Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Strip Boot Mk1 Focus

JadeFox

Hey all

Ive finally got some time off and ive been killing to do some much needed repairs to my mk1 X-reg focus. Ive fixed the pasenger side front door this morning what a pain that was! but hey now the central locking works 100% once again!

Im now trying to fix my boot, it was unlocking at random times whilst driving, at first i thought i opened it by accident but it got more and more frequent, eventually my mechanic unplugged it. I want to plug it back in and have 2 questions for you:

1: How do i take the trim off, i have found 4 screw, taken them out, unclipped two clips but it seems to be still held from behind the number plate, any ideas?

2: ive been discussing this and have a feeling it could be a bad earth, how would i find where this is earthed and how could i test it? (resistance test?)

Thanks in advanced!

Hey all

Ive finally got some time off and ive been killing to do some much needed repairs to my mk1 X-reg focus. Ive fixed the pasenger side front door this morning what a pain that was! but hey now the central locking works 100% once again!

Im now trying to fix my boot, it was unlocking at random times whilst driving, at first i thought i opened it by accident but it got more and more frequent, eventually my mechanic unplugged it. I want to plug it back in and have 2 questions for you:

1: How do i take the trim off, i have found 4 screw, taken them out, unclipped two clips but it seems to be still held from behind the number plate, any ideas?

2: ive been discussing this and have a feeling it could be a bad earth, how would i find where this is earthed and how could i test it? (resistance test?)

Thanks in advanced!

the trim isnt held on by anything else there are 6 metal clips that clip the trim to the metal takes a bit of force but if you start at one end it will come off the boot earth will be obvious without testing it would be dirty rusty etc may just need cleaned up

Well ive got the trim off but cant really see where it is earthed to, after some thinking isn't it earthed to the battery? i.e. neg terminal?, the hayne's manual isnt much help either, had to swing on the bugger till it came off :D

ive plugged it back in as all the mechanic did was to unplug it, I will wait till it starts playing up again and report back for possible help unless anyone has had experience of this. I did have a look at the wiring earlier, from the car to boot is a protective plastic and rubber sleeve but this seems ok from what i can see so far other than some genius has put some kind of sharp platic edge point onto one of the plastic entry holes into the car from boot which appears to really forcefully wedging itself into the wiring!

boot opening is a common problem ...mine always used to do it until i pressed the dash button a few times then sprayed with cleaner ,problem solved, it seems that the button sometimes gets stuck