Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Uh Oh! Battery Light On.... Whooshing Noise.... Alternator Dead?

vibeone

Car running fine, park up, shop, come back... whoosing noise evident. Engine speed related, but not movement related.

Belt appears to be fine, and based on the fact I didn't fry the engine running it back home, it suggests the water pump is running too!

Quick check online and it seems the alternators on these are nasty and useless. Can anyone confirm that I'm barking up the right tree, or any other trees which might be of interest?

Also, any ideas on pricing direct from ford (I might be able to source one tomorrow if so), though i suspect crazy money.

Plenty of new and used on eBay.

any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

and just to add, if i disconnect the alternator power cable thingy, the sound goes away, so im almost certain its alternator now...

Sounds like the alternator to me. Common fault on the mk2 focus! :unsure:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app

Yup... just an update (because I noticed this thread comes up on google!)

It was the alternator.

I bought a replacement 150amp Denso alternator from a local motor factors for £96.60+Vat + £15 surcharge. Tried to fit it myself but even getting the belt off was a disaster - meanwhile by this stage I'd done 60+ miles without an alternator.

Then yesterday I rung the main ford dealer and asked if they'd fit it for me (expecting them to want to source the part etc), but they agreed, did it within the day, and charged £81 all in to fit it.

On the way to the dealership, power steering and ABS failed, but amazing, despite the voltage dropping to nearly 10v, engine-wise it didn't miss a beat. Dash was lit up like a christmas tree playing all sorts of tunes but it didn't stop!

The problem has gone away, and the dealership left the old alternator in the box for me to claim my £15 back.

Just under £200 down, but problem solved quickly. Really happy with the ford dealership for sorting it quickly, and don't get arsey about getting the bits themselves etc.

Good to hear of a positive result Mark!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club