Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dpf (Diesel Particulate Filter)

Dru

The engine warning light has come on on my 57 plate 2.0l diesel Mondeo.

I have taken it to a garage who told me it was an issue with the DPF. I then had a DPF regeneration done. The light has since come on again.

I travel 100 miles a day round trip to get to work on the motorway.

I have been told that it could be an issue with one of the sensors but in order to change that I would have to have the whole unit changed which includes both sensors and the filter, and this would cost me a lot of money.

The car has done nearly 160k miles and I wondered what effect it would have on the car if I was to just keep on driving it to work every day?

I only need to make it last till April as I will be getting a company van then.

Am I ok to keep driving it until the engine warning light starts flashing before any serious damage is done?

I don't want to spend money on it 6 weeks before I'm about to get rid of it.

Any help would be really appreciated

• Like 1

Whens the MOT expire?

If its been and gone, just get the thing removed, much cheaper, remap included, and at the end of it, you dont have to worry as you wont own it anymore, and when you pass it on, you will have made the new owners life much easier in some ways :D

I don't understand what you mean? Do I not need a DPF? I know minimal about cars

You dont need a DPF, there are companies who offer DPF removal, its a darned site cheaper than replacement and because it should remove all trace of the DPF presence, all errors assosciated should be killed off.

The problem is that DPF removal is technically an MOT failure, however if its dont properly (gutted and resealed) then it should be fine.

I'm taking it that it's not something that I could just stroll into any garage and ask for then if you know what I mean? I would need to carefully find the right garage to do it?

If it is still driving ok, I would have thought it would survive another 6 weeks....?

agree with Alex here, if it drives OK you should be fine, but yeah if you want the service you need to google local pro's who can remove it.

It drives fine at the moment. I'm just waiting for that day when it goes into limp mode whilst I'm 50 miles from home.

My plan is to keep driving it until that day comes, then look at getting it removed. Will doing that cause any damage to the car?

No damage, it has been seen that blanking the egr and removing the dpf can in fact improve emissions testing at mot time

Please excuse my ignorance but what is an EGR? My knowledge on the subject is literally non-existent. Also, all the help and advice here is/has been really helpful. I really do appreciate it a lot and thank you all for this

Egr as mentioned is exhaust gas recirculation, it takes thee Christ gas, revirculates it and reinjects it to the engine along with fresh air so it burns twice. It ups the heat and reduces the nitrous oxides that come out the exhaust but it clogs with soot and does horror things to your car in its sleep. For a fiver or less you can block this off, get more power, more response and more reliability in the car.

just keep driving it, but at some point it will go in to limp mode as after a number of attempts to regen will enable limp mode, i do doubt it will last till april though,

on the mondeo the dpf is usually robost and its normally the pressure sensor that packs up. get a garage who knows how to diagnose proper and not just do a static regen and cross fingers, dpf stops regenerating for a reason

Do a static regeneration with forscan, 15 quid well spent...

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club