Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Newbie queries

danielsan8787

Hi everyone, I just collected my new (used in fact) Focus estate 1.5 tdci 120bhp. I think its a 2018 model but was reg in 2019. It's the titanium trimline. The dealer has done a service prior to deliver including the replacement of the alternator. 

First of all, I have checked the invoice for the present service which I have not paid for as it was offered by the dealer. I almost had a heart attack as it was 1k parts and labour. Furthermore the previous services (not at Ford) were all between 4 and 600. One had the fron brake oads replaced as well but these should be chip as chips. Additionally, I would not change oil and pollen filter at every service but rather every other service. Is servicing a Focus really that expensive? its my first car since I moved to the UK and I don't know any mechanic to go to for future reference (Im in west sussex area so shout out if you know a reliable and economical one).

2. I installed the ford pass app and inputted my vin etc. It says oil life remain 20%. Based on the above, ie oil and filter changed prior to delivery, I am wondering if the app is nuts or if I got scammed, but with legitimate invoice it seems quite unrealistic to me.

Any advice or opinion is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

3 minutes ago, danielsan8787 said:

Hi everyone, I just collected my new (used in fact) Focus estate 1.5 tdci 120bhp. I think its a 2018 model but was reg in 2019. It's the titanium trimline. The dealer has done a service prior to deliver including the replacement of the alternator. 

First of all, I have checked the invoice for the present service which I have not paid for as it was offered by the dealer. I almost had a heart attack as it was 1k parts and labour. Furthermore the previous services (not at Ford) were all between 4 and 600. One had the fron brake oads replaced as well but these should be chip as chips. Additionally, I would not change oil and pollen filter at every service but rather every other service. Is servicing a Focus really that expensive? its my first car since I moved to the UK and I don't know any mechanic to go to for future reference (Im in west sussex area so shout out if you know a reliable and economical one).

2. I installed the ford pass app and inputted my vin etc. It says oil life remain 20%. Based on the above, ie oil and filter changed prior to delivery, I am wondering if the app is nuts or if I got scammed, but with legitimate invoice it seems quite unrealistic to me.

Any advice or opinion is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

4-600 pounds for a service is way over the top. shop around for future servicing lots of decent garages out there, as for the front brake pads £25-30. I change the oil an filter every year an plugs, pollen an air filter every two as i dont do high miles. To put things into context i recently serviced my focus for £88 £106 with the vat (luckily the vat i dont pay though company i work for) as i work in a garage so i did the work myself, again my advice is shop around in the future.

Screenshot_20230318_165326_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, Julian0476 said:

4-600 pounds for a service is way over the top. shop around for future servicing lots of decent garages out there, as for the front brake pads £25-30. I change the oil an filter every year an plugs, pollen an air filter every two as i dont do high miles. To put things into context i recently serviced my focus for £88 £106 with the vat (luckily the vat i dont pay though company i work for) as i work in a garage so i did the work myself, again my advice is shop around in the future.

Screenshot_20230318_165326_Gallery.jpg

Thanks. I thought these guys were charging quite a lot to be honest. I'll definitely make some phone calls when the time comes. Cheers.

Regarding the oil life in the app, that’s based on if the oil life was reset on the dash. On mine you can reset it manually, although I know on some variants they removed it from the user being able to do it. If you can reset it then it’ll update in the app in a few hours. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Buxty said:

Regarding the oil life in the app, that’s based on if the oil life was reset on the dash. On mine you can reset it manually, although I know on some variants they removed it from the user being able to do it. If you can reset it then it’ll update in the app in a few hours. 

Thanks Buxty. I have checked online on the procedure. I can confirm that my dash doesn't allow me to do this. I have found a tutorial where you can do it by pressing down brake and accelerator to force the reset. I guess the people at the dealership didn't know that so I'll do it myself later. 😉

• Thanks 1