Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Overheating Engine/no Heat From Blowers.

skullnstars

Hi guys, its my first post and it may be a but lengthy so bear with me. I have a bog standard 55 plate 2.0 TDCI 130ps.

Last night my wife got in having been out in the car and said the cars blowers were working but no hot air was passing through even though the car was up to temp.

Today the car started over heating after approx 5 mins of driving. I checked the water level and the water appeared brown/dirty which struck me as unusual.

My first though is that the water pump has gone, and therefore isnt pumping water through the system to send heat through the blowers and to the radiator to cool the engine. Does this sound likely, and would this explain the dirty water in the resevoir?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

When water pumps fail it's either the bearing seal or the bearing itself which fails (there's not much else to a water pump) - if the bearing fails it takes the seal out with it anyway. In either case the main symptom is a puddle under your engine and the water level dropping, but you don't mention any water loss. I've never known a water pump which remained watertight but stopped pumping water. Brown water isn't really a symptom of anything much, I've had cars with water which looked clean enough to drink and I've had cars which seemed to be cooling themselves with tomato soup. (The only exception to that is that it could indicate a head gasket failure, but you'd be getting other symptoms.)

Cooling problems could be caused by your thermostat being stuck shut, but your heater should still work, in fact the heater would probably become extremely hot as the water overheated.

On my Mk 2 the auxiliary drive belt, which drives the water pump, also drives the alternator and power steering pump, so if yours is the same then failure of the drive belt would cause you to lose power steering and your alternator light would come on. Just in case yours is different and perhaps has a drive belt just for the water pump it might be worth checking that.

Apart from that, and the possibility of some sort of blockage in your cooling system, I don't really know what to suggest! Hopefully others who are more familiar with your engine might be able to advise you.

When water pumps fail it's either the bearing seal or the bearing itself which fails (there's not much else to a water pump) - if the bearing fails it takes the seal out with it anyway. In either case the main symptom is a puddle under your engine and the water level dropping, but you don't mention any water loss. I've never known a water pump which remained watertight but stopped pumping water. Brown water isn't really a symptom of anything much, I've had cars with water which looked clean enough to drink and I've had cars which seemed to be cooling themselves with tomato soup. (The only exception to that is that it could indicate a head gasket failure, but you'd be getting other symptoms.)

On some of the V6s the water pump has a plastic impeller, and the impeller shear from the drive shaft, which leaves you with little/no water circulation but the water doesn't leak (until it boils, locally). Anyway, I have no reason to think that this affects your engine....

If the coolant was previously clear/whatever colour the antifreeze makes it and has suddenly gone brown, probably local overheating has dislodged some ball of sludge in the cooling system. If nothing else, this points to having to change the coolant as part of the repair - it probably isn't the fault, per se, but there shouldn't have been a ball of sludge to come dislodged, if the coolant was in good condition.

(It will have got cold recently - was the antifreeze changed according to schedule and known to be protecting down to a reasonably low temperature? Was it the right antifreeze, and not mixed with anything incompatible?)

Stuck thermostat or airlock in the cooling system seem like the best bets, on the evidence, so far, with a side bet of anti-freeze being suspect.