Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

DIY paint jobs

OilSheikh

As we all know paintwork repair jobs are very expensive on any car.

What do you guys do about scrapes and scracthes? Suck it up and go to a bodyshop or have you had any success with DIY rattle can repairs?
I have tried rattle cans in the past and could never blend the colours.

As often the case, it depends.

Wouldn't try it with a rattle can on a newish car (particularly in metallic), though have touched in small chips quite successfully with a fine brush building up the paint and lacquer in layers. For more serious stuff I have used the local Chips Away franchisee and been pleased, or for bigger jobs a local bodyshop who isn't cheap but does a very good job.

Not so fussy when I had an older car, particularly if there's a clear line you can spray up to, or the area is in shadow. The key thing there is more to protect from future rusting than looks.

One of the best jobs I did (many moons ago!) was when I "Cooperised" a BL Mini, spraying the whole roof with a can, flatted down between coats with extra fine wet and dry, then carefully polished.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, unofix said:

@StephenFord has done some good touch up with rattle cans after getting some panels repaired.

I fear you credit me with talent I don't have LOL I 'rattle canned' the rear of the sill with gloss black, but I painted the actual panel with an old fashioned paint brush 🤣

• Like 3

On 12/31/2023 at 6:24 PM, StephenFord said:

I fear you credit me with talent I don't have LOL I 'rattle canned' the rear of the sill with gloss black, but I painted the actual panel with an old fashioned paint brush 🤣

That's a damn good job Tom. And, lovely colour too.

• Haha 1

I ended up with 3 points on my license as I drove through an amber and half my car had crossed when the lights turned red. It had just finished raining and the sun came through and was shining brightly and it was difficult to see what was in front of me.

Anyway, I went to insure my 2l Focus and everyone wants £850! Before it was £400. On my brother's 1.6l Focus, it's £300 for me. So, I am going to have to sell my car and drive his car instead. I have to change vehicle ownership with DVLA too.

Now, there is a paint damage on the front bumper. I have a feeling I will need to spray paint the entire front bumper as a sectional repair will not blend in with the rest.

95441693905772_large.jpg

8 hours ago, OilSheikh said:

That's a damn good job Tom. And, lovely colour too.

Yes, well done Tom, great job 🤣

• Haha 2

I've a few scratches that need touched up if Tom could call round sometime soon 👍

• Haha 2

Well because your 'new' car is silver and the paintwork has faded somewhat you will Never get a colour match from a rattle can if you only paint a small section of the bumper. You'll have to paint all of it. 

As for the colour. You'll have to experiment purely because the original paint has faded.

Personally if my car needed paint then I go to my go to body shop. Perfect cour match every time. And at a very reasonable cost.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tazzman600 said:

... And at a very reasonable cost.

You had me, right up to that 🤣

• Haha 1

I suspect his 'reasonable cost' is different to ours. :biggrin:

• Haha 3

You know what Tom your quote smacks of something approaching stupid.

You don't know my financial position but I bet its much worse than yours. So by reasonable read affordable. 

Shame you come out with 'derrr' type comments when for the most I have a respect for.

• Sad 1

On 1/6/2024 at 10:21 AM, tazzman600 said:

You know what Tom your quote smacks of something approaching stupid.

You don't know my financial position but I bet its much worse than yours. So by reasonable read affordable. 

Shame you come out with 'derrr' type comments when for the most I have a respect for.

Chill.

What Tom meant was bodyshop repairs are expensive for old cars like mine and Tom's. Repair costs ( "reasonable cost" ) are usually almost half the cost of our cars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have just painted my scrape with rattle cans and it looks good.

The process I followed was :

Use a sanding disc with a drill , low grit
Wetsand with sandpaper, high grit
Spray with water
Wipe with rubbing alcohol once dry
Tape surrounding area with bin bags as close to the repair area
Spray your can from a distance so that the spray droplets land in a mist
Repeat again once dry
Remove taped surroundings and tape further away
Spray at edges of repair to blend and get rid of the picture frame effect
Spray Clearcoat across
Repeat spray once dry
Rub with Meguiar UC

I do not have the before pic unfortunately.

IMG_20240118_122432247.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OilSheikh said:

I have just painted my scrape with rattle cans and it looks good.

The issue right now is the temperature which here in NI drops to -5c, and doesn't get above freezing. Hope you had a nice warm toastie garage to work in! Nice job...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StephenFord said:

The issue right now is the temperature which here in NI drops to -5c, and doesn't get above freezing. Hope you had a nice warm toastie garage to work in! Nice job...

It's cold down here but I worked on sunny days.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club