Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New 1Ltr Focus Test Drive & Tempted !!!

Wickwick10_1

Drive the new Eco Boost Focus today and impressed ! Very tempted to chop in my Titanium for one !

Edited by Mark M.K
Edited spelling mistake in title

Drive the new Eco Boost Focus today and impressed ! Very tempted to chop in my Titanium for one !

im shocked to see your considering trading mate, it must have been good

was their much noise from the engine when driving and is air conditioning available on the eco boost model ?

and what was the acceleration like and the mpg what do they reckon it will do?

Miles to the gallon better than my 1.6 petrol and also it's the same bhp at 125 ! Slightly more torque on pull off and well impressed !!!!!!

Miles to the gallon better than my 1.6 petrol and also it's the same bhp at 125 ! Slightly more torque on pull off and well impressed !!!!!!

thats excellent mate and best of all no DPF

ford could probably fit the spare wheel next to the engine too and save more luggage space lol

Suggest any doubters tho go test this car as I was a doubter but ford nailed this !

Suggest any doubters tho go test this car as I was a doubter but ford nailed this !

I couldn't agree more. Just picked up my 1.0 125 Estate today, which I ordered sort of blind (mix up during initial order, was originally a 1.6 125 petrol, then had to reorder due to Ford no longer supplying that engine for manual cars and no demo car available) and despite folks saying the 1.0 was a great engine I was a little worried I'd made a bad choice.

It's very very quiet, which ironically has been a slight issue as I'm used to knowing when to change gear by the engine noise and now have to use the rev counter. Also had complaints on the dash I'm in the wrong gear a couple of times because it's happy to cruise at 40mph in 3rd gear and I've been driving thinking I put it in 5th with no engine note to tell me otherwise. I've not had a proper test as yet but flat open motorway, 15 mile journey, current avg mpg at 60-65mph was showing 50 at lowest, 80 tops so probably around 60 ish mpg at those speeds. Little change at 70mph although I need to test at that speed further to be sure.

I also couldn't resist putting my foot down, even tho I had only 40 miles on the clock, and it really does fly. You really do have to remind yourself it's only a little 1L 3 cylinder engine, because the performance is just indicative of a much larger engine. The engine/exhaust note is nice too when you floor it, with it sounding a lot like a nice meaty lump under the bonnet.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a 1.6 Ecoboost; that's obviously a higher performing engine. But there is a marked difference well over the old 99bhp 1.6 duratec and over the original 125 1.6 it replaces; especially noticeable on the motorway when you go to overtake. Was at 60, pulled out in 5th gear and you can still feel the torque as it quickly increases to 70. In 6th gear it lacks torque but for eating through the miles it should be good on the mpg.

Around town it's just as lively, although I have found I've needed to give it a few more revs than I expected to get it off the line as it were. Once it's started moving though, it pulls cleanly from low revs and feels nice and torquey as you get past the 2200rpm mark. The start-stop works well too.

Anyone looking at a MK3 Focus needs to take one of these for a test drive, and take it on the motorway if possible, because it really is suprisingly good.

I couldn't agree more. Just picked up my 1.0 125 Estate today, which I ordered sort of blind (mix up during initial order, was originally a 1.6 125 petrol, then had to reorder due to Ford no longer supplying that engine for manual cars and no demo car available) and despite folks saying the 1.0 was a great engine I was a little worried I'd made a bad choice.

It's very very quiet, which ironically has been a slight issue as I'm used to knowing when to change gear by the engine noise and now have to use the rev counter. Also had complaints on the dash I'm in the wrong gear a couple of times because it's happy to cruise at 40mph in 3rd gear and I've been driving thinking I put it in 5th with no engine note to tell me otherwise. I've not had a proper test as yet but flat open motorway, 15 mile journey, current avg mpg at 60-65mph was showing 50 at lowest, 80 tops so probably around 60 ish mpg at those speeds. Little change at 70mph although I need to test at that speed further to be sure.

I also couldn't resist putting my foot down, even tho I had only 40 miles on the clock, and it really does fly. You really do have to remind yourself it's only a little 1L 3 cylinder engine, because the performance is just indicative of a much larger engine. The engine/exhaust note is nice too when you floor it, with it sounding a lot like a nice meaty lump under the bonnet.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a 1.6 Ecoboost; that's obviously a higher performing engine. But there is a marked difference well over the old 99bhp 1.6 duratec and over the original 125 1.6 it replaces; especially noticeable on the motorway when you go to overtake. Was at 60, pulled out in 5th gear and you can still feel the torque as it quickly increases to 70. In 6th gear it lacks torque but for eating through the miles it should be good on the mpg.

Around town it's just as lively, although I have found I've needed to give it a few more revs than I expected to get it off the line as it were. Once it's started moving though, it pulls cleanly from low revs and feels nice and torquey as you get past the 2200rpm mark. The start-stop works well too.

Anyone looking at a MK3 Focus needs to take one of these for a test drive, and take it on the motorway if possible, because it really is suprisingly good.

Recently Ford have been a bit mean and stopped fitting alarms to some models, have Ford fitted a full Thatcham Category 1 alarm to the car you have bought?

ndsussex: I believe so, but I will check/test and make sure and report back later today.

I do know that when I turn the engine off, the trip display does put up a binary choice option for an interior scan on-off. This if I recall from the manual is the "Ask on Exit" function of the alarm; you can set the alarm to Reduced Guard if you have dogs/kids/moving objects in the car and it will reset back to full gaurd the next time you arm the system.

It's good to hear that Ford are doing the right thing at last!

Recently Ford have been a bit mean and stopped fitting alarms to some models, have Ford fitted a full Thatcham Category 1 alarm to the car you have bought?

Ford have stopped fitting alarms on the 1.0ltr to keep the weight down but imoboliser yes !

