Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Pressed Number Plates?:s

ashleymount95

Seen a lot of peaple going on about getting pressed number plates?:s may sound stupid but what are they?:s haha

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Illegal.

straight to the point :D

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

You can sell anything even it's illegal for the road, they'll just have a clause saying for show use only or something.

For better looking plates an overlooked option is just to get completely plain ones, no boarders or dealer names.

These pressed things do seem to be making a return though, a few years ago it was all about 3/4 plates.

Stoney is pretty much bang on unless you have an old vehicle.

Read the following documents if you're in any doubt :-

• DVSA V796 "Display of Registration Marks for Motor Vehicles"
  • UK Statutory Instrument 2001 No. 561 "The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001"
  • UK Statutory Instrument 2009 No. 811 "The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) (Amendment) Regulations 2009"

To summarise :-

1. Pressed number plates can only be use for display purposes (i.e. not on public highway) unless the VEHICLE (not the registration mark) was first registered before 1st January 1970, i.e. the registration mark would of the form XXX999? where ? is the letter A to G, or H but only if registered between 1st August 1969 to 31st December 1969.
  2. In the case of the VEHICLE being resistered before 1st January 1970 then the plate must have a black background with either silver, white, or light grey letters.
  3. You can NOT use pressed plates that have white/yellow backgrounds (as per current regulations) unless the vehicle is not on a public highway.
  4. This means even if your acquire a cherished/vanity registration mark that was first used before 1st January 1970 then you can not use pressed number plates on a vehicle that post dates 00:00am 1st January 1970.

H.T.H.

So what's the different about them to the normal ones?:s still confused?

Regular plates are just plastic, these ones are metal and pressed so you have raised 3d effect on the lettering. unsure why they are illegal personally, all in the name of uniformity no doubt.

O right is that it? surely the police would not pull you tho? I mean hids and most led light's are not meant for road uses but iv never been pulled for them?

Most people just carry the proper plates in the boot and attach them with velcro, unless the copper is having a bad day it's doubtful you'll get stung but you never know, if you have the proper ones you can just try and wing it, say sorry it'll change them now, copper drives off, number plates changed back.

If you can be bothered with it all anyway.

Think I will just stay with normal ones pretty sure no one would see the differents anyway tbh! I'd raver stay away for the police!

Part of the reason is that metal can reflect more than plastic. If you get flashed by a speed camera, the metal finish can reflect the flash thus obscuring the number plate. This is seen as obstructing the speed camera in its duty as one thing. Also it can reflect sunlight more, so even cameras (such as SPECS) that do not use flash, can still struggle to read the plate in a particularly strong sun.

I wonder what 'proof' the seller in my above post claims he can provide in the event that I get pulled by the police. Guess he's talking out of his !Removed!.

Well here's another thing, I work in H&S although irrelevant to the motortrade, I am doing some work with British Standards institute at the moment, nothing that they produce is actually legally binding.

They are a business and they create standards to provide businesses with a selling point to induce customer peace of mind that is all / selling point and as a back up in case of a fault / liability issue you will not be able to see the text of the standard unless you buy a copy from them ( copyright material ) which in some cases the books are hundreds of pounds for book over about 50 pages long. They essentially are the same as ISO in Switzerland, just a standard and not a requirement, not quite what I thought prior to working with them.

Legislation also states to BS or EU equivalent and this is always open to interpretation, also they are not by the looks of it certified by BSI, for them to do this they have to pay a substantial amount of money to do so and have them inspected by BSI and generally once this is done they display the icon from BSI which can only be displayed once they have been approved and certified, I am not actually sure on the legality of them saying they comply with BS whatever without actually buying the standard from them and going through the certification process

Also for the records on British Standards Compliance, they are not all certified or can be self certified by the manufacturer / seller etc.

For the fun of it I will contact the seller on eBay and see what he has to say, he does say proof can be sent, I'll ask for a copy of the standard text and see how his work matches up and his certification from them.

Will be interested to see what, if any, response you get.

Sent from my ST26i using Ford OC mobile app

Just sent him this,

Short and sweet, lets see what he says, if he replies I'll check with BSI after and see what they say lol

Wondering if you can help please.

I have seen this plates on eBay and a large number of Ford
and Renault Forum members are quite interested in them as well.

Can I ask are your number plates more specifically these
ones

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Embossed-Pressed-metal-Aluminium-GB-number-plates-100-ROAD-LEGAL-/171154960996?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27d9a17264&clk_rvr_id=633837845016&afsrc=1

Certified by BSI they meet the required standard in terms of

current legislation or are they a self certifying standard with them?

Well I think we should all ignore this guy,

Clearly an idiot and cannot even read a simple question.

Hi Matt

thank you for your enquiry.

Yes the item from eBay you sent me are our plates.

best regards

Paul

So in short, interpret that they are not legal, anyone willing to back that up should have in theory tried to destroy me via email.

Just sent this back to him.

Hi Paul,

Sorry that isn’t really answering my question,

Are these plates actually legal to use on a Post 1970 car in the
UK? You state they are made to BSAU 145D, which doesn’t actually cover pressed
plates at all, It’s just about being reflective, font spacing, Personalisation
IE a Company logo and the fact they should be made from Acrylic?

So are these actually legal?

Thanks.

Matt.

The word evasive springs to mind.

Hi Matt

I am really sorry don,t know what i was thinking there...a senior
moment,

All our plates meet british standard requirements and pass MOT requirements

For plates to be legal in the uk they have to meet performance requirements set
out by the british standard BSAU 145d,

the performance requirements are:

• Made with a retro reflective background

• Uk font digits

• Correct spacing

• Carry’s bs number & manufacturers details

According to british standard 145d law under ref 1. scope (note)it states
clearly number plates may be manufactured from any material not just perspex,

I have a statement from the BNMA (the british number plate manufacturers
association) who along with dvla oversee the bsau 145d law on number plates and
this states aluminium plates are allowed.

I am happy to
send a copy of this to anyone who purchases the plates

hope this helps

best regards

Paul

Very very very Dodge!

Purchase at your own peril!

If the law does actually say that, and the plates meet reflective standards etc (which he claims they do) then surely he has a point.

Or has he just misinterpreted the law.

Interesting to know seen as I bought some plates of him a couple of weeks ago, thanks for asking him.

I doubt he's taken legal advice on this, and to be honest an email from someone isn't going to help any of us, and I've read the conditions and they say

http://www.jepsonandco.com/pdf/Number%20Plate%20Legislation.pdf

You'll see these all mention acrylic,

This below is recent too.

http://www.policespecials.com/forum/index.php/topic/136915-pressed-metal-number-plates-uk-compliant/

Seems they had a fair row over this, need a spare £104 to buy the standard.

They are number plate s where a machine is used to emboss the reg number into the alloy plate usually black background with silver letters, from 50's

They are number plate s where a machine is used to emboss the reg number into the alloy plate usually black background with silver letters, from 50's

We're talking about fitting yellow (back) and white (front) for modern cars but not made of plastic, made of metal, ie my 1995 fiesta or the OPs mk7. Fitting black/silver on our cars is obviously illegal, and I'm sure I'd be pulled before I got to the end of my road.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club