Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk3.5 Reverse Camera Retrofit - Blue Screen, Camera is Unavailable

Simon Kelly

Hi all,

Looking for some help here! I recently picked up a reverse camera, loom, and start-stop module from a Mk3.5 Sync 3 Focus in the scrappers to fit into my own Focus and all is now installed and plugged in. I had the grey plug in the boot and rear parking sensors, so was hoping it would be a simple plug-in, activate in Forscan, and play process. Unfortunately, after doing all of this, I get a blue screen when I put the car into reverse. After a few seconds the screen then goes black, and I get a pop-up after a few more seconds that says "Camera is Unavailable".

Could anyone shed any light on what might be going on?

I did look up the fuse box diagrams and noticed that F29 under the bonnet apparently feeds the reverse camera, and I'm missing this fuse. Could that be causing the headache?

Thanks in advance!

• Sad 1

Well i think you have just answered your own question 

• Like 1

Just now, Ecosport2019 said:

Well i think you have just answered your own question 

I want to be sure that others with the camera have the fuse. There's another fuse in the boot labelled F29 that also powers the reverse camera apparently, but some places say this is only required if start-stop isn't installed. I'd rather be sure than try a fuse and be no better off!

1 hour ago, Simon Kelly said:

... I'd rather be sure than try a fuse and be no better off!

Most members here would gladly try a 20p fuse to potentially fix an issue! LOL

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

Most members here would gladly try a 20p fuse to potentially fix an issue! LOL

And I would have in all likelihood, but if anybody else had anything else to look out for, I'd like to know ahead of time!

1 hour ago, Simon Kelly said:

I did look up the fuse box diagrams and noticed that F29 under the bonnet apparently feeds the reverse camera

It most possibly does supply the camera on those cars that were built with it. I expect you will find that there is only one contact fitted in the fuse holder and the other side will be missing the contact for the fuse and also missing the extra wiring.

• Like 2

Just now, unofix said:

It most possibly does supply the camera on those cars that were built with it. I expect you will find that there is only one contact fitted in the fuse holder and the other side will be missing the contact for the fuse and also missing the extra wiring.

I've done what research I can ahead of time, and from what I've found, if the car has the plug in the boot (which mine does), it tends to have all other necessary wiring. Suppose I'll find out tomorrow and report back for anyone curious, since there's a bit of a lack of info on it!

• Like 1

Just now, Simon Kelly said:

... I'll find out tomorrow and report back for anyone curious, since there's a bit of a lack of info on it!

Yep, we like people that report back here - keeps the circle of information alive for the next guy...

• Like 2

Can you just confirm what year your Focus is please. All the fuse boxes I've checked don't have fuse 29 as having anything to do with the reverse camera.

Are your profile details correct ?

focus.JPG

I know when I fitted an aftermarket camera to my mk 3 focus, the blue live feed wire was not present in the grey connection in the boot. The aftermarket camera had the wire running with the video cable which I connected to the vbat cable on the back of my sync module. 

On the mk3 wiring diagram, there is a relay and a fuse 31 in the boot fuse box. I'm pretty sure, both the relay and fuse was not present on my focus when I wired my camera.

1 hour ago, Nathan Buffery said:

I know when I fitted an aftermarket camera to my mk 3 focus, the blue live feed wire was not present in the grey connection in the boot. The aftermarket camera had the wire running with the video cable which I connected to the vbat cable on the back of my sync module. 

On the mk3 wiring diagram, there is a relay and a fuse 31 in the boot fuse box. I'm pretty sure, both the relay and fuse was not present on my focus when I wired my camera.

I've been going through the wiring diagram myself and see Fuse 31 and Relay 1 both feeding it also, so I'll have a dig around later.

11 hours ago, unofix said:

Can you just confirm what year your Focus is please. All the fuse boxes I've checked don't have fuse 29 as having anything to do with the reverse camera.

Are your profile details correct ?

focus.JPG

Updated now, but it's a Mk3.5 Titanium.

11 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Yep, we like people that report back here - keeps the circle of information alive for the next guy...

Can confirm F29 contacts NOT present in engine bay fuse box. As above, I'm going through the wiring diagrams for the mk3 at the moment, and it is run differently, however I believe the mk3 also required a standalone camera module while the 3.5 has this integrated. I'm going to be checking the plug for power, and may be able to run a supply from the ignition switched relay in the boot. Again, will report back.

