Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto Fold Mirrors

Muskydo

Hi everyone,

I've had my Mk6 Zetec climate for about 6 weeks now, really getting to love it, the only problem that is bothering me is the auto fold door mirrors. When the car is set to lock and the mirrors fold automatically they fold in as they should,but then they appear to want to fold further than possible and a clicking gear type noise can be heard. I haven't had the opportunity to look further into this yet but judging by the noise they make I'd better look sooner rather than later. Any ideas what this could be and how to resolve this.

Cheers

Steve

if its making a clicking noise then i would turn of the folding mirrors on the computer if possible to stop any further damage i know you can do this on a mk7 not sure aout the mk6

My MK6 did it as well.It was on the passenger side.I left it alone and it done no harm.There is an old thread on here about it because others was saying the same thing.You can take it back to ford and they will replace the whole mirror but I could not be bothered as it was a minor thing.If you was to try other MK6's I bet some of them would do the same thing.On my MK7 one of the mirrors will sometimes make a little squeal noise as it closes. :)

The folding mirrors on the Fiesta Mk6 are knackered.

They are inherently broken, and towards the end of its life cycle they were unavailable (and people got Sony radios in exchange).

There is no fix, Ford used to replace the mirrors, but the same happens again inevitably.

How funny.We cannot fix your mirror but here is a new radio instead of the one that already works.Mine was only a year old when it started doing it but it never bothered me.

Wow thanks for the replies, got to admit it's not what I expected to hear though, I thought it would be something real simple, but knackered and not repairable is a tough pill to swallow. I noticed it when I bought the car but never made a fuss about it as I thought it would be no problmo. Going back to the dealer is not an option as they are 200 miles away and not practical! Will try my local Ford dealer on the weekend and see if there are other options available. watch this space......

Cheers

Steve

How funny.We cannot fix your mirror but here is a new radio instead of the one that already works.Mine was only a year old when it started doing it but it never bothered me.

No, this was for new car orders. People who bought the tech pack/climate pack in the latter years of the MK6 had the mirrors swapped to MANUAL (lol, not even electric/heated) and a Sony headunit fitted. lol.

Wow thanks for the replies, got to admit it's not what I expected to hear though, I thought it would be something real simple, but knackered and not repairable is a tough pill to swallow. I noticed it when I bought the car but never made a fuss about it as I thought it would be no problmo. Going back to the dealer is not an option as they are 200 miles away and not practical! Will try my local Ford dealer on the weekend and see if there are other options available. watch this space......

Cheers

Steve

I don't think they ever reestablished a contract with the supplier of the mirror motors, so it's unlikely they'll even be able to sell you a new wing mirror. I think most dealers replace them with heated/electric or simple tell you to deal with it.

My mums 2007 fiesta zetec had this problem with one of the mirrors and she got the mirror unit replaced under warranty. No problems since. I would be hesitant of using the fold function while it is making this noise.

Good luck with trying to find a solution!

Dealer warranty is not an option now, so if Ford can't do anything to fix the problem I may just disable the function and look out on eBay for replacements.

Cheers

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Typical - I go and add my bit saying that the mirror was replaced under warranty and no problems since AND THEN today the driver side mirror has gone and done the same thing

Ford are to phone me tomorrow with a price but can anyone tell me how to unprogramme the car for now for the autofold function as I don't want the mirrors going in.

I have locked the car manually with the key in the door and mirrors don't fold but wonder if I can programme it so I can still lock and unlock with the remote?

Can anyone help with deactivating the auto fold option? The only information I have found so far isn't very promising, the settings menu does not have it.

Ford have quoted £223.50 plus vat for new mirror fitted with £40 to deduct if the current cover can be used!

My concern is that the passenger side already was replaced three years ago when the car was 2 years old - will it go next??

I have found this information on another forum and thought I would add it as it might be useful for others - I have not tried it yet, hopefully I will get a chance at the weekend(weather permitting!)

