Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noisey Rear Suspention again

cartman690

Help

My car rattles like a tin of nails as it goes down the road empty... :o

This maybe a strange question, but how can you tell if rear shock absorbers are faulty my car rattles when the car is empty. the less weight in the rear the worse it gets. I've removed spare wheel and kit, removed carpets shelf, folded the seats flat. the lighter the rear gets the louder the rattling gets. I'm shure its the shocks but when you take them off the car they seem fine, no slack no rattles, the top mounts are fine not loose, the rubbers, top and bottom are fine and thers no wear in the lower mount bolt shafts. I've checked the rear springs. The anoying thing is I cant get it to make the noise when its not going down the road, and "if I sit in the back whist the wife drives not the best thing in the world to do" it shuts up...anoying doesnt go near it...its driving me nuts...

So far I've lifted the car supported the body on stands lowered the rear suspention so its hanging down, checked wheel bearings, radius trailing arm bushes, shocker top mounting fixings and there's no slack or sign of knocking.

I've sat in the back with the car on the ground and jumped up and down in the boot and still cant make it do it...if I put over half a tank of fuel in it it shuts up...

I'm sure its the shocks but as I said I cant prove it.

Does anyone know how to test gas shocks.

or has anyone had and solved this problem.

Thanks cartman690...

Ive seen this plenty of times before on the fiesta/fusions. If its not the rear seats witch you can tell by folding them down (as you've already done) its the axle plate frame banging on the bottom of the chassis.

Undo the (3?) bolts on each side that bolt the axle to the frame and give the plate a good greasing. Use some heavy duty stuff and you should be sorted. I'd recommend c.v. boot or high melting grease.

• 2 weeks later...
Help

My car rattles like a tin of nails as it goes down the road empty... :o

This maybe a strange question, but how can you tell if rear shock absorbers are faulty my car rattles when the car is empty. the less weight in the rear the worse it gets. I've removed spare wheel and kit, removed carpets shelf, folded the seats flat. the lighter the rear gets the louder the rattling gets. I'm shure its the shocks but when you take them off the car they seem fine, no slack no rattles, the top mounts are fine not loose, the rubbers, top and bottom are fine and thers no wear in the lower mount bolt shafts. I've checked the rear springs. The anoying thing is I cant get it to make the noise when its not going down the road, and "if I sit in the back whist the wife drives not the best thing in the world to do" it shuts up...anoying doesnt go near it...its driving me nuts...

So far I've lifted the car supported the body on stands lowered the rear suspention so its hanging down, checked wheel bearings, radius trailing arm bushes, shocker top mounting fixings and there's no slack or sign of knocking.

I've sat in the back with the car on the ground and jumped up and down in the boot and still cant make it do it...if I put over half a tank of fuel in it it shuts up...

I'm sure its the shocks but as I said I cant prove it.

Does anyone know how to test gas shocks.

or has anyone had and solved this problem.

Thanks cartman690...

they did have a problem with the hand brake cables rattling. as the sheath is metal. you need to work it about and you'll first hear it creaking. keep doing it (both sides) till they don't make any more noise. then lubricate them, that might cure it. i've done a few that had that problem.

Hi Gaz thanks for the advice bin busy. a recap ive jacked it up and slakened off the 3 bolts each side holding the trailing arms on there is no plate under the chassis to grease re tightened bolts still the same nothing was loose there...(advice?)

I went to ats got them to drive it they checked rear suspention cant find whats doing it said maybe trailing arm bushes but also said ther is no slack in them and also they look uk... they did rule out shocks springs rear bearings etc and said all are ok...

I have since noticed it doesnt do it on wet days, what thats about I dont know! any Ideas welcome cartman690...

Hi Bobalob when I was in there I found that cable rattle i put a piece of cable tie in there to stop that also the cable was out of its clip behind the heat plate and tapping there, but it hasnt solved my major rattles thanks for help though..cheers cartman690..

ford had a problem with the exhaust heat shield rattling and hitting the body ,check they are good and tight.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club