Another update.

Per the below wiring diagram for the mk3.5, F28 in the engine bay feeds the camera when the car is start-stop equipped, and F29 in the boot feeds it when not start-stop equipped. Both of these fuses are present on my Focus. Mine is start-stop, and the start-stop module was replaced with the one from the donor car, and the grey plug in the boot has all 6 pins occupied and wired, so the camera should be getting power and sending signal, but isn't. I'll try a continuity test on the new harness and will also try continuity to the back of the Sync unit. I do note that the BCM is connected to pin 2 Lin signal, and I haven't made any changes to the BCM as-built. Will try poking around in BCM as-built to see if anything needs to be changed and if this is the reason for all my headaches!

image.thumb.png.eb65412c3d06bd718dad80d55b791aba.png

I definitely enabled mine in the BCM. I also changed an option within the IPC. I now get a fault saying 'lost communication with camera' and the strange thing is, I can't find the rear camera option in the IPC anymore. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another update. Checked the harness with a meter and there's power on the white wire as expected, but brown wire doesn't have continuity to ground which could explain my troubles. The weather is against me at the moment, so can't exactly start stripping out the boot, but once I get a good day I'll be having a look. Might try jumping from brown to ground and if that solves it, go tracing the harness back (or run my own ground).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just to keep everyone in the loop, it's been a hectic Christmas so haven't had a chance to check with known good ground, but will update as and when I get the chance (Hopefully next weekend).

• Like 1

Hi had the same issue as you @Simon Kelly, although I used the factory boot harness for the factory camera, and I could not get to work, I had the following missing from my car 2017 Titanium.

Wiring from centre console area to APIM (Blue and Green wires), I fitted these, still no camera, done a bit more poking about and discovered that I didn't have a ground, but had power, grounded the camera locally in the boot and got working, however I don't have the wiring going to the BCM for the active steering guide lines, but I can live without.

I'm pretty sure there was another thread on fitting the rear camera, but possibly it was on a Mondeo rather than the focus. There was some discussion on this thread about what generated the lines. I can't remember now if it was the APIM, the Module or the camera itself. I have the lines, but they dont move when I turn the steering. I dont have the OEM camera or the Module, so I can only assume it gets the lines from the camera.

18 hours ago, KevG said:

Hi had the same issue as you @Simon Kelly, although I used the factory boot harness for the factory camera, and I could not get to work, I had the following missing from my car 2017 Titanium.

Wiring from centre console area to APIM (Blue and Green wires), I fitted these, still no camera, done a bit more poking about and discovered that I didn't have a ground, but had power, grounded the camera locally in the boot and got working, however I don't have the wiring going to the BCM for the active steering guide lines, but I can live without.

Seems I'm running into the same issue. Going to visit a scrappers again soon and get both the BCM and the APIM harness to get it up and going!

Going to attempt this on my car.

Anyone got a picture of the "grey box" / "grey connector" in the boot.

Unsure what to look for.

Thanks,

David.

On 1/14/2023 at 8:15 AM, Nathan Buffery said:

I'm pretty sure there was another thread on fitting the rear camera, but possibly it was on a Mondeo rather than the focus. There was some discussion on this thread about what generated the lines. I can't remember now if it was the APIM, the Module or the camera itself. I have the lines, but they dont move when I turn the steering. I dont have the OEM camera or the Module, so I can only assume it gets the lines from the camera.

No, the active steering lines are activated via the camera and the BCM using the LINbus wire, but if you using a Non-factory camera then they will not work.

On 1/14/2023 at 6:43 PM, Simon Kelly said:

Seems I'm running into the same issue. Going to visit a scrappers again soon and get both the BCM and the APIM harness to get it up and going!

You just need to add the missing wires, there is a guide on here some where showing what wires you need to populate the APIM connector from the floor console connector

On 1/16/2023 at 2:40 PM, SMaxedDavid said:

Going to attempt this on my car.

Anyone got a picture of the "grey box" / "grey connector" in the boot.

Unsure what to look for.

Thanks,

David.

Spare connector in boot | Ford Focus ST Forum

Right hand side of the boot, remove the little cover

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another update. I have since ordered a tap in loom from china that adds an RCA jack onto the sync 3 loom, so need to do some digging and find out where the grey loom winds up in the car, then modify an RCA lead to connect the grey loom to the new rca jack. Again, will update (hopefully with pictures) once complete!