Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buckled Fiesta Alloys

Hjalle

Hey Guys

I recently bought 16" alloys off a Fiesta mk 7 Zetec for my Fiesta mk6.5 to replace the hub caps it was one.

Personally I think that they look really good on my car, but I have been through hell and back with my experience, so I thought I would just post to give a heads up to anyone looking at buying alloys for/ off the mk7 Fiesta.

I bought the alloys off a girl who had bought new after market alloys for her car. They looked like they were in good shape with very little gutter rash on them, so purchased them and was happy with my choice in alloys.

And then the hell begun when I went to put new tires on them and was told the 175/45 - 16 is a strange size tire so choice halves and the price jumps up straight away just to put tires on the stupid things. I decided on Hankooks and must admit I am very happy with them, super grippy in the dry and wet, quiet and give a nice sport drive.

Then a week later I took my car back due to a slight wobble through the steering wheel. I assumed my alignment was out but it turns out I had buckles in 4 of 4 alloys! Major blow. I had a look into it and turns out Fiesta alloys are super soft and buckle easily. I phoned multiple alloys refurbishers and most don't touch them due to their softness and the probability of them breaking during the rerolling process.

I finally got them rerolled (3 perfectly done and 1 almost 100%) and had a balance done to minimise the slight buckle. Now 4 weeks after buying my alloys my wallet is a lot lighter than when I started and my alloys are finally on and in good working order.

I just thought I'd post to give people a heads up if they are thinking about buying Fiesta alloys second hand. They are super fragile and prone to buckles, so triple check for buckles when buying second hand!

Just to sweeten the deal if anyone has buckled alloys on a Fiesta - Ford's best advice is, we will sell you new ones for $4000/ £2300

post-46361-0-30785200-1377597625_thumb.j

Welcome to FOC!

Yeah there has been a fair bit of discussion on this before:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/33916-ford-fiesta-alloy-wheels-have-you-had-buckled-alloy-wheels-or-know-somebody-who-has-lets-get-something-done-about-it/

I was always really wary of potholes when I had my Fiesta with its 16" alloys. In some ways I was pleased to get rid of it, just because of this issue, my Focus has got a nice amount of sidewall now.

They have actually increased the size of tyre they are using now on the 16" alloys, upto 50% I believe on the MK7.5 from 45% sidewall on the MK7.

Has anyone had any issues with the mk7.5 17"s buckling ?

The op is talking tosh, £2300 for new ones is an out and out lie...

They're in Australia - $4000 is quite possible, lets not call any one a liar ;)

And in the UK the 16" tyres are 195/45/16 so I wonder why you've bought skinny 175's Hjalmar?

I wish you were right cuke, but sadly in Australia where I live £2300 is apparently the going rate for Fiesta alloys. I have the quote right here on my desk if you dont believe me

They're in Australia - $4000 is quite possible, lets not call any one a liar ;)

And in the UK the 16" tyres are 195/45/16 so I wonder why you've bought skinny 175's Hjalmar?

And yes you are right iNath - i dont know where 175 came from they are 195/45 - 16

My new Fiesta Titanium Ecoboost 125 has 195/50 - 16"

My new Fiesta Titanium Ecoboost 125 has 195/50 - 16"

Thats what I thought they had done. On the Mk7, 16" wheels used to have 195/45, you have more sidewall now. :)

Thats what I thought they had done. On the Mk7, 16" wheels used to have 195/45, you have more sidewall now. :)

Yep - My previous 09 plate Fiesta Titanium 1.4 petrol had 195/45 16"

The new 195/50 16" on my Titanium Ecoboost 125 give a nicer ride and help protect the wheels :-)

I am at a total loss now and most certainly not happy.

48 hours after my reroll and I have buckles again. We have had heavy rain for the past 2 days, (winter in Australia) so lots of deep fresh pot holes. I hit a brand spanking new one at 40km/h (25mph) today with my newly fixed alloys and they are broken again.

Im ready to throw in the towel. Cut my losses and just go back to my old 195/50 - 15 hub caps. There will be a phone call to Ford and the council though to let them know about my unenjoyable experience.

I may be wrong but they look like the 7 spoke of the Mk7 not 6.5.

If so they do buckle like crazy, I have 3 buckled including the one I replaced a year ago.

Post on my post as linked in alex's comment, it's nice and handy then if anyone wants to go and complain to Ford! The Forum got me my way with Ford so it is possible to at least half win :P

Can you claim back the cost of further repairs through the council as it was one of their potholes which did it this time? I know over here if you get photos as proof of the hole and damage they may pay out. Worth a try?

I'm sure I recall an incident my friend had correctly with potholes, she tried to claim off the council for the buckled wheel but the council said they couldn't reimburse for the cost of the alloy because they didn't 'know' about the pothole. Further to this they stated that they could only reimburse people for potholes that have been recorded and that they know about.

I hit a pothole a few months back, buckled my alloy and destroyed a week old tyre... council wouldn't pay out, despite picture evidence. Idiots!

I'm sure I recall an incident my friend had correctly with potholes, she tried to claim off the council for the buckled wheel but the council said they couldn't reimburse for the cost of the alloy because they didn't 'know' about the pothole. Further to this they stated that they could only reimburse people for potholes that have been recorded and that they know about.

One of my mates works for local highways and says this is corrrect, if they don't know they are not liable. Best thing to do is to report every pothole you see and keep a record of the call. However if you hit one that has been highlighted, usually painted around it, they have 7 days to fix it, you should be pretty much guaranteed a payout.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club