Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 2007 Instrument Cluster Repair

Laminator93

Hi All.

My 2007 Ford Focus has recently displayed an engine fault code, stating reduced acceleration. I have had it checked over and have been told that it is the instrument cluster at fault. 

I am really struggling to find anyone that can complete this repair work (other than Ford who want to charge me £120 to re diagnose it before they will even look at it). 

is anyone able to provide some guidance on what my best option is here, as really do need my car to be working again at some point in the near future.

Thanks 

2 hours ago, Laminator93 said:

I am really struggling to find anyone that can complete this repair work

There are a number of companies that have been used by members of the forum mentioned on here. Or you could send @rd457 a message. He repairs/refurbishes instrument clusters for about £90

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unofix said:

He repairs/refurbishes instrument clusters for about £90

I wish, try £56, and that's before eBay fees and includes return postage. (Too much competition on ebay). 😂

Aah okay very interesting. Can I please ask what kind of level of involvement I would need to do with this and ask what exactly it is that you do to fix the issue that I have? Just curious as never had this problem before. Thanks 

Certain cluster models, as detailed in my eBay listing, suffer from a common problem of cracked solder joints on the wiring connector. You remove your instrument cluster (very easy, though requires a certain size of torx screwdriver), you post it to me, I take it apart and resolder the connector, I post it back, you refit it. It's all explained in the eBay listing. You'll find a link to a youtube video within my listing description (made by someone else) with which you can see an example of how to remove it. You can obviously alternatively pay a mechanic take it out, send it to me and put it back in if you wish. You may wonder 'can a mechanic just do the repair?' Mechanics don't tend to have the experience/equipment to do electronics repair work like this themselves. It's a different skill set. Some may be willing to give it a go, some may even be perfectly competent at it, but I've had to fix some pretty shoddy work by some that have tried and made a mess of it.

Certain cluster models, as detailed in my eBay listing, suffer from a common problem of cracked solder joints on the wiring connector. You remove your instrument cluster (very easy, though requires a certain size of torx screwdriver), you post it to me, I take it apart and resolder the connector, I post it back, you refit it. It's all explained in the eBay listing. You'll find a link to a youtube video within my listing description (made by someone else) with which you can see an example of how to remove it. You can obviously alternatively pay a mechanic take it out, send it to me and put it back in if you wish. You may wonder 'can a mechanic just do the repair?' Mechanics don't tend to have the experience/equipment to do electronics repair work like this themselves. It's a different skill set. Some may be willing to give it a go, some may even be perfectly competent at it, but I've had to fix some pretty shoddy work by some that have tried and made a mess of it.

I speak from experience having had this cluster repair done last year. It is daunting for us 'non mechanical' folk at the prospect  of having to remove the instrument cluster to send it for repair, but it is very easy. Just 2 x screws (either a T20 or T25 - I can never remember!), and one single electrical connector.Top tips are to extend the steering wheel as far as it will go, towards you, and also, adjust it down as far as it will go. This will allow access to remove the cluster.

Oh, don't take it near a Ford dealer, they haven't a clue on these matters!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I speak from experience having had this cluster repair done last year. It is daunting for us 'non mechanical' folk at the prospect  of having to remove the instrument cluster to send it for repair, but it is very easy. Just 2 x screws (either a T20 or T25 - I can never remember!), and one single electrical connector.Top tips are to extend the steering wheel as far as it will go, towards you, and also, adjust it down as far as it will go. This will allow access to remove the cluster.

Oh, don't take it near a Ford dealer, they haven't a clue on these matters!

11 hours ago, rd457 said:

Certain cluster models, as detailed in my ebay listing, suffer from a common problem of cracked solder joints on the wiring connector. You remove your instrument cluster (very easy, though requires a certain size of torx screwdriver), you post it to me, I take it apart and resolder the connector, I post it back, you refit it. It's all explained in the ebay listing. You'll find a link to a youtube video within my listing description (made by someone else) with which you can see an example of how to remove it. You can obviously alternatively pay a mechanic take it out, send it to me and put it back in if you wish. You may wonder 'can a mechanic just do the repair?' Mechanics don't tend to have the experience/equipment to do electronics repair work like this themselves. It's a different skill set. Some may be willing to give it a go, some may even be perfectly competent at it, but I've had to fix some pretty shoddy work by some that have tried and made a mess of it.

Thanks both. Really insightful. The only 2 concerns I have are 1. Do I need to do anything in particular once I receive it back to get it working? 2. The guys at Halfords (checked and diagnosed the problem) said that if it was touched by them it would immobilise the car, so can you see any reason why me taking it out would immobilise the car, causing further issues? 

thanks both 

13 minutes ago, Laminator93 said:

Thanks both. Really insightful. The only 2 concerns I have are 1. Do I need to do anything in particular once I receive it back to get it working? 2. The guys at Halfords (checked and diagnosed the problem) said that if it was touched by them it would immobilise the car, so can you see any reason why me taking it out would immobilise the car, causing further issues? 

thanks both 

Car cannot be used without cluster, it will be immobilised. Once fixed, usually a 24 hour turnaround, just plug back in and drive.

• Like 2

Really helpful to know. Thanks. Just need to now look as can guarantee I’ll have every screwdriver other than the one I need haha

Theres a couple of guys down your way Richard Beetwell [Customod} and on Facebook Ollie Jones, both highly recommended in the Mk2 world

1 minute ago, Laminator93 said:

Really helpful to know. Thanks. Just need to now look as can guarantee I’ll have every screwdriver other than the one I need haha

1 * Phillips dont drop the screws down the dash, and a couple of flat knives to release the grip locks at the top carful of cracking the clear plastic screen

24 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

1 * Phillips dont drop the screws down the dash

It's definitely not a Philips, it's a Torx T20 (or T25). The screws are quite long so easy to grip whilst unscrewing so difficult, though I guess not impossible to drop 😂

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

It's definitely not a Philips, it's a Torx T20 (or T25). The screws are quite long so easy to grip whilst unscrewing so difficult, though I guess not impossible to drop 😂

My bad -- apologies. I dropped mine and put phillips back lol

• Haha 1

Great, now I have the panic that I will break my screen haha. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Laminator93 said:

Great, now I have the panic that I will break my screen haha. 

I'm pretty sure he dropped the screw, not the cluster LOL

Let’s hope that’s what it is, as I felt pretty confident half a day ago 😂

Super last thing. T20 or t25. Any ideas which screwdriver I need? I have ordered t20 and just know it will end up being t25 haha.

IMG_6928.jpeg

10 hours ago, Laminator93 said:

Super last thing. T20 or t25. Any ideas which screwdriver I need? I have ordered t20 and just know it will end up being t25 haha.

On watching that YouTube I posted it states a T20, you did watch it, didn't you? 😂

• Haha 1

there's jagged plastic teeth dead centre and its those you need to release so the cluster comes out. I used a flat butter knife and glazing packers as i had some laying around, always do they have a myriad of uses around the house.

3 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

there's jagged plastic teeth dead centre ...

LOL, so you never watched the YouTube either 😂 I used no special tools, a good wiggle ensured the release of mine...

• Like 1

A plastic credit card (old  expired ) was enough to release the centre ‘fir tree’ clip on ours

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

LOL, so you never watched the YouTube either 😂 I used no special tools, a good wiggle ensured the release of mine...

were guys we dont do instruction manuals etc

• Haha 1

For future I did watch the video, but my IC was slightly different, so actually needed the 25! Out now, however unclipping it was not at all straight forward haha. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club