Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 - Air con seems to blow colder from passenger side dashboard vent

AntonovAN12

On my Mk2, when the air con is set to blow from only the dashboard vents, it seems that it blows slightly colder from the passenger side vents.

Is there a known likely reason for the this?

7 minutes ago, AntonovAN12 said:

On my Mk2, when the air con is set to blow from only the dashboard vents, it seems that it blows slightly colder from the passenger side vents.

Is the strength of the 'blow' the same or is one weaker than the other? Also, do you have a probe thermometer in your kitchen you can use to actually measure the temperature rather than just a subjective feeling?

• Like 1

Both seem to blow with the same pressure by feel.

I don't have a probe thermometer at home, but there may be one at work.

3 minutes ago, AntonovAN12 said:

I don't have a probe thermometer at home, but there may be one at work.

I hope you are suggesting borrowing it, and not permanently depriving them of it 🤣

• Haha 1

I remembered that I had one of those cheap inside/outside thermometer units that plugs into a cigarette lighter.

I tried the outside probe in the vents. With the passenger side vents switched on, these seemed to blow around 4c colder than the drivers side.

With the passenger side vents closed, the driver's side vents blow at the same temperature that the passenger side would when they are open.

There might be a service Procedure in FORScan to Calibrate the Actuators of the HVAC for your car as well as a Module Reset.

Might be worth a try if there is although I'm not sure if it will solve the problem.

• Like 1

As @Tizer has suggested try FORScan.

I can confirm that there is a full HVAC test mode in FORScan for the Focus Mk4 (I've used it). Not sure it will be available for your model but it's worth a look.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't yet bought a FORScan setup as I wasn't sure how long I would be keeping the car when I bought it.

On 8/21/2022 at 5:19 PM, AntonovAN12 said:

it seems that it blows slightly colder from the passenger side vents.

Is there a known likely reason for the this?

My Mk3.5 was blowing colder from passenger side too (not for the first time)
I thought there was a mechanical problem, I'd only had the gas recharged 2 years ago so I thought that was fine,
Got the Aircon Recharged at the garage again and it was all good again, apparently low levels do make them play up.
It was down to 130 where full was about 600 (ml?), according to my garage guy, not using aircon leads to it evaporating,
I'm sure with past lockdowns there are plenty of cars Aircons playing up, now that people want to use it in warm weather.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RAIDER32 said:

It was down to 130 where full was about 600 (ml?), according to my garage guy, not using aircon leads to it evaporating,

Not using it cause the seals to dry up (the gas has built in lubricants), dried up seals leak. I haven't had my A/C off ever in all my cars that have had it!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AntonovAN12 said:

I haven't yet bought a FORScan setup as I wasn't sure how long I would be keeping the car when I bought it.

If you are intending to keep driving but not necessarily in Ford cars then it would be a good Idea to treat yourself to suitable Wireless Adaptor that can be used with other Phone Apps as well such as Torque, which works with a lot of different car makes but is not as good as FORScan for Ford cars.  

13 hours ago, RAIDER32 said:

there are plenty of cars Aircons playing up, now that people want to use it in warm weather.

I always find it funny that it seems to often be the mind set of the British that Air Conditioning (A/C) is only to be used in warm weather. As it's name suggests it is for 'conditioning' the air at all temperatures and humidities. I could have under stood the misconception if they'd called it Air Cooling !

13 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I haven't had my A/C off ever in all my cars that have had it!

Likewise 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, unofix said:

I always find it funny that it seems to often be the mind set of the British that Air Conditioning (A/C) is only to be used in warm weather

I'm not sure it's entirely due to that but also people think that using A/C increases fuel consumption.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mjt said:

I'm not sure it's entirely due to that but also people think that using A/C increases fuel consumption.

Hi Suzzy how's the new car going ? and have you got the A/C on 🤣

Yes you could be right about the fuel consumption thing. In the bad old days I guess they did use quite a bit of fuel but now I think most people if they were being honest would find it very difficult to see any difference between running the car with it on or with it off.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mjt said:

Peoples method of driving effects consumption much more dramatically. Sharp acceleration, and harsh braking kills far more dolphins than the potential use of A/C. For me too, I couldn't drive a car without a working A/C, so personally it's a price well worth paying...

AC does increase fuel consumption on cars up to 2012 at least.  I've been very anal about MPG since I started driving, spreadsheets and everything! :laugh:  Only ever used AC in hot weather myself.  (Never broken one during my ownership yet, so make of that what you will...)  Doesn't make so much difference on fast roads, but around town you're much better off having the window down.

In a Ford in winter, just use the heated screen to demist...only takes a few seconds so much less fuel used for the electricity than running AC for the whole trip.  With the bonus that it doesn't 're-mist' afterwards.  Golf's in particular seem to be terrible for re-misting just as you set off!

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

In a Ford in winter, just use the heated screen to demist...only takes a few seconds so much less fuel used for the electricity than running AC for the whole trip.  With the bonus that it doesn't 're-mist' afterwards.  Golf's in particular seem to be terrible for re-misting just as you set off!

Do you not find the side windows misting up when you do that?, I do even when it is not cold but I'm either wet or straight out of the gym.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Tizer said:

I'm either wet or straight out of the gym.

Not had any side window issues, but I'm neither of those things. :laugh:

11 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

You must be odd LOL I always use A/C to clear side windows, if screen is misted, side windows follow suit...

• Thanks 1

I to am/was under the misapprehension that air-con uses more fuel as it adds strain to the engine, oh well thats me told for today haha

16 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

There you go Tom, I bet this makes you sweat just watching it😀

There is an obverse version for the politically correct, I'll find it if anyone objects.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Tizer said:

God I'm getting old, those plastic kids on that video do nothing for me 🤣

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

You must be odd LOL I always use A/C to clear side windows, if screen is misted, side windows follow suit...

Well if you insist on breathing in the car... :whistling:

Tbf, if the side windows are misted when I get in, I just press the one touch twice to drop them and roll them up again.  Certainly wouldn't waste AC on that!  But I do appreciated that some of you are sweaty or have wet dogs & kids etc.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Tizer said:

There is an obverse version for the politically correct, I'll find it if anyone objects.

Must admit, I was a bit surprised when you mentioned the gym...

Now I see why you're going. :laugh:

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, unofix said:

Hi Suzzy how's the new car going ? and have you got the A/C on 🤣

It's going extremely well. I'm very pleased with it and I have got the A/C on - who wouldn't in the current conditions? :biggrin: It's got automatic climate control, albeit only single-zone, and I'll probably just leave it on permanently.

I think you're right that the difference in mpg would be marginal at best with a modern system but changing the ingrained perception could take some time.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club