Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sync V3 update help required.

Loughlini

I have a Focus (2019) with Sync v3.3.18351. According to the Ford Sync website there is an update to v3.4.23188 which I have unsuccessfully tried to update via USB. When I plug the USB stick into the USB socket it displays a LST_ERR05 message and instructs me to download the file again and retry. I've now done this several times. It also says there should be 15 files, I only have 9 zip files in 'SyncMyRide'.

Questions:

Do I have to extract the 9 zip files in SyncMyRide or leave them zipped?

Should there be 9 or 15 files?

Does anyone have a clear set of instructions to update Sync v3? There seems to be some inconsistencies with the Ford website instructions.

Is it possible to update Sync v3 via WiFi? On the website it says V4 onwards can be updated over WiFi, yet elsewhere it gives instructions to update v3 by WiFi. That doesn't work for me either. Do I have to login to FordPass or whatever to use the WiFi route?

Having selected the USB route of updating, I download the main update file to my Downloads area on my PC. I then copy that file to my USB stick and extract the three folders viz: • A folder with the title “SyncMyRide” • One file “autoinstall.lst” • One file “DONTINDX.MSA”. Should I download the file from the website directly onto my USB stick to start with? I'm not sure what it means by 'root directory'. I preformatted the stick to exFAT before starting and the three above files are listed under /D:  Is that the root directory?

I'm sure that updating the Sync software ought to be a simple operation but I'm just going round in circles with it.

Any help appreciated.

Don’t extract the files in Syncmyride folder. 

15 files is only for map updates. 

Can you post screenshots of the contents of the USB in windows file explorer

• Like 1

I've previously downloaded the file and successfully updated mine from Ford UK. Without being rude, just check through your steps slowly. 

I formatted a clean USB drive to exFat.  I downloaded the files from Ford to my PC and extracted them direct from PC writing to the USB. It creates the files and Sync folder in root. The Ford update process unpacks the files then as it updates in the car 

I did mine using the USB method. Even though my car connects to my home WiFi with a good signal, WiFi didnt work 

The install takes forever.  A good 2 hours plus for me.  There's no progress indicator after it starts.  Went for a 45 min drive and then a further hour and a half on the driveway.  Engine running, 30 mins engine shutdown disabled.

Even after it appears finished, 2 or more reboots if I remember, leave it.  It has to write a further file to be successfully installed.  I installed maps and Sync update, sure it was something like 28gb.

Sorry I can't troubleshoot your issue but the update should work.  However, Google your issues and you will see others have similar problems.  A lack of progress indicator is a pain as it looks like it's stalled when it is installing. 

• Like 1

Hi this is what I currently have on my USB stick. Unfortunately I have unzipped all the files in SyncMyRide. As per the above reply I will do it all again but without extracting those files and will leave them zipped. Doubt if I have a 2 hour journey coming up. Seems an odd way to do a software update.

image.thumb.png.a73c0fcae2e783288437b2e611ee1122.png

It should only take 45mins to an hour to do the software update.

The map update can take 2 hrs though.

If you unzipped the files in Syncmyride, that will be a problem, the autoinstall file couldn't find the zips.

• Like 1

OK gotcha. I have now re-copied the update file to the stick but not unzipped them. SyncMyRide now contains 9 unzipped files (plus the two other files). Let's see how that goes. Thanks for your help.

image.thumb.png.0464f420d78de92df16bd76eb68a27c5.png

• Like 1

Hopefully will work.  Note at the very end there is a file written back to the USB that you upload to Ford. This updates the record held for your car. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Loughlini said:

SyncMyRide now contains 9 unzipped files (plus the two other files)

That is correct, should install without a problem. Just remember do not remove the USB until you get a final message telling you that it can be removed.

• Like 1

Did this get resolved?

• Like 1

Ha, I haven't done a 45 minute drive yet. I hope to do this over the Easter w/end. Would be handy if there was a USB 'maintenance socket' under the bonnet so we could update the software in our driveway. I will post results in due course. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it seems like we have made some progress. I have now updated SYNC to v3.4_23188 during a run to Southport. The software update took 35 minutes plus perhaps another 10 minutes for the reboot(s) and writing the log file to my USB stick. The language set itself to French after the update so I could not accurately read the completion instructions however it all seems to have worked. The clock reset itself to GMT so I had to update the time to BST.

