Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alarm / key 'problem'?

Grambo

Hi All.

New member, could do with some advice from people who know the Galaxy!

Just purchased my 7 seat Zetec TDCi Auto 2011. Like it so far. The car only came with 1 key (pain) & no 'fob'. Now, when I unlock with the key and open the drivers door, there’s warning 'beeps' from inside the car, until the key is inserted in the ignition, this then disables the alarm, however, if a passenger opens one of the other doors before the key is inserted, the alarm goes off. Now, this is more of an inconvenience than a problem. Of course, as well, if the alarm is say activated falsely in the middle of the night, I've got to go to the car to silence it! if it's sortable, I'd like it 'sorted'.

Now I'm told it's possible to buy a key fob, have it programmed to the car, and this should enable me to unlock and turn the alarm off before I get to the car. This would be a solution. Would this need to be a Ford dealership job, if it's an option?

The other thing is the car is fitted with a 'detachable' tow bar, but there is no key for the lock, so it can’t  be removed. Now this is a pain! you only need to bash your leg on it once to realise that!  I'd prefer to remove it from the car, but would be a shame to drill the lock if a key can be sourced from somewhere?

Thanks all! Hope there's some advice out there.

Graham

9 minutes ago, Grambo said:

This would be a solution. Would this need to be a Ford dealership job, if it's an option?

Since you have no working keyfob and no way of knowing where and just how many keyfobs are in existence for your Galaxy the best option by far is to go and get one supplied and programmed by a Ford main dealer. They will also delete all other keyfobs from the vehicles memory so that they will no longer work. The cost is usually £198 inc VAT. That might seem a lot, but is actually cheaper than the likes of Timpsons, who normally just clone an existing keyfob.

The Ford dealer can also probably order you a replacement key for the towbar, or use an independent locksmith who will be able to remove it (about £70).

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply, very helpful! Looks like I'm off to Fords for a fob! Cheers

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club