Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Testing A 138Bp Ecoboost Zetec S For 2014!!!

Torchwood

Hey all,

I have been doing some thinking and long term planning in the driving seat, and during this i read online and been told at a few dealers, that ford are currently testing a 138bp Ecoboost engine for 2014 Fiesta. It will be an increase of 15 bp to keep competition with other makers in its class available for the Zetec S model.

Welcome news i say, i think Ford are worried that Renault and Peugeot etc will run away with the market and greater horses under the bonnet. The gap between the ST and ZS is quite big and this will reduce that, and depending on the mpg figures will probably go ahead.

What do you all think... Has anyone else heard about this, it certainly has not been mentioned here from what i have searched. I have no idea on gearbox selection i.e 5 or 6 gears, or if they will solely concentrate on the engine, or other areas.. Styling, interior or wheels etc.

I read that it may be available in january or march 2014.

It'll be the Metal equivalent, was mentioned on here a little while back :)

Mines began dyno testing today and the guys at Collins are very happy with how consistent the power runs were, they're thinking they could get 140-145 no problem, add in the cat back exhaust and performance air filter system and they think 150 should be possible. It's not until you start thinking about intercooler and perhaps an uprated turbo that you'll produce big power.

Mines began dyno testing today and the guys at Collins are very happy with how consistent the power runs were, they're thinking they could get 140-145 no problem, add in the cat back exhaust and performance air filter system and they think 150 should be possible. It's not until you start thinking about intercooler and perhaps an uprated turbo that you'll produce big power.

How will the warranty stand with all that going on....

These figures appear accrurate & conservative (some tuners seem to exaggerate figures like these to help sell their products/ services)

An uprated intercooler is unlikely to make as big a difference as some would make out (space is limited anyway, apparently), but a bigger turbo cold make a significant difference - it will be interesting to see how much power is possible from the 3-cylinder 1L turbo ecoboost

FOCA, I'm really impressed by Collins performance, they look to offer power gains that are noticible but offer a smooth improvement in power throughout the rev range. From everything they've said I would imagine this means 160-170 bhp and 210-225 torque figures respectively before, your talking about bigger turbos, Collins aren't too sure how this would work though as they've studied the figures from the formula ford, and believe the lag that would occur from using the 1.6 turbo would completely change the power delivery when fitted to the 1.0 engine and would result in a fair bit of lag.

It's seems the formula ford was a 1.0 engine with the 1.6 turbo, custom intercooler and pipe work and a high flow exhaust, it seems like the power was either on or off with that car due to the fact the remap wasn't very well written, he thinks they just plumped for a high bhp figure rather than a drivable road car map.

Cost?

Or are you letting them use your motor as a guinea pig....

Hopefully only the tank of fuel they use whilst testing :P

Using your car as a tester then?

Will this put any undue pressure on the existing engine, like turbos etc...? Make it prone to higher wear, working harder that sort of thing.

I really need to go test drive a 125 ecoboost, had a drive in an ST2 last week, wow that was nice! :D :D B) :D

Nah, not with a Collins remap, they look for smooth progressive power increases in there maps, matched up with exhausts and intercooler upgrades so that it's not just the turbo being cranked up.

I'd imagine the ST is a whole different level of fast, but this things rapid standard.

News just in Collins have her running with 137 @ the wheel from remap alone, can't wait till they've finished with her. They think she'll be nudging 150

News just in Collins have her running with 137 @ the wheel from remap alone, can't wait till they've finished with her. They think she'll be nudging 150

That is very impressive - my Mondeo is quick with 141Hp at the wheels, although it is lightened/ has a lot of torque your Fiesta is much lighter and im sure it will really shift with that sort of power - with rapid acceleration - not far off a Fiesta ST,

Its the power that actually reaches the wheels/ tarmac that really counts - many tuners/ mappers exaggerate the "fly"/"flywheel"/ "crank" power (its meaningless and "guessed" from the wheel Hp - the engine needs to be taken out of the car and fitted on an engine dyno to measure it accurately) - i have printouts of remapped/ tuned Mondeo ST-TDCIs (2.2L) with "180Hp crank power" with only 135 wheel Hp - less than my "161hp" 2.0L (141Hp at the wheels- the last time it was tested)

You may have other tuners/ ecoboost owners claiming their map/ tune/ car is more powerful than yours but in reality, it is not

So I've picked her up this afternoon and wow, what a difference! The torque just keeps pulling!

Total cost £0

Collins are looking for someone with a 100ps version for remaps, FOC so anyone in the Cheshire/North West after a free remap let me know!

I'll try and post up the dyno screenshot soon.

Looks like you beat Ford to the punch..... Pity you cannot exercise some bragging rights for fear of warranty!