Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speedo Flickering?

batesyy

Hi everyone

I hope you're all well! Sorry if I don't make much sense, first time posting!! 

I have a 2003 mk1 Focus, I had the dreaded speed sensor issue and decided to get a new genuine part instead of a cheap one off eBay. Got it fitted etc fine but ever since my speedo needle is like flickering? So I can be going a steady speed of say 30mph, but it'll be flickering between 27-33mph roughly? 

Has anyone else had this issue or does anyone have any idea what I can do please?

Thank you!

• Confused 1

Can we start at the beginning?

What was the original problem with the speedo and what sensor was replaced ?

21 minutes ago, unofix said:

Can we start at the beginning?

What was the original problem with the speedo and what sensor was replaced ?

Thank you for the reply! 

So as I was driving the speedo would drop to 0 and I'd lose a little bit of power and then 1 minute later it would come back again and the power would go back to normal. I decided to leave it and it didn't happen for about 2 months. When it happened again it was a lot worse, it would stay at 0 constantly so I couldn't see what speed I was doing at all. The car was very juddery and lost power at times too, which I was told it was because of the speed sensor in the gearbox which needed replacing. I replaced the speed sensor, but noticed the speed needle was flickering slightly like I said above and the car was still juddering. Came up with a misfire code, so replaced all spark plugs, HT leads and the coil pack. No more juddering but the speed needle still flickers! 

I've noticed that whenever I take my foot of the accelerator, the car seems to slow down a lot quicker than it normally would? Don't know if that makes any difference? 

Thank you again!

• Like 1

Thank you for the explanation 👍

The normal cause of the speedo issue is a faulty ABS sensor but on a 2003 model that doesn't apply.

Possibly the original diagnosis was actually not correct and like many things on older vehicles if you disturb something it often appears to have fixed the fault. Replacing the speed sensor may have not actually been the problem.

It is common for your model to suffer from poor solder joints on the instrument cluster and/or water ingress in to the GEM unit.

Next time the problem occurs give the top of the dashboard a bit of a thump just above the instrument cluster. If you see a change (better or worse) that would suggest the problem is with the soldering. It is easy fixed and there are many online companies who will repair/refurbish the instrument cluster for around £80

• Like 3

2 hours ago, unofix said:

Thank you for the explanation 👍

The normal cause of the speedo issue is a faulty ABS sensor but on a 2003 model that doesn't apply.

Possibly the original diagnosis was actually not correct and like many things on older vehicles if you disturb something it often appears to have fixed the fault. Replacing the speed sensor may have not actually been the problem.

It is common for your model to suffer from poor solder joints on the instrument cluster and/or water ingress in to the GEM unit.

Next time the problem occurs give the top of the dashboard a bit of a thump just above the instrument cluster. If you see a change (better or worse) that would suggest the problem is with the soldering. It is easy fixed and there are many online companies who will repair/refurbish the instrument cluster for around £80

Thank you for your reply mate! 

Yeah true that could be a possibility. The speedo did work once the sensor was replaced though, but I get what you're saying!

I did read up the cluster could be an issue from the condensation? The speed needle is always flickering there's not a time it isn't unless I'm stopped. I was out this morning and I gave it a thump but didn't notice any difference unfortunately, maybe I didn't hit it hard enough haha!

Do you think it's worth taking it out and having a look?  

If it's a constant problem and a good old thump made no difference then for the moment I'd rule that out as a likely cause.

I know you have used a genuine Ford sensor as the replacement but it could be either the wrong part, (parts departments do get things wrong) or the sensor could be faulty or has not been fitted correctly.

You could always just buy a cheap Chinese copy and get it fitted. Then if it works good, or if the fault remains the same you can assume its not a sensor fault and it is probably the actual speedo. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, unofix said:

If it's a constant problem and a good old thump made no difference then for the moment I'd rule that out as a likely cause.

I know you have used a genuine Ford sensor as the replacement but it could be either the wrong part, (parts departments do get things wrong) or the sensor could be faulty or has not been fitted correctly.

You could always just buy a cheap Chinese copy and get it fitted. Then if it works good, or if the fault remains the same you can assume its not a sensor fault and it is probably the actual speedo. 

Oh really okay!

Yeah I was thinking it might be a dodgy part for whatever reason. The sensor can only go in one certain way and plug in one way, but you could be right  

I did buy a cheap one off eBay to start off with but it didn't work at all, my speed still showed 0, which why I decided to get the genuine part for £90. Did have a lot of hassle getting it out and back in, so I'm really hoping it isn't the sensor