Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would Lowering A Car Change The Handling

Matt8113

thinking of lowering my car would it change how it would handle for the better or worse

Should handle for the better if done correctly, lower centre of gravity and a tortuer chassis well help with turning more sharply allowing fast acceleration out of corners, the way i see it lowering classes as follows

40mm - sport handling, easier on the eyes slightly harder ride.

50-55mm - best handling for higher power cars best compromise for handling and comfort, harder than 40mm though

60mm - to low to operate, using 60mm is a fashion statement, the car being this low puts a lot of pressure on the rest of the suspension parts such as wishbones and bushes. Poly bushes can counterreact this but better use with 50mm

All is referencing to springs, the shocks also need to be upgraded, Eibach are one of the highest rated with koni and spax close. I run gmax which is the cheapeast on the market.

Make sure its installed correctly

If honest, going much below 30mm means you're going to end off a corner after hitting a hole. And if honest, the stupidly low look makes you look like a twerp and really negatively affects handling as you'll have no weight transfer whatsoever, meaning the front end is never going to get the full effect of the weight transfer when taking corners quickly. Another problem is camber, you're going to push quite a bit of negative camber and as such in a straight line it's going to be a little more unstable, could be a problem on motorways and with tyres. Also the car won't react well to pot holes, damaging suspension parts and such.

Moral of the tale - do too much and you look like a twerp sat in a ditch, but a little lower can help a little.

I've had my focus lowered 30mm on Eibach and luv it drove my mates standard car and realised how bad the suspension is just do it you won't regret it.

Mine's on coilovers, 30mm is nice :P

Trust me though, I've played around with the heights, going much lower than 30mm is terrible. 45mm is as low as I go on track use...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club