Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problems New Fiesta

bootsy

Hi all, we have a Ford Fiesta Zetec Econetic 1.5 deisel car new march 31 2013, we have had a lot of problems with it the worst being that it wont rev, it will start and idle but wont rev, you can floor the pedal and it just stays on tick over, it has done this four times for about half a hour then it works again. Also once i was stoped at traffic lights and the revs kept on droping from about 800 to 300 it then went back to normal before the lights changed thank god. When we picked the car up new i was looking under the bonnet and found the crash sensor had not been fitted it was just coiled up with the bolt through the sensor but not bolted in, only mention this in case it may have something to do with the problems, another problem is we get a warning alarm some times when i start it but there is no light on the dash its not the seat belt alarm. The electric window stoped working for half a hour, one of the parking sensors goes off 90% of the time with nothing behind you and the drivers side wiper would shake when working. We took it in for the check and they fitted the crash sensor and a new wiper that sorted those two but said that the ecu only remebers up to fourty cycles so could not get any fault codes so i have to wait until it happens again then take it in straight away, the car has done 4000 miles and when runing ok seams to go ok, i drive it very easy and even run it in as stated in the manual but the fuel use is not as good as it should be, the dealer loaned us a C max 2.0 automatic and that was better on fuel than ours. Sorry for the long post, think we got a friday afternoon car, any one have any thoughts on this?

I also forgot to say that sometimes when you turn the car off the fan goes full pelt and wont go off, you can switch the ignition off and lock the car but it still keeps runing, after its been runing at full pelt for about five mins it smells of burning rubber, if i start the car up it then goes normal but as soon as i switch it off again it goes to full pelt again. It usually stops if i switch the ignition on and off four our five times but some times it wont go off and i have to start the car up a few times so the fan has a bit of a rest.E5GDM how do i reject it? we have had it for about six months.

The burning smell is the car trying to force a DPF regeneration cycle, apart from the few small niggles it sounds to me like you have bought the wrong car, you should have bought a petrol car not diesel.

Take the car for a long run on the motorway (100 miles) and see if the performance improves then, I think the DPF is blocked.

Yeah with 8k annual mileage you really should have got a petrol, really need to do 15k+ to justify diesel (with long runs, not town driving) otherwise your filter gets clogged up and tries to burn the soot off which is the symptoms you describe.

We will be doing about 25k a year soon thats why we got a diesel, our old car was diesel (not a Ford) and we did not have any of these problems, my daughter has a Ford Fiesta 2010 model that is 1.4 litre diesel she does about 12k a year and she has not had any problems like this. Are you both saying that all the problems we are getting are because we have not done enough miles in it so far?, if that is the case Ford should warn people to not use a diesel if they are not going to do many miles because if they do it will play up.

The 1.4 2010 diesel did not have this diesel particulate filter and presumably your old one didn't either (they've only brought them in the last couple of years)

Agreed salesmen need make this clearer to the customer and asses their needs properly.

I don't know your driving habits so no offence meant, but the car should not be trying to perform a DPF regeneration when standing. You should take the car out for a good run at least once a week, if you intend to do 25K mileage in the future you should be OK providing you have some fast motorway miles.

It's not just Ford that have these issues all diesel car manufacturers see customers with blocked DPF's due to short runs in the city and you are correct in that the salesman should make it clear the effects of city driving on a modern diesel and whether the customer is making the right choice.

The day after we picked up the car was the first time it did the no rev thing, i thought it was just one of those things, we have the car on Pcp finance with a limit of 12k miles a year but there was not any mention of thats not enough for a new desiel only that they cost more so it would be cheaper to get a petrol car, we new there was a chance that we would have to do more miles but were told it would not be a problem as long as we did not hand the car back and walk away from it. I think i had better contact Ford and say our new car is not fit for purpose in light of what has been said here.

I have googled this Dpf thing and it does look like you are all right, our car has a three year warranty would that cover if this Dpf thing went wrong?

