Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK2 2007 pre facelift fog lights issue

Ford2023

Hi, I have an issue where every time I turn the control for the Front or Rear fog the 20a fuse keeps blowing. I have checked by removing the bulbs and still the same as well as having an auto electrician look at it. He seems to think it is the Instrument cluster but apron closer inspection of this there is no signs of dry solder or burnt out parts. We isolated the issue between the plugs on the Passenger footwell a pillar and the Instrument cluster.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this model or know where I could get one from or have any suggestions? 

2007 Mk2 Focus 1.6 Automatic Petrol. 

Check the connections in the GEM (fusebox under the glovebox) and also check for fur on the connector pins, if present you have water ingress problems with the GEM

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ford2023 said:

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this model

I have the Ford schematics for the Focus EU_C307 2010 if they would help ?

Attached is the closest document I have.

There's also a simplified diagram in the Haynes manual. I won't provide a photo due to copyright, but I can describe it to you since it's pretty simple...

• battery power concerning fog lights comes through two fuses in the engine bay fusebox, F11 (20A) and F12 (40A). F11 is the 'ignition switch' fuse and F12 is the 'ignition relay' fuse.
  • The circuit from F11 passes through the ignition switch, then to the GEM via a Gn/Ye wire (c102/36), where it just directly leaves again via a Gn/Wh wire (c96/27) back to the engine bay fusebox, where it passes through F25 (10A - 'ignition relays') and then through the activation circuit of relay R41 (which may be labelled R8 in the actual fusebox). (In on relay pin 1 via Gn/Bu wire, back out via pin 2 Bk/Bu wire). It then returns to the GEM at c95/13, where it then disappears into the complexity of the GEM module.
  • The circuit from F12 passes through the activated circuit of relay R41 (again, may be labelled R8 in the actual fusebox). (In on pin 3, back out via pin 5 Gn/Rd wire). This heads off to the GEM (c96/21), where it passes through fuse F116 (20A) before heading back out via c102/30 (still Gn/Rd) to pin 7 of the light switch. From here it is simply illuminating backlights of the light switch, providing power to the light bulbs, and illuminating the LEDs in the instrument cluster.

I don't see any reason at all to suspect the instrument cluster being involved in the fault. I'd strongly suggest water ingress at the GEM is the problem, as Dave suggests. Otherwise a short circuit at the ignition or at some point along these wires.

1040670937_FORDFOCUSWIRINGDIAGRAM.pdf

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, rd457 said:

I don't see any reason at all to suspect the instrument cluster being involved in the fault. I'd strongly suggest water ingress at the GEM is the problem, as Dave suggests.

Full agree !! 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rd457 said:

There's also a simplified diagram in the Haynes manual. I won't provide a photo due to copyright...

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen anyone quote, "copyright" before on this forum LOL

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

ever seen anyone quote, "copyright"

I remember the "cartwrights" from Bonanza is that kind of the same ? 🤣

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, unofix said:

I remember the "cartwrights" from Bonanza is that kind of the same ? 🤣

I just had a sudden nostalgia for lazy Saturday afternoons as a kid! LOL

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club