in cars, I just saved you an hour of excruciating anguish LOL...

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

...so goodness knows why she wanted a 'modification' show when she should have just gone to a RR dealer and run through the option list!

I mean, it's good publicity for her 2022 tour... :wink: 

I watched Chris Eubank on Celebrity Juice a few months ago...he visibly hated every moment and wouldn't join in with the 'fun'.  I can only assume it wasn't his choice to be there! :laugh: 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Turvey said:

@StephenFord the ***** in me wants to watch it now just to see how bad it is! 😃

So the word  m a s o c h I s t  is classed as unsavoury! 😃

• Haha 2

On 7/26/2022 at 9:59 AM, StephenFord said:

a family run car auction business in Yorkshire.

Sister and BiLaw visited there a few weeks ago, though not remotely interested in bidding for any of the lots, and said Derek Mathewson was as genial in real life as he appears on screen. Even posed for a photo with my BiLaw.

• Like 3

I am here now to eat a huge chunk of humble pie! I have just watched the latest episode of Celebrity IOU Joyride, featuring Renee Zellweger. What a delightful lady!  Fully engaged with Ant in modifying the 2 x cars she was gifting, enthusiastic and involved with the suggested modifications. I realise now that my previous criticism of the 'show' was purely due to Mary J Blige who was just awful! Yep, worth another watch... 😀

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I am here now to eat a huge chunk of humble pie! I have just watched the latest episode of Celebrity IOU Joyride, featuring Renee Zellweger. What a delightful lady!  Fully engaged with Ant in modifying the 2 x cars she was gifting, enthusiastic and involved with the suggested modifications. I realise now that my previous criticism of the 'show' was purely due to Mary J Blige who was just awful! Yep, worth another watch... 😀

That was also a very productive episode for Ant...who is now dating Renee... :wink: 

7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

That was also a very productive episode for Ant...who is now dating Renee... :wink: 

Wow, I never knew that, his 'ex' wife was a real honey too!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Wow, I never knew that, his 'ex' wife was a real honey too!

Yeah, it's weird how being good looking, rich and talented helps with that sort of thing! :laugh: 

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club