Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Focus Owner! A Few Questions!

SeanyK

Hi Folks,

I picked up a Focus 2L Zetec today (2001 model) obviously with it being an older car I checked for the usual faults etc.

Anyway, few things standing out for me which just need a little help if possible;

1) The steering wheel has a bit of 'play' in it, I don't mean when steering left to right, I just mean if you get in the car and put your hands behind the steering wheel, pull it towards you and you can almost 'rock' it from side to side slightly, almost as if it isn't tightened up fully? Basically best example is, its like a wheel jacked up, with 4 bolts, but 1 is loose and the other 3 are tight, so it has a small amount of movement.

I had a look at the 2 screws underneath for the cowling, but they do not appear to make any difference - any ideas?

2) The central locking works fine, but I discovered this connector under the drivers side dash;

8999f1ae.jpg

It is not plugged in anywhere, should it be?

3) It came with 2 Black keys, one is a remote, it also came with a smaller 'black top' key, and a small metal key - I take it this is the usual amount of spare/keys needed for the car?

4) I will be changing the air, pollen filters, along with spark plugs myself, but I suspect the cam belt (+tensioners etc) needs doing (55k but 10 year old car), so will probably ring around for that, whats the general consensus, change the water pump at the same time?

Other than that, seems a nice little car, from low revs I can hear a 'grinding' when I put my foot down but it sounds like the engine, only when accelerating at low speeds, and to be honest, i've never owned a Ford so it's probably a normal sound!

Kind regards

cant help on rest but for 4)

i got my timing belt kit done from jenning ford in washington (near gateshead) for around £240 iirc. as for the water pump they just listen for any noises, look for any leaks and play and replace if neccessary.

they change everything else though, like pully, bolts, belt and tensioner.

i say rule of thumb, if in doubt get the timing belt done asap...especially since yours in 10 years old.

hope this gets you close to what your looking for.

Certainly no expert on the early focus,

1) The steering wheel has a bit of 'play' in it, I don't mean when steering left to right, I just mean if you get in the car and put your hands behind the steering wheel, pull it towards you and you can almost 'rock' it from side to side slightly, almost as if it isn't tightened up fully? Basically best example is, its like a wheel jacked up, with 4 bolts, but 1 is loose and the other 3 are tight, so it has a small amount of movement.

I had a look at the 2 screws underneath for the cowling, but they do not appear to make any difference - any ideas?

could be a worn rod as I have read other places on this forum, I think Mintalkin knows more about these, so maybe he could jump on board.

2) The central locking works fine, but I discovered this connector under the drivers side dash;

8999f1ae.jpg

It is not plugged in anywhere, should it be?

Unfortunately I cant see the picture (lowsy firewalls at work!) I think I had this on my Focus though, so it wouldnt surprise me, I think its a connector for the steering controls, but without seeing the pictire cant be entirely sure.

3) It came with 2 Black keys, one is a remote, it also came with a smaller 'black top' key, and a small metal key - I take it this is the usual amount of spare/keys needed for the car?

Two black keys yes, you get the remote, and the bog standard key, the small metal key, I believe could well be the programming key, doesnt this have either a red chip, or is it coloured red in any way? you will probably need this if you decide to reprogramme any keys in future.

4) I will be changing the air, pollen filters, along with spark plugs myself, but I suspect the cam belt (+tensioners etc) needs doing (55k but 10 year old car), so will probably ring around for that, whats the general consensus, change the water pump at the same time?

John H answered this, I dont think there is anything else to add! :)

Other than that, seems a nice little car, from low revs I can hear a 'grinding' when I put my foot down but it sounds like the engine, only when accelerating at low speeds, and to be honest, i've never owned a Ford so it's probably a normal sound!

Kind regards

As for the noise, probably going to need a better oil in the car, check the oil, and make sure the car gets a full decent service, I would say drain and replace filters, oils, and fluids. comes at a fair cost (up to £100) but its worth it for the peace of mind. you may find that in the sump you have a load of buildup of crap.

Hi guys,

Many thanks for this, i've booked the car in this week to have a cam belt & all the tensioners etc changed, along with an oil change and to have a good look around the car / check out the steering.

Kwik Fit said it could be rod ends, whereas local mechanic has said it sounds more like the wheel just needs tightening onto the column - obviously will need to check.

(Im too scared to take the wheel off myself lol)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club