Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK7 1.4 Zetec ABS/brake bleeding issue (Confused.com)

FatHead1979

Hi all, I've not been on here for a while (the usual work and family commitments etc) so I'm not exactly thrilled to be rocking up after being MIA and asking for help but that's where I find myself!

As many of us that do our own car maintenance have experienced, even a well planned job sometimes goes wrong (and that's where I am currently with my wife's car).

Before starting the journey outlined below, I did my research i.e. Haynes manual, trawled the forum and watched a few YT videos, including at least 1 where someone successfully used Forscan to "ABS bleed" a MK7 Fiesta using the ABS pump, so at this point I thought it wouldn't be too difficult...#FamousLastWords

So I:

1. Removed the ABS pump (full unit)
  2. Had it fully rebuilt by ECU Testing in Derby because it was exhibiting all the symptoms associated with the known issues with the MK7 ABS unit (DTCs, inconsistent braking behaviour & finally, increasingly common warnings of "ABS malfunction, stop vehicle now!"
    1. This page contains the part numbers for the pump of the car https://www.ecutesting.com/product-catalogue/ford/fiesta/abs-pump-ecumodule-combined/amc955813/
  3. Refitted the pump to car
  4. Pumped the brake pedal a few times and found I'd got no brake pedal (not exactly a surprise at this point)
  5. Bled the master cylinder with it still installed in the car (back into itself after purchasing the following parts, disconnecting the 2 output hard lines and looping the outputs back into the reservoir)
    1. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BL3FLV7D?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details (AND)
    2. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08GP6F2QZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
  6. Now getting a bit of resistance in the brake pedal with the engine off
  7. Attempted to bleed the ABS pump using the "ABS bleed" service function on Forscan but Forscan refused to play ball and returned an error message of "only available on vehicles with ESP or TCS", basically the same issue as outlined here https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7049&p=60049&hilit=fiesta+abs+bleed#p60049
    1. Emailed Forscan support who advised that Forscan 'BleedMaster' functionality is only available on MK7 Fiesta ABS ECUs with the following part numbers 2C405, 2C285, 2C485 and 2C205 (mine is 2M110) and I should be able to bleed the whole system using the 'old school' method i.e. by using the brake pedal
  8. Bled both front calipers using a 1 man bleed kit, using over a litre of DOT 4 fluid to ensure that part of the system ended up with new fluid and no air left in it
    1. Was unable to bleed the rear drums because the bleed nipples are now part of the brake unit! (rusted)
  9. I've now got only a small amount of braking capability, along with a very spongy brake pedal
  10. Purchased a TOPDON AD800BT (their highest spec consumer scan tool, which Topdon confirmed does support the "ABS Bleed" service function on the MK7 Fiesta) from here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264835192078
    1. The Topdon also had the same issue as Forscan!
  11. The car is now booked into a trusted local indi to have the rear brakes sorted (almost certainly new cylinders, new bleed nipples and appropriate adjustments) as well as full bleed of the entire braking system

All of the above is basically my rather long winded way of asking if:

1. Anyone has ever come across a MK7 Fiesta that also seemingly did NOT support the core "ABS bleed" service functionality and if so
    1. Did they ever have to bleed the full system and using which method (pressure, vacuum, brake pedal etc) and ultimately were they successful?

I'm basically just trying to pre-empt any further issues when it goes into the garage on Thursday! I guess I'm just a bit concerned that despite what the Forscan support team said, the garage won't be able to get the air currently trapped in the pump out by using any of the traditional methods.

I've tagged @iantt @JW1982 as historically they've been our resident Ford geniuses on here but obviously I'll take sensible advice from anyone that feels they can contribute!

• Sad 1

Okay so it's update time - it's all sorted i.e. the little Fezza now has very nice braking ability.

Although my garage has a lot of experience with Ford's (I know Ford don't make the ABS module/pump) even they had issues with getting the brake pedal back to a proper level of performance.

The mechanic that worked on it wasn't in work when I collected it but apparently their scan tool WAS able to actuate the ABS pump valves but this still wasn't enough to restore a proper brake pedal, so they had the ABS pump off and did 'something' with it before they refitted it.

Eventually they managed to get all the air out of the system, serviced the rear drums and now it feels like all 4 corners have brand new brakes. The garage did also say that the mechanic used swear words to describe how much of a pain the job was to get sorted out!

Now to give it a full service, including NGK iridium spark plugs and a new Bosch coil pack, ready for its MOT.

Thank god my garage managed to figure it out, otherwise I'd have had to have it trailered to the nearest Ford stealership and we all know that means spending £££££££!

• Like 1