Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk7 - St Vs 1.0T Ecoboost Realistic Motorway Mpg?

gasket

Hi folks.

Newb here - about to buy my first ever new car and am massively excited. I've rented a car from enterprise for 28 days so need to order my new one fast (will post pics)

After a long look at PCP deal, insurance quotes, etc - I've decided on a Fiesta and am torn between two models the ST and the 1.0T Zetec-S. Strangely for my particular circumstancses they are almost identical in cost to insure. There's less than £100 difference.

So I've done the sums and the X-Factor is the fuel economy -this will tell me whether I buy a 1.0T Zetec-S or the heavenly ST. I'm in the lucky position that I could afford all other running costs for either.

I appreciate that there are similar threads about individual fuel economy but I'm hoping to get as accurate comparisons as possible.

I cover 9000 miles a year and of this, approximately 6000 is on the motorway travelling between the same two motorway junctions. Traffic in the morning is clear and in the evening is a little congested so there is some stop start.

I drive quite sensibly - cruising at 80mph on the satnav and generally use the power to accellerate onto the motorway and for smooth overtaking (plus the occasional blast through the countryside).

Would anyone be able to estimate the realistic fuel economy for the above circumstances for both the 123bhp 1.0T Ecoboost and the 178bhp ST?

The book says

1.0T Zetec-S Average MPG 65.7

1.6T ST Average MPG 48

While I appreciate that these figures will be much lower in the real world - my gut feeling says that given the majority of my miles are on the motorwway that this would favour the more powerful ST - perhaps bringing the real-world figures closer together.

Could anyone advise?

I fear another ST vs ZS war starting here so let's keep it real & play nice, lol

I'd say if you are doing a lot of motorway driving and can afford the ST then I'd go for that as I think it's a high amount of short town driving which will hit you hard petrol wise with the ST

• Like 1

I fear another ST vs ZS war starting here so let's keep it real & play nice, lol

I'd say if you are doing a lot of motorway driving and can afford the ST then I'd go for that as I think it's a high amount of short town driving which will hit you hard petrol wise with the ST

Literally your first sentence I had in my mind whilst reading his topic. We should all keep out of it and let him decide with all factors taken into consideration... Only point I'll make is I do around 8k in a year, and my 1.0 gets me easily 60-65mpg on the motorway. But if you can afford the money in between shirt journeys I would say ST. They're 2 completely different cars that you can't compare. Ones a hot hatch, ones a jack of all trades. You compare an ST with a Polo GTI, Clio RS or other hot hatch, not a lower base model of the same manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Where's wesmst2 when u want him, lol ?

• Like 1

Where's wesmst2 when u want him, lol ?

Lol, reputation on the forums already!

Apologies guys - I really don't want to rehash old ground with ZTS VS ST.

Not trying to compare the two cars or their benefits - I've driven both and am impressed by each in their own way.

Specifically looking at the impact of motorway driving on MPG for the two choices. All other factors (performance, comfort, residuals, image, etc) have already been included.

If I can get the fuel figures to add up - I'm going for the ST, if not I'd be happy with the Zetec-S.

Many thanks.

I won't say anything else about that, lol

Gasket, I'd go for the ST if you can afford it

The st's worth the 10 or whatever extra less miles per gallon if you can afford it, all down to personal choice with other factors. But the st is the top of the range so if your circumstance allows then why not get the top of the fiesta range ? Your obviously not getting a fiesta for gadgets or you'd get a titanium.

Hi

If you can afford the car you can afford the fuel economy

Jamie

Hi

If you can afford the car you can afford the fuel economy

Jamie

That may not be true in some cases

Then if you cannot afford to run the car then dont buy it simples

Jamie

• Like 1

Thanks folks.

Being able to afford the fuel is no problem - however I'd like to gauge a realistic figure for each to decide what impact the difference int he fuel costs would have on my weekly budget so I can decide whether (for my personal circumstances) the impact on my wallet is worth the added performance of the ST

Would anyone like to hazard a guess at the fuel economy figures?

1.0T Zetec-S - does 45mpg sound accurate in the real world (figure from older posts on FOC forums)

1.6T ST - I've heard 37 sound accurate?

Think ZS is slightly more if it's mainly motorway journeys

Unless you're planning on buying one already in stock somewhere, be prepared for another couple of months renting a car

Then if you cannot afford to run the car then dont buy it simples

Jamie

I think that's what he is trying to establish, lol

Nathan where are you when i need you :-(

Jamie

Reading his last post, maybe not, haha

I stand corrected ;-)

If your considering buying an st and only worried about fuel which is minimal difference In the real world, then just get the st it's a far better car for your money.

I love my zs don't get me wrong but if at the time I could afford insurance on the st I'd of ordered one in a heartbeat

If your considering buying an st and only worried about fuel which is minimal difference In the real world, then just get the st it's a far better car for your money.

Agreed

But to answer your question I'm

Averaging 40mpg on around town drives, like 45-50 on motorway journeys but that's rare as I can't help my lead foot.

Ace - thanks Nathan. I'll go with high-40s for the Zetec-s.

...just need a similar figure from someone with a ST.

Yep - happy to wait if the car I want is not in dealer-stock, I'm on a good deal in a hire car at the mo so could roll it over for a couple of months.

[if its of any help to understand what I'm doing - II'm working out my budget in a simple spreadsheet comparing the two cars like-for like:

• Best monthly price I can find from speaking with lease brokers comparing the two cars I'm considering (Zetec S, Solid Red plus 17" alloys or ST - standard out of the box) - both choices with same £1000 deposit on a 36 month PCP.
  • Insurance - paid outright, Fully Comp gained using all comparison sites and car mag brokers. Same Excess on each.
  • Road tax where applicable.
  • Servicing (estimated)
  • Fuel. I know how many miles I do. I know how much fuel is. I just need to be able to calculate a weekly cost for the fuel I am likely to use.

Adding up the above gives me my running cost. Yes I could afford either if needs be but I will draw the line somewhere - I like to work out how much something is going to cost me before I make a purchase.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Sounds like you have it all worked out

If it helps, I do around 150-250 miles in a week, short travelling, and never put no more than £20 in my tank.

• Like 1

So you can do upto 1000 miles on £80

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club