Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Engine Malfunction Light

Makf2000

Bought a Focus 1.6 TDCI 2008 last week, bad news the engine malfunction light came on ,no idea what it could be as I never owned ford.

you need to get the code read then post it here someone will help

Or read it yourself, its in the guides section "dashboard trick"

• 3 weeks later...

How do you read from dashboard

From Ford Wiki --

Applicability

This is for the MK3 Mondeo but will also work on the Focus (Mk1 and Mk2) and most other Ford vehicles with a digital trip meter.

Entering Self-Diagnostic Mode

To enter the instrument cluster Self-Diagnostic Mode simultaneously press and hold the tripmeter reset button and turn the ignition switch to position II.

When tESt is displayed in the LCD release the button.

The instrument cluster will enter the gauge sweep test.

To navigate through the Self-Diagnostic Mode tests press the tripmeter RESET button repeatedly as required.

The self-test is deactivated when the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position or when the tripmeter reset button is pressed and held for 5 seconds.

Available information

Your car may differ from these slightly in content and sequence:

• Gauge test
  • All LCD are illuminated
  • Indicator bulbs
  • ROM level (r----)
  • NVM (EEPROM) level (Er----) - this (e.g. Er0206) is often mistakenly assumed to be an error code!
  • DTC revision level (dtC985)
  • DTC. The DTCs stored will be displayed. The DTC codes will scroll through if there is more than one, or "nOnE" if there are none. See below for interpretation.
  • Road speed mph (SP----)
  • Road speed km/h (SP----)
  • Averaged speed, some sort of hex reading (S60---), probably not useful to the end user.
  • Engine speed rpm (TA----)
  • Averaged tacho signal, some sort of hex reading (T60---), probably not useful to the end user.
  • Odometer counter (od ---)
  • Fuel level sensor (F ---, 010 (empty) - 254 (full))
  • Averaged fuel level (F60---, range as above)
  • Fuel flow rate (FL --, hex counter)
  • Fuel percentage/remaining? Hex? (FP --)
  • Cylinder head temperature (---C)
  • battery voltage (bAt---)

There are many other pieces of information not of interest to the end user, but you'll eventually get back round to the gauge sweep.

Cluster DTCs

To read the full range of codes, you'll need a dedicated fault code reader plugged into the diagnostic port. Some codes are available via the cluster, listed under the DTC entry described above. These are:

• 115A (P115A) Low Fuel Level - Forced Limited Power
  • 115B (P115B) Low Fuel Level - Forced Engine Shutdown
  • 9202 (B1202) Fuel pump and sender unit/fuel level sensor open circuit
  • 9204 (B1204) Fuel pump and sender unit/fuel level sensor short to ground
  • 9317 (B1317) battery voltage high (greater than 16V)
  • 9318 (B1318) battery voltage low (less than 10V)
  • 9342 (B1342) PCM is defective
  • 9342 (B1342) Odometer RESET button sticking
  • 9342 (B1342) Trip computer SET button sticking
  • 9342 (B1342) NVM memory failure
  • A286 (B2286) MODE switch sticking
  • 9359 (B1359) Ignition run/accessory circuit failure
  • A477 (B2477) Module configuration failure
  • D262 (U1262) Communication bus fault (missing CAN messages)
  • E196 (U2196) Invalid data for engine RPM (Invalid CAN message)
  • E197 (U2197) Invalid data for vehicle speed (Invalid CAN message)
  • E198 (U2198) Invalid data for fuel pulse (Invalid CAN message)
  • E199 (U2199) Invalid data for engine coolant temperature (Invalid CAN message)
  • E200 (U2200) Invalid data for odometer (Invalid CAN message)
  • E201 (U2201) Invalid data for ambient temperature (Invalid CAN message)

Wow, Just rechecked and realised I'm cross posting in the same thread started twice.

My head hurts :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I've just had the same problem, and after taking my Focus 2.0tdci to a Ford dealer they told me it was a faulty crank sensor i had that changed, however after 2 days the fault returned. it turned out to be a cracked fuse box lid, water had got in and damaged a couple off relays and water in the connection block were the loom fits to the fuse box, dried out and all now is ok. hope this helps someone

:)

Hey guys I went through self diagnose on the dashboard it's coming DTC D900 any clue guys

Also when going uphill no power at all

• 2 years later...

Hi, my focus CC3 2.0 Tdci, Went to start car tonight at work so could put roof down, (really nice and sunny), had message on dash stating Engine Malfunction, but no other lights showing up, turn engine off and went back to work, came out 20mins later and started the car, engine ran very well but massage reappeared Engine Malfunction. So turn off ignition and call AA, 1 hour later turn up and plug in his reader, guess what, No code found, after clearing the message he told me to take it for a quick trip around the block, all ok again, turn off ignition again to right up paper work with AA man, he decided to follow me for a few miles just in case it came back, turn ignition back on and again same message Engine Malfunction, but no other lights showing, then message went out and I drove the car home on the motorway at 70+ no problems! Does anybody know what might be causing the message, or had the same problem, before I have to book it in with my local ford dealer, hope to hear from someone,Ta Brian.

