Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Idle Speed Control Valve on a MK4 1.3LX (endura engine) ???

Shaman

Hi all I'm new to this forum!

My 1998, 1.3 LX festy (73k miles) has developed the dreaded over revving on gear change problem, when you depress the clutch the revs remain too high so it sounds like a first time learner driver... I have to take my foot of the gas and let the revs die way down before making the gear change wherever possible.

I have researched it a good bit and have found lots of information on the problem but no definite cure, so anyway here's my fault description and question.

I have found that pulling in to the side of the road whipping off the "Idle Speed Control Valve " spray it with carb cleaner it knocks a little black out of it each time but its clean as new really cures the problem for up to a week at times and sometimes for a few days. So I got an I.S.C.V in the local car dismantlers which was manky dirty inside so I cleaned it out with carb cleaner and installed it - it only lasted a few days when problem returned.. It could well be another faulty valve so brought it back and they gave me another one which again needed a good cleaning out it was also manky, but haven't fitted it yet as I'm waiting for the revs to return in a few days after cleaning the original valve again.

If the carb cleaner spray cures the problem (if only for a few days at a time) is this fault definitely a faulty I.S.C.V or should I be doing something else! The car dismantlers yard could well have a pile of dodgy valves also as it seems a very common problem, don't want to waste money on a new one until I'm sure that is the problem?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!! ;)

The over revving during gear change is usually down to a faulty throttle position sensor. Its a well known problem. There's a modified wiring harness/multi plug available from ford.

If the revs are fine when sitting at idle i would say your idle control valve is ok. The carb cleaner you've been using is probably whats been solving the problem temporarily.

The over revving during gear change is usually down to a faulty throttle position sensor. Its a well known problem. There's a modified wiring harness/multi plug available from ford.

If the revs are fine when sitting at idle i would say your idle control valve is ok. The carb cleaner you've been using is probably whats been solving the problem temporarily.

Thanks gaz6076!

Is it expensive do you know? How difficult is to fit or is it a job for a ford dealer?

The revs are fine other than when you press the clutch it doesn't drop to idle speed for a gear change!

The carb cleaner into the ISCV sorts it every time but not for more than a week usually It's a pain!

I don't think the parts that expensive. Having never done one myself I can't say what's involved as I try to stay clear of wiring jobs ;)

It's a common fault that ford know about. Maby someone else on here can help you or, if you ask nicley enough when you're at ford...