Ford have stopped fitting alarms on the 1.0ltr to keep the weight down but imoboliser yes !

I don't think an alarm can't make a significant weight difference, it's more likely to be cost cutting. Eating one less pie would do more good. :D

Don't even kno if mine has alarm fitted ? The alarms never on my list of musts when I buy car - now the stereo system is ! Lol

It should be! the car is worth more than the stereo and the stereo is also protected by the alarm, and if the car gets stolen say goodbye to the stereo as well. :wacko:

True but mate its only a car to me - a decent head unit / good exterior looks and I am easily pleased but very bored already of mine soon the look out .....

True but mate its only a car to me - a decent head unit / good exterior looks and I am easily pleased but very bored already of mine soon the look out .....

Hey, each to there own, but I take a very dim view of some toe-rag taking my property or anybody else's, I stamp down very hard on that type of activity. :angry:

Keep us posted on your choice of a new motor.

I have to say Focus theft very low and if nothing's on show no need to break in , I never worry about theft to be honest as !Removed! secure cars ! As for new one I don't know ...... I had a new a fiesta Zetec S before this and loved it !

bcfeb198.jpg

Kept it 2 years and this one is 8 months old and already very bored ! Lol

5591b3d3.jpg

ndsussex: I believe so, but I will check/test and make sure and report back later today.

I do know that when I turn the engine off, the trip display does put up a binary choice option for an interior scan on-off. This if I recall from the manual is the "Ask on Exit" function of the alarm; you can set the alarm to Reduced Guard if you have dogs/kids/moving objects in the car and it will reset back to full gaurd the next time you arm the system.

did you know you can disable this pop up in the vehicle settings ? :)

did you know you can disable this pop up in the vehicle settings ? :)

I didn't until now (thank you!) so I shall take a look at the manual again in a bit! Speaking of, I just found Ecomode in the trip display in the manual last night and took a look at it. Looks like my gearing needs some work (I need to start looking at the rev counter more ... ) but my anticipation is spot on; all 5 petals lit. As for speed ... yeah, every now and then I'm pulling out of a junction and it's completely clear and it's a 40mph limit and I just have to remind myself how good the acceleration of the 1.0 actually is. Only 3 petals ;) New game to play now, see if I can get all 3 fully lit.

I didn't until now (thank you!) so I shall take a look at the manual again in a bit! Speaking of, I just found Ecomode in the trip display in the manual last night and took a look at it. Looks like my gearing needs some work (I need to start looking at the rev counter more ... ) but my anticipation is spot on; all 5 petals lit. As for speed ... yeah, every now and then I'm pulling out of a junction and it's completely clear and it's a 40mph limit and I just have to remind myself how good the acceleration of the 1.0 actually is. Only 3 petals ;) New game to play now, see if I can get all 3 fully lit.

Don't forget to keep your eyes on the road and less on the petals. <_<

Yes it sounds just the right motor for my driving requirements, being low annual mileage and the like. After reading trade reviews I earmarked it for my next change of car, after putting the 125bhp variant and the latest 1.6 TDCi through my running cost analysis spread sheet. It compares Road Tax, and fuel savings with my current mileage, using my current Mk2 1.6 99bhp petrol variant as the Bench Mark.

Savings:

Mk3 1.0 Ecoboost... £335 saving [my choice]

Mk3 1.6 TDCi .........£449

That's on 4k annual mileage, so you can see how the newer variants have massive running cost savings over the older Mk2 engines. Doing 12k a year you'd save a grand a year even if you stuck with a petrol varaint.

Chris, whilst we are on the subject, how has your dalliance with the 1.6 Ecoboost panned out? Did I read somewhere that your minded to go back to a Mondi on your next change.................is it a more space issue or something else?

Oh and how did your meeting regards your employment go? All well I hope.

Catch

Wish I could afford a new motor, would be strongly tempted by the sounds of things, however I have to ask this...

How can a 1 litre car, be that fuel efficient? what sort of gearbox have you got in it, and what sort of revs are you doing at around 70-80 mph? is it a 6/7 speed to make it that efficient?

How do they get away without fitting a DPF to it though? I thought that the eurocack still had to be on all diesels?

My concern would be the reliability a few years down the line, is a 1ltr engine in a car the size of a focus being put under a lot of strain, is it going to do 100k+ miles? Only time will tell. :wacko:

How can a 1 litre car, be that fuel efficient? what sort of gearbox have you got in it, and what sort of revs are you doing at around 70-80 mph? is it a 6/7 speed to make it that efficient?

The 125bhp (there is a 105bhp with a 5 speed box) has a 6 speed gearbox. As for revs, in 6th I believe they were quite low, tho I don't actually recall even ballpark figures; I wasn't paying attention. Next time I get a chance to run at that speed I'll let you know. My previous MK2.5 1.6 99BHP wasn't so good (for me) around town when it came to mpg, and the miles-left-in-the-tank indicator was always very wrong (tank would say 140 miles, I'd get 100 if I was lucky). So far, this 1L has been almost spot on. 93 Miles on the trip, 92 miles used from the miles-left-in-tank figure. The majority of the driving has been local, no more than 4-6 miles trips; still not quite got 3 figures on the clock yet.

How do they get away without fitting a DPF to it though? I thought that the eurocack still had to be on all diesels?

Not a diesel engine, it's petrol :)

ndsussex: good question. Keep in mind that it's very early days for me, I've done maybe 25 miles of motorway and about 70 odd around town, and so far I've never once "felt" the engine was under any sort of stress, even with a full compliment of passengers. I've no reason to load the boot of the car often myself (I only got the estate version because I felt the boot on a standard mk3 focus was too small for my family needs) but currently at least I don't feel worried about putting weight in the car if I had to.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club