This might manage to reset the mirror and stop the clicking

take off the mirror control panel

disconnect the loom

set the mirror all the way forward to the front on the car

lock the car then plug the loom back in

the mirror should then fold all the way in

disconnect the loom and unlock the car then fold the mirror all the way forward again

lock the car and reconnect the loom

this time the mirror will only come to the normal open position

disconnect the loom again

unlock the car

fold the mirror in to the closed position

reconnect the loom

lock the car

the motor will then catch up with the mirror position and should be back to normal when you unlock the car and then lock it again no clicking on close you may need to play around with the sequence a bit to get yours right the first time"

• Like 3

I'll have to try this as soon as weather allows, I haven't had chance to look into the problem yet, but I find it hard to believe it's not fixable so if you get chance to try this fix before me then please let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Steve

Weather conditions were such that I had a go today at sorting the mirror!

I am pleased to report that at the moment the auto fold function is back to normal and the driver mirror is behaving as it should with no clicking!

Fingers crossed it stays that way and it is not just a temporary fix.

• 1 year later...

My questions are:

1: where is the mirror control panel, i thought it was the trim behind the mirror when the control stick is, im not so sure now.

2: What is a loom? what does it look like?

I'd love to get this fixed, if I cant fix it myself ill just live with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Shaz44733 thanks for instructions.

Last month my driver side wing started clicking and commonly I was also waiting for the weather to improve.

This does work I opened the mirror control panel and after few attempts of disconnecting and unfolding the clicking stopped.

Carl, the mirror control panel is on the driver side door with the joy stick. That panel comes off without any screws.

Loop is basically connection and wires. You will see only one connection.

If u need help info let me know

• 1 month later...

I have found this information on another forum and thought I would add it as it might be useful for others - I have not tried it yet, hopefully I will get a chance at the weekend(weather permitting!)

This might manage to reset the mirror and stop the clicking

take off the mirror control panel

disconnect the loom

set the mirror all the way forward to the front on the car

lock the car then plug the loom back in

the mirror should then fold all the way in

disconnect the loom and unlock the car then fold the mirror all the way forward again

lock the car and reconnect the loom

this time the mirror will only come to the normal open position

disconnect the loom again

unlock the car

fold the mirror in to the closed position

reconnect the loom

lock the car

the motor will then catch up with the mirror position and should be back to normal when you unlock the car and then lock it again no clicking on close you may need to play around with the sequence a bit to get yours right the first time"

I know this might be opening a new forum BUT I just wanted to say this work fantastic! I've just done this on my mums Mk6.5 Fiesta. Thanks so much!

• 4 months later...

The reset worked for my drivers mirror. A great post Mark (1.6d 08)

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

i have this problem on my 1.4 tdci ,my son knocked the mirror been clicking ever since.I wll try the solution given when possible and come back to tell my result.walesy3.

when you say push the mirror forward is this past the normal open position.walesy3.

• 2 weeks later...

i was thinking of adding this to my zetec climate 2005 mk6,but thinking twice now.

yunii

• 2 weeks later...

I have found this information on another forum and thought I would add it as it might be useful for others - I have not tried it yet, hopefully I will get a chance at the weekend(weather permitting!)This might manage to reset the mirror and stop the clickingtake off the mirror control paneldisconnect the loomset the mirror all the way forward to the front on the carlock the car then plug the loom back inthe mirror should then fold all the way indisconnect the loom and unlock the car then fold the mirror all the way forward againlock the car and reconnect the loomthis time the mirror will only come to the normal open positiondisconnect the loom againunlock the carfold the mirror in to the closed positionreconnect the loomlock the carthe motor will then catch up with the mirror position and should be back to normal when you unlock the car and then lock it again no clicking on close you may need to play around with the sequence a bit to get yours right the first time"

I have the same problem with my passenger side mirror , i read this & thought i'd try it , i took off mirror control panel , disconnected loom , set my mirror all the way forward towards the front of the car , locked the car & plugged the loom back in , the mirror then folded back towards the passenger door a little fraction then stopped ??? You say it should fold all the way back in ??? I carried doing everything that you've said & it's still not fixed , has anyone else experienced the same as i have ??? , I'm talking about my 2007 fiesta tdci

Went like... uncover loom joint ( in the triangle bit of door) Push mirror to open position..not forcing anything..key was in off pos. also loom seperated. So mirror is now in the usual driving pos. Plug in loom.. car on using remote key. Switch off. Unplug loom. Pull mirror to closed position. Switch on again. Be amazed already ....or if not try again. There is no need to force anything. Send money to frund at..........

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club