Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starting Problems

Salad Dodger

hya , i have a 99 focus 1.8 zetec
for some time now it has taken a few turns of the key to get it running & i've just kind of put up with it .

but recently it has been a complete nightmare to start .to the point where it can take half an hour to get it fired up .
i have to alternate between pedal full down - turn over for a couple of seconds / pedal up - turn over for a couple of seconds .
it seems to be turning over completely dry with no attempt of firing , then occasionally i'll get a half arsed attempt to start .
the attempted start is always on release of the key & never whilst the starter motor is in full turn .

pretty much every time i start it now i practically flatten the battery due to the length of time it takes to start it , & have to boost off a 2nd battery to eventually get it going but it's still a long process .
i'm also using a few squirts of easy start but i don't think that has any effect & is more just to make me feel better like i'm actually trying something :/
once started & run for a few minutes it will start again after a couple of turns , but if left overnight it's back to square 1 .
the battery is new , plugs seem fine , air filter is clean , new fuel filter fitted , it's had 2 tanks through with redex additive but still the same .

i'm thinking it could be a sensor ? but have no idea where to start .

do i need to get it to a garage or is it a common fault with an easy home fix ?
i'm currently out of work so money is tight atm .
i'm no skilled mechanic but i'm no stranger to a tool kit & being up to my elbows in grease & oil when needed .

any help is much appreciated as it's doing my head in .
thanks in advance
jim

i should add that once started it is running poor at low revs & needs extra throttle with prolonged clutch to set off from a standing start & i often find i need to be in a lower gear than i'd normaly choose to keep momentum .
at higher revs & when up to speed it runs fine

first is the battery silver calcium if its lead acid theres half youre problem it must have a silver calcium battery secondly the idle control valve needs replaced this causes poor idle and hard starting on the right hand side of the engine near the bulkhead you wwill see this 2 10mm bolts is all it takes to remove it post-8800-0-87051500-1381236061_thumb.jp

Got a similar intermittent problem on my sons 1.8 zetec we find if we twiddle the wires on the tps connector it starts ? Strange I know haven't had time to look at it properly tends to do it more often when it's been damp or raining .

first is the battery silver calcium if its lead acid theres half youre problem it must have a silver calcium battery secondly the idle control valve needs replaced this causes poor idle and hard starting on the right hand side of the engine near the bulkhead you wwill see this 2 10mm bolts is all it takes to remove it attachicon.gifindex.jpg

thanks for replying .

the battery is indeed a Bosch lead acid type & is what i was handed at the motor factors when i gave them my reg plate & they brought it up on their system :censored:

i've looked at idle control valve faults across the web & youtube , & i'm not experiencing what i've seen . there's no big flutters or drops in revs at idle , just a lack of oomph on setting off (like when you try setting off in 2nd gear from a standstill) & the starting issues .

i have noticed that on the side of the air filter box on the incoming dide there's what appears to be an expansion chamber clipped onto the side via a push fitting which appears 'sloppy' & loose . not sure if this would affect anything as it's on the dirty side of the filter rather than the clean side .

do you reckon the battery being non silver-calcium would cause all the problems i'm having ?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club