Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grinding Groaning Noise When Turning/reversing Right

Anska

Hiya, I have a Mondeo 2L Zetec Tdci Diesel 2010 with about 35,000 on the clock. Well serviced and maintained.

Occasionally I have a grinding noise (sounds like a door opening in a horror movie!) that I've noticed at different volumes when reversing with the car on right lock and going down a slight incline.

Yesterday it happened for the first time when turning right going forwards up a slight incline. Now, this is not necessarily on full lock but it has happened on full lock.

I happens about once a week and I can't seem to replicate it (I've tried using the same parking space and the same manouver but no luck).

As I can't replicate it, I'm loath to take it to a garage (I've been in with little niggly problems before and I suspect they think I'm a nut by now!)

Does this sound like something I should be worried about in the short term because I'm tempted to wait until it gets worse (almost certainly) and more replicable before going to the garage or does it sound like something that could suddenly 'go' and cause an accident or much worse damage?

Does it sound like a normal problem or easy to fix (I'm not very mechanically minded as you might have guessed)?

Thanks very much for your help and advice and possible terminology I could use to explain my problem to a mechanic.

Annie

As I can't replicate it, I'm loath to take it to a garage (I've been in with little niggly problems before and I suspect they think I'm a nut by now!)

I wouldn't worry about that; garages think everybody is a nut. Mind you, they also think that everyone is a nut who wants to shovel money at them, in order to shut them up.

I can't really place the sound from your description. Is there any chance of recording on, eg, a 'phone, and posting it on here? (It won't help me much, given the distorted sound out of my laptop, but it might help somebody).

Edit:

You seem to say that it sometimes happens on full lock; most often, or is it just random?

There seems also to be an element of going uphill or downhill involved; always sometimes or random?

No element of weather involved; just when it is dry, for example (not that it has rained much recently)? Just when it is hot?

Edited by BOF

This is the thing, BOF, it's not something I can replicate at will - I'm lulled into a false sense of security for a few days and then suddenly, out of the blue, I'm doing a manouver and it grinds/moans and I'm left thinking - "what did I do!" and then trying to replay it and it doesn't happen the second time.

It always happens at very low speed and weather has been dry (we've not had much rain to test that).

It's always when the car is on a right hand lock - either full or part lock.

I think reversing down a slight decline or forwards up a slight incline is a factor - maybe the car's weight is pushing on something.

I'm assuming that it will simply continue to grind more and more as I drive - the problem is not going to fix itself for sure - until the point it does it regularly enough I can get a proper idea of a pattern. I'm getting to the point of opening the window everytime I'm about to do a manouver in a carpark, just in case it moans, to at least spot which part of the car it's coming from - a wheel bearing or something?

Thanks for your reply and help

Unfortunately, what you say isn't very specific. there is loads of stuff that might make some kind of groaning noise (any of the rubbery bits, such as bits in the suspension - anti-roll bar drop links, universal joint boots, exhaust hangers, door rubbers and probably a lot of stuff, in for example the interior trim that I haven't thought of).

It would certainly be worth checking the level on the power steering fluid, because that can make some odd noises if that goes down (but, if it does go down, it would raise the question where it is going to; where you park, would you notice if it was dropping some fluid on the floor?).

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club