Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Central Locking Problems

nkjm37

I have a 2001 ford focus 1.6 lxi, in the last few weeks my key fob stopped working, I wasn''t too fussed as I could still use the key to lock and unlock the car with no problems. now the car wont unlock at all the drivers door the boot the back doors or the passenger door wont unlock, yesterday I was stuck in Tesco's car park for over an hour before it finally opened but since I got home it wont unlock at all.....Any ideas woujld be very helpful and it's quite urgent ...please help.

Hi Nickm

Sounds like a possible water ingress issue. It could be a faulty central locking module.

Disconnect the battery and then try open the door. It should at least allow you to unlock one door. Then, with the door open, reconnect the battery and start trying your keyfob. It should now work, but if it doesnt, it would suggest you do have water ingress.

You may wish to remove the central locking fuse in the interim period so that you can at least unlock the door manually.

Thank you for your help, I used some wd40 on all the locks and I managed to get the passenger door open but the drivers side and the boot still wont open with the key. They will both open from the inside so it's just a case of finding out exactly what's wrong and fixing it....Thanks again for your help.

In that case, disconnect the battery, open the door from inside after climbing over the upholstery and give the lock mechanism a drowning as a start point!

Definitely water in the drivers side RCL module.

My MK1 used to randomly lock and unlock itself when wet and with the engine running.

I used to have to carry a spare key in case the car locked itself while warming up prior to leaving the works car park.

Plenty of WD40 around the module behind the door card will help, I'd check for corrosion on the module and connectors while there.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club