Hi, once a month is fine to force a regen, however some of the symptoms you describe suggest something other than anything to do with the dpf and it is unlikely that it is blocked as you would have a engine management light illumintate. The fan running on after stopping the car could be a regen, or it could be overheating. Check the coolant levels as my focus did this when it developed a leak. Stick with the dealership, you need them on your side, but be firm and insist that they find a solution, even if it means leaving the car with them for a few days...

If the car is not fit for purpose, your entitled to swap the car, or get your money back. You would have to google it for the exact rules.

Although as the cars still under warranty, they should rectify the problem. Good luck.

Hi all, thanks for the help, the car is not overheating as when the fan first went mad that was the first thing i looked at was the temp and it was normal. One thing that it does all the time is when you turn the car off you can hear a like whistle sound near the front grill, its not very loud but its there. Its a shame really because i really like the car even with all its faults, i know its one of the slowest cars but at my age we were after good economy and some thing that would last a good while. When i was young i worked in a garage and had a mark one three litre capri that had the special manifold with three twin choke webers on it, Janspeed exhaust ect and god was that fast, i also had a v12 jag but the capri was faster.

Just phoned our dealer and our Fiesta does not have a Dpf.

I would be very surprised if that was the case.

This is a quote from the AA

The exhaust emissions standards for new cars have effectively required fitment of a DPF in the exhaust of diesel cars since 2009 when the 'Euro 5' standard came into force. In fact, many cars registered before 2009 will have had one fitted too in anticipation of the change in standards.

He said our car had a cat converter, he checked our reg with Ford, he also said that the Ford Focus does have a Dpf, i would hope he is not telling me porky`s. He also said that the fan going full blast even when the car was turned off and locked was the engine management lowering the temp inside the engine compartment and can go for up to 15 mins to cool it. He said as our car does not have a Dpf if our car does the no rev thing again to take it straight in and they will sort it. Our dealer by the way is Hendy Ford.

From what your being told I would say the dealer is not fit for purpose!

• Like 1

I agree with you, i have done some reading up on the net and it seams as our car must have one. I think i will ring another branch and see what they say. The chap told me he checked with the workshop boss and with Ford. Think i will have a good look through the manual and see if there is any reference to it also.

Seeing as you're in Hampshire I would say take the car to Gowrings Ford in Newbury. They may be a bit of a drive but I know a senior mechanic there and they should be able to sort you just fine. What dealer do you use now?

I phoned another branch of Hendy Ford and they say they cant tell me if our car has a Dpf!, it looks to me like they think there maybe a problem with it but dont want to have to deal with it. I also emailed Ford but they have not answered yet. Some times when i start the car up there is a warning sound goes off, it happens about one out of ten starts but there is no warning light, it is not the seatbelt alarm because that has a light on the dash. THIS REALLY SUCKS. To be fair to Hendys they have said that if it does the no rev thing to book it in so they can have a look but i think they should have done that when i first phoned them about it and then the fault codes would not of been cleared and this would have been sorted.

Found a dealer in Verwood that knows his stuff, told him problems i had and straight away he said with the fan going funny ect it could of been doing a regen, he also said my car would have a Dpf and got the parts list up and comfirmed that it has got one, i am not sure why Hendys could not of done that. So a big thank you to Richard of Verwood Ford.

That is great to hear. Hopefully they can fix all of your problems and make your can run as it should!

I am sure they will, thank all of you for your help with this. I do really like the car, its panther black metallic and allthough that is really hard to keep it looking clean i think when we get another new one i would still get the black.

The car has Dimondbrite coating on it and i went and bought a new leather to dry it but it left marks on the car then i got a microfibre drying towel and it comes up great with that, just got to find the best way of cleaning the back of the alloy wheels!

This vehicle does have a DPF. But if it was a DPF problem which I dont think it is, a warning light would appear on the dash.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club