Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alternator - Urgent Advice Requested

rick1836

Hi,

Have just fitted a new thermostat - what a drama (belts and alternators needed to come off).

Everything has gone back on ok but prior to refilling with coolant and reconnecting the battery I have noticed a loose wire!!

When removing the alternator I took off two connections - one with a 10mm bolt (at the front) and the other was a plug type thing on the top. Both have been put back in, but my question is on the plug connector lead, about 12-24 inches back (on the lead) there is another connector, I'm not sure what this is, i didn't unplug it from anything but it could have come loose when I was dismantling (it could also have already been loose)???

Any advice would be appreciated.....many Thanks

Yes....It is a single black wire with a 'L shaped' plastic boot on the end with a copper type connector inside.

This lead feeds off the alternator lead.

Any ideas would be great, I dont have a haynes just a TIS and I cant find it on there....

Thanks

Yes....It is a single black wire with a 'L shaped' plastic boot on the end with a copper type connector inside.

This lead feeds off the alternator lead.

Any ideas would be great, I dont have a haynes just a TIS and I cant find it on there....

Thanks

it sounds like it could be an earth connection to me

Will I need to earth it to something??

if you can have a look at the area around where the connector can reach, possibly for a spade type connector.

Thanks mate....I'll take a good look and see whats there!

Thanks mate....I'll take a good look and see whats there!

is it possible that its never been connected? have you got any warning lights or any other signs of an issue?

I havent re connected the battery yet - I was thinking of just giving it a go with it off (whatever it is????).

I didnt unplug it but it could have been pulled out (unbeknown to me) when I pulled out the other plug (as it is joined).

I'll give it a try - fingers crossed!

Good news is the 'loose connector' hasn't made any difference....at least know i'll be able to drive somewheee to get a second opinion if I need one!

Just filling the antifreeze now and I can only get in 4.5 litres and that is with it overflowing....doesnt seem to be getting through the system. (Over 5.5 was drained earlier)

I'm getting hot and cold air through the heaters.

gauge only goes up to half way.

Fan not kicking in at all.

when the engine is running, keep squeezing the pipes and see if you can push out any trapped air

make sure you have the hot air on and blower on 1 or 2 speed , job is not done until the cooling fan comes on either !

make sure you have the hot air on and blower on 1 or 2 speed , job is not done until the cooling fan comes on either !

with the heater on hot and fan running it could be difficult to get the radiator fan on also, especially at this time of year.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club