Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Getting Flip Key Cut

1Lance

Hi guys,

I've been wanting a flip key so I ordered one from eBay which came this morning. After I got home from work today I swiftly decided I would go down to the local timpsons to get it cut. After rushing in there with 5 mins to go before closure, I was disappointed that he refused to cut it. They said on their website they can, but he said only certain keys can be cut, and mine cant.

So, where can I get it cut for a decent price, don't wanna have to go to ford. Also, am I right in thinking that I can programme my new key because I have 2 sets of keys already? I've already programmed the remote B)

Have a look round your local area for a small hardware or shoe repair shop that cuts keys, they'll more than likely do it for you and be grateful for the business.

You could always use yell.com and put key cutting in the search bar

Places such as timpsons are either all for doing it for you or want to sell you one of their keys at an inflated price

Bearer of bad news but you're unlikely to find a high street key cutter that will do the blade for you as they moan like anything about doing self sourced keys.

Also you won't be able to programme the PATS chip yourself, Ford removed that ability in late 2004 about time the MK2 Focus came out.

Now you need someone with an IDS module whick codes the key directly onto the ECU and Instrument cluster.

You'll need to find a local Auto Locksmith who will cut and code the key for you in about 10 minutes.

Also as stated earlier Do Not go to Ford, they won't do your key and will insist on you buying one they supply.

With everything that goes with this service you'll be looking at about £300 plus.

I am confused. Some people I've read have said they have done this and others have said what stoney says. I'm wasting all my energy on this!

Roughly, how much would it cost by an auto locksmith? I'm planning on going in asking on Monday but was just wondering. Damn why do I want a flip key so bad!

Pre 2004 cars could be self programmed with the original 2 keys (needed to unlock the system), after 2004 it is only possible with an IDS module.

You say you already have two (I'm assuming fixed blade) keys? Why not use one of those as a donor?

Take it apart, and you'll find the programmed chip inside, glued in near the base of the key blade. Might take a bit of work to get the chip out, but once you do, it'll drop straight into the flip key and therefore remove any need for programming ;) You will also be left with a spare that will open the car but not start it

Yeh I was going to do that (seen the thread on here) but, I have a feeling I would mess it up. And the spare i have isn't the remote one, its that crappy thing which looks very flimsy which I'm sure I'd snap it completely off lol

I'm sure that one comes apart though, might be worth just seeing?

I've just quickly tried then and I'm starting to break the plastic round the sides. Using tweezers isn't helping i bet!

From a local auto locksmith I've been quoted £70 + vat for my key, as long as it has the correct transponder chip which I'm sure it has. This sounds like a lot. What do people think? Does this sound reasonable?

That's about right.

Seeing as you'd be looking at £300 or more off Ford.

Ok so just got back from getting the key cut. There was some weird thing attached to my car in that storage box to the right of the steering wheel under the lights. He didnt have a clue what it was and presumed a ford tech left it in there. Come to think of it, I remember seeing that area lit up red when my door was open. I presumed it was part of the ambient lighting. What do you think it is? Worth anything on eBay u think lol

post-44280-0-79888300-1375952626_thumb.j

That plug is for your OBD2 port so it will most likely have been what they used to program the key to your car. I imagine they'd quite like it back!

It was the auto locksmith that gave it to me. So does that mean its been in there since ford did the original keys to the car?

The more I look at it I think it could be an Econocheck check device which Ford discontinued.

A dealer plugged it in for you, you drive around for a week before taking it out and posting it back to Ford who analyse your driving style and give you tips on improving fuel economy.

Leftover from a previous owner maybe who forgot to send it back?

I'm not 100% sure of what it is, are there any other connection points on the other side of the box??

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club