Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bulb Advice & Clarification Needed

Brycie
聽Share

Hi all,

Will do my best not to sound too dumb (quite tricky for me), but I've never had a car with xenon lights before.

As per my signature, we have a Mk4.5 Titanium X. I believe the dipped beam bulbs must need replacing as they're kind of yellowish & don't throw light very far ahead at all.

Firstly, I'm not sure what type of lights the car has, but it's the kind that move on the road in the same direction as the wheels are turned.

First question is, are these xenon cornering lights?

From research, I think it's D2S bulbs I need, is that correct? That's my second question.

And finally, is it only the D2S bulbs I need to change, or are there separate bulbs I need to change for the cornering function?

I'd really appreciate any help with this. As you can probably tell, I may need this explained in layman's terms 馃榿

As far as I know these arent xenons. Easy way to check is do they have headlight washer jets? If no, they are not xenons. Its adaptive cornerning lights that are fitted to a standard titanium x and I believe these just take normal h7 bulbs. I may be wrong on that though.

You say the headlights move in the direction of travel? Like side to side? Thats adaptive cornerning. Xenons dont do this and instead self level to the road surface when you first turn them on and you'll see the beam move up and down.

I have the mk4 titanium x sport. The sport is what comes with xenons as standard.

On another note the fact you say your beam is quite dim and yellow leads me to believe they are just standard halogens in there. In which case upgrading to some osram cool blue intense h7 or whatever the equivalent philips are should do the trick in giving you a brighter whiter throw of light.

• Like 1

To explain the difference between adaptive cornerning lights and xenons a little bit more, adaptive lights as said have beams that move side to side with the wheels in the direction of travel to light up corners better as you go round them.

xenons self level, by moving up and down when you first turn them on. Also though instead of having adaptive cornerning where the whole beam moves round a corner, they have an extra h1 high beam bulb in each of the headlights. So at low speed when going round corners one of the extra h1 bulbs lights up in the direction you are turning. For example turn the wheel right and the right headlights extra h1 bulb will illuminate. Same for the left. I believe if you are in reverse this gets reversed also so if you turn the wheel right, the left h1 bulb will iluminate.

This confused me the first time I was reverse parking into my parking space late at night and I had extra beams shooting off all over the place. Thought it might be the fog light coming on as I know some cars have it where the left or right fog comes on in the direction your cornering, which looks stupid as it appears as if your driving round with 1 fog light out. Doubley ilegal.

All become clear though when I decided to upgrade my high beam h1s for better bulbs and was puzzled for a second on discovering I had 2 h1 bulbs either side till I sussed out what the extra bulb was for

• Like 1

Oh balls. Just wasted 拢60 on some D2S xenon bulbs. Oh well,cback on eBay they go. I checked Ford ETIS & it only told me I have advanced Lighting System. When you first start the car, the lights do a sweep from side to side once, before settling in position. Interesting to know it's the main beam that come on when cornering, like you, I'd assumed it was one fog light. Thanks for all your help with this. Does this new info shed any new light (no pun intended) on which bulbs I have? I could always get a picture of the cluster if it would help?

the main beam coming on when cornering applies to xenon headlights, not adaptive corning headlights which is what you have. with your headlights it is the dipped beam that corners. As said I believe the bulbs you require are in fact just standard h7 halogen bulbs. not xenons.

obviously the easiest way of checking is to simply remove your headlight and take the bulb out to check.

hate to upset you though but i believe that if you did actually have xenons i believe you still got it wrong as it is actually d1s they take, not d2s. mine takes d1s anyway

• Like 1

Lol, so I was going to get it wrong in either case. Got the D2S info by putting the rev into Autobulbsdirect website.

Thanks for clearing it all up for me, that's a big help.

There may be some variations then across the range but I've had my headlights out to check and I do have ds1 xenons as they have the built in ignitor. Mine is the mk4 so I'm pretth sure your mk4.5 would be the same had it had xenons. Believe the focus st has ds1 also and I've seen bulb changes on a mk3 mondeo st which again had ds1.

Can you clear something up for me though which will certify whether or not you have xenons, do you have headlight washer jets?

Wifey has the car at work today, but Ford ETIS says no, it doesn't have washers, which I guess from your earlier thread decides it.

• 1 month later...

Coming back to this thread as I've now sold the xenon bulbs on & can now buy some standard H7 dipped beam bulbs. While looking at the Wife's headlights the other day (easy gents, I meant on her car), it looked like there were 4 bulbs in the cluster. Could this be 1 H7 bulb for the dipped beam & 1 H7 bulb for the cornering function?

I was trying to review Brigante's posts to see if the answer was in there & I'd missed it, but I can only see page 1 of the thread now for some reason?!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club