Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK4 errors

Shimmy

So I went in for a ECU tunning and the guy found some errors. I went to the dealership and they said everything is fine, just ignore them. They erased the errors but they seem to pop up again on diagnosis. Does anybody know what these errors are? I think the dealership doesn't want to fix them since the car is still in warranty until 100.000 km.

Euroford_WF0MXXGCHMKY62845_AllSystemDTC_20230313170949.PDF

I'm not a professional mechanic but I know that poor 12V battery health can cause issues with various sensor communication which manifest as anomalous errors. This would be my first bet. The PSCM telling you problems with the battery voltage is the biggest give away.

The report also has a tire pressure sensor error. These sensors are within the tyre (next to the valve) they are sealed units and expensive to replace. Since TPMS error has also shown up at the same time however, hopefully this is also related to low 12V battery health causing communication error, which has been logged as 2 problems.

The active grille air shutter is an interesting one, it could not be closing or opening fully due to debris, but again, looking at the issue in conjunction with other sensor errors leads me to believe it's also suffering from the same low voltage caused by poor 12V battery health.

An ECU tuner would be spooked by battery issues as the last thing you want is the power to die when reprogramming, as that's a bricked ECU risk. They should have a power supply hooked up while the engine isn't running as a precaution.

Interesting would the battery repair fall under warranty?

Actually the tuner was spooked by the active grill shutter, he said it might not open fully.

P.S. I reuploaded the diagnosis as jpeg since some might have problems opening the pdf.

Untitled.png

This ABS Error is a kind of "screwed up by Ford" feature. I have it and many other guys too.

As numerous other posts here will show you’ll just have to keep the battery charged every few weeks. 

i tried changing the target state of charge in ForScan which didn’t stop those errors coming and eventually bought a bigger battery than was fitted from factory but kept my charger eyelets fitted as I know it’ll still need charging anyway. 

• Like 1

From the replys I'm guessing it's the battery. I'm wondering if the active grille shutter isn't a separate problem, since the guy said it's a common fault with mk4.

My question is, does the battery repair or replacement fall under warranty repair?

Easiest way to check will be to clear the codes, charge the battery while it’s fitted in the car with the neutral cable from the charger on the cars earth point. 

If code comes back I’d assume it could be a separate issue, if not, then voltage. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club