Hi, my focus CC3 2.0 Tdci, Went to start car tonight at work so could put roof down, (really nice and sunny), had message on dash stating Engine Malfunction, but no other lights showing up, turn engine off and went back to work, came out 20mins later and started the car, engine ran very well but massage reappeared Engine Malfunction. So turn off ignition and call AA, 1 hour later turn up and plug in his reader, guess what, No code found, after clearing the message he told me to take it for a quick trip around the block, all ok again, turn off ignition again to right up paper work with AA man, he decided to follow me for a few miles just in case it came back, turn ignition back on and again same message Engine Malfunction, but no other lights showing, then message went out and I drove the car home on the motorway at 70+ no problems! Does anybody know what might be causing the message, or had the same problem, before I have to book it in with my local ford dealer, hope to hear from someone,Ta Brian.

hi-jacking somebody else's topic....... start a new-un

Sorry Martin didn't know I had to start new topic when this one seems to show the same problem I've got, was just asking if any body nknew or had the same problem & may be how to cure it, Sorry again

sounds like a bad sensor somewhere?

same as james, sounds like a bad sensor, or wiring to a sensor... same thing really lol

Also when going uphill no power at all

could be egr valve

Agreed!

• 11 months later...

Ive got the same problem with the same car and same year as you, does anyone know what the problem is as it's driving me mad, mine comes on and off at random i spent £50 for a diagnostics check at Halfords but the warning had gone off so they could not find anything wrong.

• 1 year later...

Hi I'm same boat,I have a 1.8tdi this 09 plate focus and the engine malfunction light keeps coming on,car is very sluggish and has very poor mpg at around 26,cleaned egr valve but still same,anyone got any ideas to look at next.car is very hesitant and when cold I go to reverse and it's like something is blocked as it kicks out a big puff of smoke then sounds fine before light returns,glow plugs were changed last year and also failed mot this year on emissions which I had the air and diesel filters changed but still same

57 minutes ago, Paul22law said:

Hi I'm same boat,I have a 1.8tdi this 09 plate focus and the engine malfunction light keeps coming on,car is very sluggish and has very poor mpg at around 26,cleaned egr valve but still same,anyone got any ideas to look at next.car is very hesitant and when cold I go to reverse and it's like something is blocked as it kicks out a big puff of smoke then sounds fine before light returns,glow plugs were changed last year and also failed mot this year on emissions which I had the air and diesel filters changed but still same

hi paul, was having same issue last week, got some advice of member to disconnect mass air flow sensor as i was getting message via forscan relating to MAF, can you disconnect it and try car see if is runs better, i currently have mine disconnected till get new sensor and car runs like a bullet train.

• Like 1

Will it do any damage as I'm not good with cars,if I know we're something is I will be able to have ago,any idea were it will be and would something like that make my car sluggish and a little juddery in low gears,thanks for the reply 

1 hour ago, Paul22law said:

Will it do any damage as I'm not good with cars,if I know we're something is I will be able to have ago,any idea were it will be and would something like that make my car sluggish and a little juddery in low gears,thanks for the reply 

Your car will use re-programmed readings as an average so it runs ok, mine runs great best its been since bought 2 yrs ago, still changing it thou, if runs ok then its the maf, if still same then egr, fuel filter, injectors or anything like dodgy fuel...gud luck

3 hours ago, Paul22law said:

if I know we're something is I will be able to have ago,any idea were it will be

The MAF is inside the air duct leading from the airbox (filter housing), between the battery and the engine. Very easy to get at.

There is a connector on the side of the duct, and there will be a little latch in the middle of the connector. Ensure ignition is off, and has been off for a minute or so. Use a small screwdriver to prise open the latch (I forget which way, could check mine if needed), and wiggle out the connector. Leave it disconnected (you could tape up both openings to stop dirt or water getting in), and start her up.

But really you do need a scanner. Any cheap OBD2 scanner will read most engine error codes. I use a basic U480, under £10 from eBay, but there are better ones available now for similar price. Removing the MAF will cause a code (DTC), and put the light on (if not already on), and it will be useful to verify this, and clear the code on re-connecting the MAF.

Not had time this morning but can see were it is,engine light just come on again on way to work,if I unplug the maf will the light be obtained constantly or off,thanks 

2 hours ago, Paul22law said:

if I unplug the maf will the light be obtained constantly or off,

The light should be constantly On, because lack of MAF is a fault. But if the MAF itself is faulty, then many people have found that the car drives much better without the faulty MAF connected.

Once you have diagnosed the MAF as the problem, you will need to replace it, or sometimes just clean it, before you can, hopefully, get back to driving a decent car with no EML on.