Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Old XP laptops

Jimpster

In conversations with Unofix we both have old XP lappies mines a Sony Vaio FS315B. After much playing and hair pulling on my part, i can confirm, NO Linux derivative will install as it looks for drivers. None of the windows Tiny series will install due again to missing drivers i think Nvdiia.

But and heres the kicker standard Win 7 WILL install and run, you then just wade in and dump all the garbage you dont need, If your desperate for a browser try Pale Moon works quite well.

Am meaning mainly for those that want to run FORscan on a cheap can be picked up for £20.00 lappy, 2Gb Ram 60Gb HDD and yes it does run the afformentioned FORscan and very well even the extended licence version.

Also runs ELM config.

Hopefully this helps someone, 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the update @Jimpster.

So now I need to find a way of obtaining a copy of windows 7 for my old Sony laptop and I'm good to go 👍

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, unofix said:

Thank you for the update @Jimpster.

So now I need to find a way of obtaining a copy of windows 7 for my old Sony laptop and I'm good to go 👍

Yes but i cant say how as technically illegal and frowned upon here. I went with the 7 starter Sp1 version as it has the smallest footprint. ADMIN ..... I have genuine copies of ALL software i have ever used so nothing illegal here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimpster said:

... I have genuine copies of ALL software i have ever used so nothing illegal here.

eerrr... me too guv, honest... :wink3:

43 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

eerrr... me too guv, honest... :wink3:

I do actually am a bit @n@l that way with master disks. Linux's are free anyway. I do have "some " dodgy software

• Thanks 1

We don’t care whether you have genuine or illegal software just that you don’t discuss where to get it, how to get it, etc. 

It’s not that any of the team care what you do, but we have to protect the site from hosting any way of bypassing copyright controls, licences etc so that it doesn’t get served takedown requests. 

• Like 2

I appreciate that Alexp999, hence why i made no mention of where and how to go about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Me again, another update, my old Vaio, i got it running windows 7 after putting Xp on then the battery died. So £30 new battery or £30 newer laptop Samsung R730, no HDD but i had one laying around all up and running latest Linux Cinnamon to play with and a damn good clean. Now to get FORscan running on it. If not will throw windows at it, and sell on. I like playing keeps me out of trouble.

Bonus i found what was strangling my main laptop, Google Chrome 75% CPU and near 100% memory, backed up my bookmarks and saved passwords, dumped it and gone Firefox. 4 hours in and no choking.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

Bonus i found what was strangling my main laptop, Google Chrome 75% CPU and near 100% memory, backed up my bookmarks and saved passwords, dumped it and gone Firefox. 4 hours in and no choking.

I now alternate between FireFox & Chrome, when one gives me issues, I stop using it for a week or so, and use the other. One of them gives me issues with a black screen on using google maps, can't remember which, and the other also gives me other issues. Neither are perfect, though Chrome bugs me alot giving a permanent warning that I'm about to die because I'm using Windows 7 LOL

• Like 3

When chrome and Firefox give up the ghost supporting win 7 try pale moon as i suggested earlier it works well with unsupported systems. I cant understand why chrome needs 30+ open processes when ive only got 3 sites open.

For others when you hear your fans whirring and any typing struggles to keep up with key strokes open Task Manager and see whats resource hogging.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

When chrome and Firefox give up the ghost supporting win 7 try pale moon as i suggested earlier it works well with unsupported systems. I cant understand why chrome needs 30+ open processes when ive only got 3 sites open.

For others when you hear your fans whirring and any typing struggles to keep up with key strokes open Task Manager and see whats resource hogging.

I have never heard of Pale Moon, but just downloaded it - am an immediate fan as it's not FireFox or Chrome. On messing about with it though, I can not see a way to import my bookmarks, am I missing something obvious?

• Like 2

FEBE, Firefox Environment Backup Extension, save as HTML file and import

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Jimpster said:

FEBE, Firefox Environment Backup Extension, save as HTML file and import

OK, got my FireFox bookmarks on an HTML file, but have failed miserably to find the 'import' function on Pale Moon. Where is it?  😪

Can't you just fold the corner of the page over?

• Haha 3

Answered my own question. It's under, 'organize bookmarks'... You'll see the import function there.

• Like 2

Glad your sorted, enjoy.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club