Do Not Sell My Personal Information

mk1 focus 1.6 automatic, gearbox issue

fraserdow

Hi there,

Hoping that someone can help. I have a 2003 auto focus which has been giving me major issues. Initially the gearbox wouldn't shift into 4th, this was the usual solenoid issue.

Just before I took it to the garage to fix this it began to jerk and bang as it engaged reverse. This has not gone away after the solenoid change

I had a guy test the solenoids but he has said there seems to be no issue and I need to try a new valve block.

I am really struggling to find one of those that will fit. Does anyone have experience of this issue?

Thank you in advance.

I doubt very much you need a valve block.

But you probably need new fluid, when was the fluid last changed? How many miles has the car done?

4F1E has no drain plug, so you need to remove the sump to get the fluid out, to get to the filter assy AND get to the solenoids.

Just out of interest, ask your mechanic if he changed the fluid when he supposedly changed the solenoid. If he says no then you know he hasn't had the sump off and hasn't changed any solenoids.

I would imagine that the solenoids are blocked due to insufficient fluid changes.

Search on youtube "4F1E" fluid change and solenoid cleaning

Get a new filter

Get a new sump gasket

Get new fluid, it will be MERCON V or similar (NOT LV)

Get some carb or brake cleaner

Drop the sump and remove the filter, then remove the solenoids, one by one, clean them with the cleaner and refit.

If the fluid is very dark brown when you remove, leave the old filter in, buy another sump gasket, just refill with clean oil then after 500 miles drop the sump and replace the filter and fluid again

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 7:58 AM, DaveT70 said:

I doubt very much you need a valve block.

But you probably need new fluid, when was the fluid last changed? How many miles has the car done?

4F1E has no drain plug, so you need to remove the sump to get the fluid out, to get to the filter assy AND get to the solenoids.

Just out of interest, ask your mechanic if he changed the fluid when he supposedly changed the solenoid. If he says no then you know he hasn't had the sump off and hasn't changed any solenoids.

I would imagine that the solenoids are blocked due to insufficient fluid changes.

Search on youtube "4F1E" fluid change and solenoid cleaning

Get a new filter

Get a new sump gasket

Get new fluid, it will be MERCON V or similar (NOT LV)

Get some carb or brake cleaner

Drop the sump and remove the filter, then remove the solenoids, one by one, clean them with the cleaner and refit.

If the fluid is very dark brown when you remove, leave the old filter in, buy another sump gasket, just refill with clean oil then after 500 miles drop the sump and replace the filter and fluid again

Hi Dave,

Sorry for the late reply, never got a notification.

The fluid and filter was changed before as a precaution before the solenoid change. Then it was done again or at least partly when they did the solenoids. Definitely changed them as they gave me back the old ones.

I will see if I can try your suggestion but as I said the fluid, filter and solenoids are definitely all new.

Thanks,

Fraser.