Back on the Ford website I uploaded the log file and it told me that there is a new MAP update available. (This was the whole point of the exercise). I opted for WiFi since my router provides a strong WiFi signal on my driveway. It says that my vehicle does not have to be running for the update to occur (it runs in the background). I hope this is correct since I have now switched off my ignition and locked it up. I will check on progress after a couple of hours. If, infact, WiFI has not worked then I'll have to go via the USB route again which means a 2 hour drive.

Sounds like things are moving on then.  Good luck.  As there is no progress indicator in the car, you might be able to look on your WiFi router logs to see if your car is connected and downloading. 

• Like 1

Hi it's me again. Seem to be moving forward but some confusion exists.

I tried to update my MAPS via WiFi just to see if it would work. On my car's Sync screen it now says that my maps have been updated to F12 (from F8). However there was no completion notice and if I go to the Ford Sync website it still says that a MAP update is available for my car so maybe it didn't fully complete.

I'm now going to try to update the maps by USB. I have downloaded the USB file and extracted the files to a USB stick. However there are only two files instead of three. DONTINDX.MSA is not present on the downloaded file. In SYncMyRide there are 18 zipped files. (Plus autoinstall.lst on the stick).

Do I need DONTINDX.msa?

Just need to schedule a 2 hour drive now to do the USB update.

The plot thickens....

ps: If I look at my Sync screen it says it is still downloading a map update but seems to be stuck at about 20%. This could be my finger trouble. When I saw that I didn't get an update completed notification I went back to the Ford website and clicked the "Update by WiFi" button again so perhaps it's trying to download the map a second time.

DONTINDX, is as the name suggests a file to tell Sync not to try and Index the USB.

It's not important and won't stop the update.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

DONTINDX.msa - just googled it. Don't need this file for a maps update. Ha, just saw the above response. Thanks.

Edited by Loughlini

OK one last try. I have tried to update my maps via WiFi but it's taking far too long (3 days). How do I cancel the WiFi download operation? I am going to retry via the USB route. Do I need to perform a Master Reset to clear cache? If I go to General Settings the Master Reset button is (greyed-out) indicating that it cannot be used.

Incidentally as I mentioned earlier my Sync display shows that my maps have been updated from F8 to F12. I don't know how that happened. If I go to the Ford Sync downloads webpage it shows that I have a maps update available so the maps updated process did not complete properly (it should have updated my VIN record to show that my maps are now up to date.

As a retired IT systems engineer I regard this as a personal challenge to complete the update task.

The map update is multiple files (to cover different countries), but the system info will say the version of just the first file.

• Like 1

I have finally updated my Maps to F12 using WiFi however it has not apparently sent a notification to the FMC Sync website to tell it that my Maps have been updated (unless this notification process step is very slow).

I therefore ran the little utility (elsewhere on the forum) to create an xml file on a USB stick. That all went well and I now have an xml file to upload.

When I try to access the website to upload the xml file it says "Site can't be reached" so I cannot upload the file.

Has the website address been changed or is there some other way of notifying FMC about my Maps update?

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/ sync-bluetooth/update#/   is the website quoted in the instructions to upload the xml file.

36 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Thanks but that site is where you get the downloads from. There is no facility to upload the xml log file (unless I'm missing something).  Ta.

Go through the bit about how you want to install the update again and upload the confirmation at this section

image.thumb.png.feed0483ac564eca970fcbdeadea64ce.png

• Like 2

Brilliant, that worked. I did not click on the WiFi/USB method since I didn't want to initiate a new download. I updated my Maps via WiFi so there is no confirmation button since that is supposedly done automatically over WiFi at the completion of the update. However that was 3 days ago so I assumed the logfile had not been sent to FMC.

I used the small utility to create a log file (from this forum) onto a USB stick.  Then I clicked on the USB download method and lo and behold the confirmation button was there. So I was able to upload the xml logfile to the FMC website. That seemed to work quite quickly.

I now just need the FMC Sync servers to process my logfile and update my page to show that Maps are up to date and there is no new download pending. Some others have said that processing might take a while.

Fingers crossed, this might be an end to the saga. Thanks for everybody's help.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club