Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intermittent starting issuse

Neilldia

Hi

I have a mk3 2011 Focus 1.6TDCI titanium. Been having issues with intermittent starting.

Started out once every 3 months now its all the time. 

Car won't unlock with the fob and have to use the key. Once inside I hit the power button, dash lights up then clutch in and hit the power button again and nothing, lights go out, gauges start to flicker. Repeat the process and exactly same thing happens until dash doesnt light up at all as if there is no power and the battery is dead.

I then connect my jump pack and the car fires up straight away although I have to spark the negative terminal to initially get any power/lights on. 

I had the BCM replaced last year which seemed to resolve the issue but still had 1 or 2 instances on start up where the dash would cut out but would start straight away on the second attempt. 

Anyone had the issue and managed to resolve it.

32 minutes ago, Neilldia said:

as if there is no power and the battery is dead.

Well it sounds like a straight forward case of the battery is dead and you need a new one. How old is the battery and have you measured the terminal voltage with a multimeter ?

Have you had the instrument cluster refurbished yet ? The Focus 2011 is one of the models affected by dry solder joints causing intermittent faults

Ford - Battery SOC & Text.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2024 at 9:32 AM, unofix said:

Well it sounds like a straight forward case of the battery is dead and you need a new one. How old is the battery and have you measured the terminal voltage with a multimeter ?

Have you had the instrument cluster refurbished yet ? The Focus 2011 is one of the models affected by dry solder joints causing intermittent faults

Ford - Battery SOC & Text.JPG

I've had 3 batteries so far and it still happens. I've not had the instrument cluster refurbed but was looking into it. Had the BCM replaced last year and it seemed to resolve it for a while. It was suggested moisture in the fuse box in the passenger foot well.

56 minutes ago, Neilldia said:

I've not had the instrument cluster refurbed but was looking into it.

Sounds like a job for ..................

......... @rd457 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's apparently a Mk3 one though 😕

I have a 2008 Focus Style 1.6 Diesel which is intermittent.  Sometimes you turn on the ignition and it will turn over, other times it doesn't want to know.  I've replaced the battery, sworn at it, threatened it but no difference.  You can turn the key to start and there's just nothing - no dimming lights or anything.

Anyone have any ideas?

Possible faulty starter solenoid or a poor connection to it.

• 1 month later...

Update 28/3

Still having issues. Doors won't unlock using fob, have to use keyblade. Keyless entry hasn't worked for a while now.

Dash wouldn't come on but car jump started and ran. Next day, dash was fine but climate control wouldn't turn on at all. Next day, climate control was on but power steering was of and was heavy to turn.

Been advised to connect a wire from the 7.5amp fuse direct to the B terminal on the alternator as this is known to high high resisitance. 

Will also check and clean off ground wires and starter solenoid. I have a replacement alternator on order as the battery isn't holding a charge. New battery also coming as jump starting it won't have done any good.

Has anyone actually resolved this? 

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club