Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Titanium Mk3 Sony DAB+ Radio replacement

Reel Spike

Hi,

I have a UK 61 plate Ford Focus Mk3 Titanium with the Sony radio ('Infotainment' I think?)  

It has the annoying thing with the DAB+ stations, where the radio only seems to tune into the first 10 or so stations it picks up on a 'multiplex' (if that's the right word) - even if you set a station as a pre-set!).  

So, for example, I have Radio X set as pre-set 1.  Sometimes it will say 'No Reception' but another station in that group will work (like Heart 80s).   I then tune out to another multiplex (local Heart, for example) and then go back to Pre-set 1 and Radio X will work.  Sometimes I have to do this several times for it to connect to that station.

Anyway - as it's the only thing that's 'wrong' with the car, I was looking to see if I could replace the Sony radio with a new radio that works better with DAB+ and maybe has a few more features.

Looking online, there seems to be a few aftermarket radios that offer this with Apple Car Play (I have an iPhone) and add other features such as sat nav.  Some videos I found online show the other style Ford radio being upgraded to these (Sync?) but not really seen any vids of the Sony being replaced.

My questions are, has anyone ever done this successfully (changing from a Sony DAB+ to an aftermarket)?  Are they as good as they sound? Are there any drawbacks to them?

Also - any recommendations for a supplier/make/model in the UK?

Thanks 🙂

• Sad 1

It's not the radio that is the problem, it is the aerial.

Most probably on your model it is using the heated rear screen for the DAB radio aerial. If that is the case then there is an aerial amplifier/isolator unit fitted in the top edge of the tailgate. These are a common failure.

mmm... there may also be an issue that DAB+ wasn't launched in the UK till 2016, so highly unlikely a 2011 car would be getting it 😁 You'll likely be on the old, 'DAB' format, which now has much fewer stations broadcasting..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

there may also be an issue that DAB+ wasn't launched in the UK till 2016, so highly unlikely a 2011 car would be getting it 😁 You'll likely be on the old, 'DAB' format, which now has much fewer stations broadcasting..

Well spotted @StephenFord, you're correct, the car can't have DAB+ so that would most probably account for the fewer stations.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club