Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Estate Towbar Fitting

mondoman72

Hi,

This is my first post, so firstly a big hello to everyone.

I have a focus 1.8 TDCi estate on a 54 plate. i recently purchased of eBay a Witter towbar model number F83A, which is what is listed for my car.

I have fitted the two side plate to the chassis, as per instructions however i have a problem when trying to mount the main frame. Not only is it about 1/2" too short to meet both side arms / plates but the bend in the middle does not line up underneath with the space wheel compartment and stops the beam being lifted into place as it hits on the space wheel compartment.

I have double checked the instructions and have made sure everything is in the right place and cannot see where i am going wrong. would appriciate any advice as I am starting to think that this is the wrong one for my car.

Is it possible that my chassis is not mk1 if so how can i tell?

• Like 1

I have just read the fitting instructions for your tow-bar

Remove rear exhaust hanger rubber. Insert Spreader Plates (H) into chassis through access holes on under
side of chassis and loosely attach Side Arms (E) and(F) to Spreader Plates (H) using Bolts (D). Note: Forward
Spreader Plate (H) on right hand side can be difficult to position due to limited access.
2. Loosely attach Mainframe (A) to Side Arms (E) and (F) using Bolts (G).
3. Tighten all bolts. Re-fit exhaust hanger rubber.
Try loosening the side plates back off so they are loosely attached as instructions, then loosely attach the the mainframe then tighten all the bolts up, if you can get bolts in the tow-bar will flex about till sitting correct when fully tight.

hi georgen,

thanks for the reply. I did try that one yesterday but still could not get the towbar to move up into place. The bend in the cross bar seems to sit off centre of the spare wheel compartment (but centre to the car) and hits on the spare wheel compartment stopping it from moving up behind it into place behind spare wheel.

If you bought it new, get in touch with them in-case the box contains a mixed tow-bar or the wrong tow-bar, just because you buy something that should be one thing doesn't mean it contains that product, mistakes happen.

well just wanted to add an update. managed to get the towbar installed. but not by following the instructions, so if anyone else has difficulties heres what i had to do.

slacken of the bolts on the exhaust/passenger side completely

undo the forward most nut ,holding the side plate to the chassis, on the drivers side so that plate is hanging off.

attach the towbar to the passenger side bracket and push it as far towards the drivers side as possible.

get a friend (i got the wife) to pull upwards on the ball of the towbar whilst you attach the cross member of the towbar to the bracket

push the side bracket back up into place, i then used a trolley jack to hold it in place whilst resecuring the plate to the chasiss.

retighten all bolts.

• Like 1

I might buy a towbar.

Is your wife available next Tuesday? :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club