Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do I have DRL or not?! Please help!! MOT fail

wordsworth

Sorry, I know this topic has come up before but I'm going mad here...

My Ford Focus Estate diesel Zetec was registered March 2018 and there's a mention of daylight running lamps in the manual. I don't have an 'auto lights' option on the dash, and settings don't give lights as an option at all. And I've just failed the MOT because the DRLs I never knew I had are not working.

I can't see anything from outside that looks anything like extra lights, there's no way of turning the dipped beams onto auto, the 'lights working' light comes on on the dash - how can I prove whether I've even got DRLs  and get them replaced or repaired if I can't even see them?

Please help - I need the MOT urgently...

PS I've only had the car less than a year and it didn't previously fail on daylight running so they must have worked before. I've replaced one dipped beam headlamp at Kwik Fit so surely they wouldn't have let me go without checking, if the DRLs are part of the main headlamp??

• Sad 1

DRLs became mandatory in all cars registered in UK from 2011. They are totally automatic in all cars and come on when the ignition is turned on. If no lights display at the front of your car when you start it - you have faulty DRLs...

After a quick Google, I believe your headlights have a built in LED strip which acts as a DRL, these are usually not user replaceable, and need a replacement headlamp, something like this. Though unusual for both sides to go faulty at same time, may be an electrical fault which a local trusted garage may advise on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wordsworth said:

I've replaced one dipped beam headlamp at Kwik Fit so surely they wouldn't have let me go without checking, if the DRLs are part of the main headlamp??

Oh yes they would if they didn't have the correct part in stock. They would be happy to make a sale and send you on your way !!

As Stephen has said your car most definitely should have working DRL's. There is no switch for them, they simply come on automatically each time you start you car. They then either 'dim' or switch 'off' (depending on the model) when the dipped headlights are turned on.

If an incorrect headlight has been fitted then it is possible that the 'Body Control Module' (BCM) may have turned off the remaining working DRL if it has detected a fault. You are going to have to use a Ford main dealer or a good auto-electrician to find out what the issue is. Of course if you want to do some investigative work yourself then get a laptop and the software FORScan and it will probably have the diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) to point you in the right direction.

• Like 2

Unplug the headlight that was replaced and see if the other headlight drl works after. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, iantt said:

Unplug the headlight that was replaced and see if the other headlight drl works after. 

Good thinking Batman 👍

11 minutes ago, unofix said:

Good thinking Batman 👍

Maybe not. Re reading his initial post it sounds like just the bulb was changed and not the headlight assy. 

• Sad 1

If this is a late Mk3.5, I wonder if it got away without DRL's?  Often these things go on type approval, which is why Ford heavily facelift a car instead of making a 'new' one.

If the OP can post a picture of their headlights, we should be able to confirm whether DRLs are fitted or not.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

If the OP can post a picture of their headlights, we should be able to confirm whether DRLs are fitted or not.

For someone in a mild panic 5 hours ago, she's been awfully quiet 🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

For someone in a mild panic 5 hours ago, she's been awfully quiet

Panic moves at a much slower pace in Gloucestershire 🤣

• Haha 1

Not all Mk3.5s had DRLs especially base and Zetec

As @TomsFocus says, post a picture of your H/Lamps 🤭

Surely the central MOT database will have identified the car correctly, and not allowed a failure for something the car isn't fitted with?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Surely the central MOT database will have identified the car correctly, and not allowed a failure for something the car isn't fitted with?

If he/she looked at it

I've had cars failed for things that aren't failures before.  Tester always argues that they must be right as well.  :rolleyes: 

I do feel sorry for people that just take an MOT at face value without knowing what should or shouldn't fail on their car.

1 hour ago, DaveT70 said:

If he/she looked at it

I'm not sure I understand. Here (In NI), when the tester enter the car reg. into the MOT computer, it loads the specs for that car, it's not for the benefit for the customer...  Is yours different?

Interesting one. Gov.UK says:

Vehicle manufacturers must fit DRL to new types of passenger car and light goods vehicle (car derived vans) type approved to European vehicle requirements from February 2011. In practice this means that any new model launched after this date, and many launched before, will be fitted with DRL. However, existing models on sale before this date without DRL fitted can continue to be sold and used indefinitely.

I think production for Europe started late 2010, but you would have thought DRLs would have been fitted in view of the imminent legislation?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

but you would have thought DRLs would have been fitted in view of the imminent legislation

Cost

• Like 1

This is on the Ford website and ties in with Gov.Uk. A quick trawl of the forum brings up earlier threads where people are wanting to fit them to Mk 3s, so they can't have been standard fit from launch. (eg: https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/97681-drls-on-mk-3-focus/)

Presumably the facelift wouldn't count as a new model and thus won't have had to go through Type Approval.

Daytime Running Lights

Daytime running lights (DRL) are designed to come on automatically when the engine is started - all other lights should remain off.

The requirement to have DRL only applies to new models of passenger cars and small delivery vans that go through the European whole vehicle type approval process after Febuary 2011.

I read something recently about a load of Mustangs being rushed through production in the mid '60s to beat the mandatory seatbelt regs...  So it seems Ford have been more interested in cost than safety for a while.

FWIW, I had 2 Mk3's without DRLs (2012 & 2013) and there are Mk3.5 headlights without DRL's in the parts catalogue.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

..  So it seems Ford have been more interested in cost than safety for a while.

I'm shocked...😂

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

and there are Mk3.5 headlights without DRL's in the parts catalogue.

Yes, base models and Zetec & Titanium less appearance pack did not have DRLs (and, I believe, ST1s)

Zetec-S, ST-Line, Titanium X and ST2 & 3 had them from 2011, Titanium had them from 17MY (With Sync3)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are we opening a book yet on whether the OP will return to us?? 😂

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Are we opening a book yet on whether the OP will return to us?? 😂

Yeah, we've all got to stop jumping in on these OPWs😁

• Like 2

Yep, OP not been back since one hour after posting🤥

I FEEL SO USED!!!!

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club