Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil and fliter change

fiesta_lad

Hi all how easy is it to do a oil and fliter change on a fiesta 1.3 endure e engine 1.3 petrol on a 51 plate. also how often do you have to do these changes the last i had one done was january this year iam not a high millage driver i say i do 35 miles a day or less plus i drive on motoways now and again.

Because iam looking saveing a few pounds and try and do it my self instead of paying a garage £30 but i know this might sound stupid but iam scared incase i do something wrong and have to pay out more to get it fixed.

Also one more question were is the oil plug underneath the car and were is the oil filter located.

Thank you all for your time hope to hear from you all soon thanks alan.

Assuming you're not worried about warranties and all that with your car, oil filter / oil changes are pretty basic for any car.

The oil plug is usually under your engine - some cars may need you to remove splitters and bits of plastic body work for access. I put a washing up bowl underneath ready. Run the engine for a couple of minutes to warm the oil gentley, which makes it come out easier.

Once all all has drained, you need a fresh oil seal washer. (Though with my old cars I didn't bother and they are fine). Screw the plug back in tight, then move on to the filter.

You will usualy need an oil filter removal tool, I have one it's a socket extension but has a cloth type strap. You wind it round the filter and turn hard, but let the turning pressure from the strap turn the filter initially, it start's very slowly - you can see it turning obviously, but just don't expect it to unscrew very easily. The new filter will show on the fitting diagram to rub a touch new oil on the rubber seal I expect, to help it come off next time. The new filter goes on hand tight.

Oil needs to be the right spec, there's synthetic and (an older type - I forget). Your motorworld / Halfords will be able to advise. Obviously check with your handbook and make sure you get enough oil to fill the engine - e.g. a litre bottle won't be enough! Plus you'll have some spare for top ups if your engine is leaking a bit of oil (older cars do this it's fine as long as it's not loads).

Oil services are simple and quite satisfying, however, if you research the prices of the oil filter and oil plus the tools, you may find it cheaper to give it to the garage after all, just to warn you.

If you do go for it, let us know in this thread how you got on. I don;t have any Fiesta specific tips, I've doen oil changes on a MK3 Golf and a '93 Audi 80, both simples enough. Hardest part is getting the oil filter off.

Good luck!

(Please don't sue me if you break anything, I'm not a mechanic, just some bloke from the internet!)

some good advice already given. should be a very straight forward job on the fiesta. as already said run the engine to warm it up, lets the oil out easier and also pulls more dirt out with it. leave the oil to drip out as long as you can, the more dirt out the better.

the sump plug should be a 13mm hex IIRC, so just a standard 13mm spanner will do. if it is this type you will probably get away with re-using it.

as for removing the oil filter there are many different tools available, wrenches, cups, straps... personally i preffer using the filter cups but thats only because they fit nice and snug.

when refitting the filter just make sure you smear oil on the seal, this helps make it seal better against the metal.

your engine will take 3.25 litres of oil, prefferably 5w/30. when adding the oil, it will appear at the top of the dipstick until you start the engine, this will fill the oil filter so the level will drop a bit. the oil light will stay light for a few seconds aswell until the filter is filled.

as already said it may be cheaper to take your car to a garage to get the oil changed but the satisfaction of doing it yourself is unbeatable, atleast you know its been done proper.

just read your post again and realised ive missed out a few of your questions.

most people tend to change there oil at half the recommended interval (especially on turbo diesels). i change mine at 6k miles which is roughly 3 services a year for me. a 6k interval for you will be pretty much half way as 35 miles a day works out to 12740 miles a year

not sure on your oil filter location although i reckon it will be quite visible on the front of the block.

take your time, dont rush it and it will go sweet. you can rush the next oil change though as you will know what your doing :P

some good advice already given. should be a very straight forward job on the fiesta. as already said run the engine to warm it up, lets the oil out easier and also pulls more dirt out with it. leave the oil to drip out as long as you can, the more dirt out the better.

the sump plug should be a 13mm hex IIRC, so just a standard 13mm spanner will do. if it is this type you will probably get away with re-using it.

as for removing the oil filter there are many different tools available, wrenches, cups, straps... personally i preffer using the filter cups but thats only because they fit nice and snug.

when refitting the filter just make sure you smear oil on the seal, this helps make it seal better against the metal.

your engine will take 3.25 litres of oil, prefferably 5w/30. when adding the oil, it will appear at the top of the dipstick until you start the engine, this will fill the oil filter so the level will drop a bit. the oil light will stay light for a few seconds aswell until the filter is filled.

as already said it may be cheaper to take your car to a garage to get the oil changed but the satisfaction of doing it yourself is unbeatable, atleast you know its been done proper.

just read your post again and realised ive missed out a few of your questions.

most people tend to change there oil at half the recommended interval (especially on turbo diesels). i change mine at 6k miles which is roughly 3 services a year for me. a 6k interval for you will be pretty much half way as 35 miles a day works out to 12740 miles a year

not sure on your oil filter location although i reckon it will be quite visible on the front of the block.

take your time, dont rush it and it will go sweet. you can rush the next oil change though as you will know what your doing :P

I paid for my Son's oil/filter change over the 'phone to ATS, and that was £36 inc VaT, using Castrol Edge, which is the correct dear stuff for his SEAT. ( £48 in a local car accessiries shop, for 4 litres)

Yesterday, I had my 1 year service done by Ford, and they used Castrol Magnatec, also 5W30 grade, but that only costs £36 in shops, but is correct for Fords still. ( Mobil 1 5W30 would be good, but dear).

KWIK-FIT quoted me £45 last year for the oil/filter job on my Son's SEAT 1.2 3-cylinder engine. They are known to be dear.

The Endura E engine is rather old, and may be OK on semi-synthetic 10W40 oil,-- check on opieoils website.

I will give it a go the weekend and let you know how i get on thank you everyone for all the info.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club